/FSG/ Fermentation Station General

As in the previous threads, this is all about the fermentation, long term storage, curing, home hooch concocting, and the general discussion of the life force we breed into our food and drink stuffs--which makes them not only delicious, but pretty damn good for you too. The informational links are a growing dialogue, so maybe post a link to something you found overly useful or very interesting and it might find a home in the below. Let's learn together.

What is lacto fermenting?
culturesforhealth.com/learn/natural-fermentation/what-is-lacto-fermentation/

Beginner lacto fermentation recipes
thespruce.com/lacto-fermentation-fruit-and-vegetable-recipes-1327727
farmcurious.com/blogs/farmcurious/17599580-lacto-fermentation-recipes

Lacto fermentation brine calculator
pickl-it.com/blog/737/brine-calculator/

Fun fermenting YouTube Videos
youtube.com/watch?v=Ng2zOFADe0s&list=PLKtIunYVkv_S7LqWqRuGw1oz-1zG3dIL4

Canning 101
simplebites.net/canning-101-the-basics/
seriouseats.com/2012/02/how-to-can-canning-pickling-preserving-ball-jars-materials-siphoning-recipes.html

Home brewing 101 & recipes
northernbrewer.com/learn/homebrewing-101/
homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipes/

Curing 101
melissaknorris.com/how-to-dry-cure-meat-at-home/
breakingmuscle.com/healthy-eating/home-curing-101-create-delicious-cured-meats-at-home

Hot search keywords: BOTULISM... AM I GOING TO DIE????, jarring, fermented hot sauce, ginger bug, air locks, kombucha, scoby, sauerkraut, tepache, pickles, kimchi, ginger beer, kefir, fermented vegetables, fermented breads, refrigerated meat curing, home brew, kvass, tempeh, yogurt, kham yeast, t'ej, miso, koji, sourdough, fermented condiments, homemade vinegar, natto, fermented honey garlic, mead.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuchikamizake
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

anyone have a full proof kvass recipe for someone who has never made it?

I made some kimchi this week! This is the 4th time I've made it. I'm growing mustard and my ginger plant died off with the cold, so it was time to make something with it!

-Mustard Greens
-Napa Cabbage
-Green Onion
-Carrot
-Daikon Radish
-12 Cloves of Garlic
-Ginger
-Homegrown pepper paste
-Anchovies (my new favorite fish sauce/fermented shrimp alternative)
-Sugar and just a tiny bit of juice from the last batch to get the good bacteria going.

I got compliments from one korean grandma and one guy who misses his korean grandma's kimchi, so I'm pretty pleased.

A cool chart from my Food Microbio class showing the amount of each predominant bacteria in vegetable (sauerkraut) fermentation

and some stuff for the nerds

Life of Boris made kvass. Look it up on YouTube

Now that's a really damn cool chart, and really good to know.

the only thing I'm fermentating is my dinner in my tummy

I demand pictures

I want to make kimchi too, any tips?

I know one important thing is after salting the cabbage let it sit overnight to draw out a lot of the water. At least that's what my korean wife does.

brother got me one of these for christmas. once i get around to making a big batch of pickles I'll post here

I'm at work, but I'll post pics later. I salted my cabbage and mustard, mixing it up every 30m and then left it overnight in salt and the water it was pulling. Other veg and paste went in fresh

Just opened a jar of a week old kimchi to let the gas out and noticed the fluid is very very slimy. That shouldn't happen right? It doesn't smell or taste off though.

Sounds like you fermented it too long. While a week to two weeks is pretty standard, different environments can speed up fermentation. Was it perhaps too warm where you were fermenting it?

If it smells fine and you didn't see any unfamiliar fuzzies then it's more than likely fine. Just a little on the soggy side.

Oh, and it could have also been the quality of your cabbage. If its older its prone to going more limp quicker.

Has anyone tried making their own Kuchikamizake?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuchikamizake
Kuchikamizake (口噛み酒, " "mouth-chewed sake") is a kind of rice-based alcohol produced by a process involving human saliva as a fermentation starter. Kuchikamizake was one type of the earliest sake. Kuchi means "mouth", kami means "chew" and zake is the rendaku form of "sake."

TLDR: Chew up rice, spit it out, wait for ???, it frements into a sort of homemade sake

Seems like a cheap way to get drunk or at least have a little bit of fun but there's hardly any info online about actually making it. Anyone here have any insight?

Am i going to die?

well the recipe calls for virgin saliva so I guess youll be fine

Yeah I know that's one of the main reasons I thought it would be a good idea

Just make regular sake. If you don't want to make your koji-kin rice starter you can buy it on-line (I make my own). Then it's just a matter of steaming rice, mixing with water, acid blend, koji kin and adding yeast. If anyone's interested I could post the recipe. I just started another 16L yesterday.

Interesting, but I wouldnt trust it. The mouth is not a place you want to be getting your cultures from. Yikes. Rather just use store bought koji.

bump

While it's true the mouth is host to any number of organisms, the fermentation would probably rely on the ones that thrive during the fermentation process. Pathogens that get spread mouth to mouth are less of a concern because they need the environment of the body to survive and being in a fermentation chamber for a couple of week will kill most of them.

Why does my kimchi always discolour into translucent yellow? Tastes fine otherwise.

Does lactobacillus really die in the stomach? I'm pretty sure it shouldn't. Doesn't necessarily mean it's still not good for you. Just wondering.

Lactobacilus is your friend. People with food poisoning should eat foods containing them, because it helps to reconstitute the healthy gut flora.

That wasn't my question.

Is 12 gloves a lot for kimchi? That seems like a lot in some recipes ive seen that only have like 1 or 2 in them. Doesnt it overpower it?

they don't, they produce acid so they are resistant. I just pointed out how they help you fight GI infections.

Thanks!

i would like this.

Looking for new species of chiles to ferment. Anyone has a preference to a particular kind?

So far I've done Jalapeno, Serrano, Fresno, Santa Fe, Habanero, Arbol, Cayenne, Thai.

>General

The thread is fine, its just faggots are more interested in fast food shitposting.

Try tobasco. I grew tobasco and habanero this year and fermented them and strangely, the tobasco is by far the hottest out of all of them.

Wish I could, hard to find in my area.

I don't know if this belongs in this thread, but I just got some water kefir. What I'm in for? I just made my first batch and it's going to be ready on sunday.

Cool, glad to know there is some science up in this board