Post your christmas gifts if yw got any, otherwise post your main knife/knives
This is my new one, shun 10"

inb4 not real damascus reeeeeeeee

not real damascus reeeeeeeee

Its not real damascus, but vg max is breddy gud
Just glorified folding and acid etching at best

I am unimpressed OP

how many times was the steel folded?

I got this knife for myself for Christmas.

Grandmother got me a decent bit of copper cookware.
Copper bowl for egg whites
Copper sauce pan ~6qt (with lid)
Copper 7" sauteuse
and a set of miniature copper cookware (as somewhat a gag gift)

>miniature copper cookware
pic related, quarter for scale.

another general? fuck off

As opposed to what? The millions of webm threads with the same fucking webms? You fuck off.

as opposed to just a regular thread you inbred fucking faggot. babby need a general to post in?

over 9000 (penises)

>I am unimpressed OP
You shouldnt be ... Is that your knife in the picture? Holy shit, that edge looks horrible. One chip next to another. Did you try to hack through a railway track with that knife or something?

kek it's saw toothed almost

Completely serious here, does anyone actually still make custom knives with the folding method anymore using modern metallurgy in lieu of forging?

The folding can still be done to incorporate different steels. But generally no it's not done as it was originally to remove impurities and modern blade steel billets are going to be 100% pure.

bob Kramer

Neat, thanks.

>tfw nobody gave me a Shigefusa for Christmas

I want to buy a knife that will make me forget all my mistakes and make people like me. Any tips?

See

I know nothing about knives, but work got me this for christmas. Is it any good? More pictures to come.

I think I used them before I took this picture so don't judge by the spots.

adorable

A chef once told me this part is important so I took a picture of it for you /ktg/.

thanks, i thought so too

sure, tamahagane kitchen knives exist. have fun dropping 4 figures on a knife that looks the same as shirogami 2

How big of a difference is there between whetstones? I've been thinking of buying a set

Significant, shapton glass is breddy gud

Got a masakage koishi gyuto for Christmas, haven't had a chance to try it out yet though

t. Oprah

I've been looking around and I'm leaning towards shapton professional #320, #2000 and #5000. They are a bit cheaper than the glass ones from what I can find and they seem to have good reviews.

Got a masahiro knife, the type starting with s thats one sided. Im amazingly sharp, im too worried about it going blunt that i dont want to use it

Dalstrong my dude.

Received this along with a king 1200 stone. I know it's not the fanciest but I'm no professional so I'm glad to have them. I'm still a little apprehensive about grinding a bad angle, but I suppose practice makes perfect.

Those are decent enough knives. 40-50 bucks for the set I'd guess. A full tang is not really needed for kitchen knives as you wont use them to lever stuff open or hack through hard stuff with them as you would do with a real camp knife or a military knife.

Took this when I was at a knife shop in Tokyo. Felt a little touristy as nearly all the other patrons were foreigners, but it was neat to see an old Japanese man intricately engraving knives.

Ended up picking up pic related. There were things I liked better, but I'm satisfied when it and I was strapped for cash anyways.

Which brand is that?

Thats very expensive knives. Reminds me of that other user who was driven out to the country to buy knives from an old man

Those are Masamotos
That is not a Masamoto, and k-u is housewife-tier, but at least it's not as bad as what this guy is referring to Some user bought spray painted knives, it was embarrassing

Lmao, i remember they were black but they weren't full coat, something about the manufacturing process i think he said.

Yeah fortunately the price he described was something like JPY3.000 which is still unreasonable considering you can get low-end k-u for not much more, but could have been worse. It's like passing off a child's painting as a picasso and selling it for "only" $1000

No one has been hating on this post so I suppose I can assume people find my choice reasonable.

320 is pretty coarse. I use an 800 for my coarse stone. 1200 medium stone, and 6000 fine stone.

under 400 is what you use for putting a new edge on a chisel, plane, or similar tools. Also used to create a new edge on a blade. Or repair major damage.

I wouldn't particularly feel comfortable going directly from 320 to 2000.
If I were buying shapton pro today I'd likely get:
220/320, 1000/1500, 5000/8000.

If I had ZDP-189 or HAP-40 or similar steel i'd get a 12000/30000

I know I will want to be able to put a new edge on the knives, so I suppose the 320 stone will stay.

The 2000 could very well be 1000 or 1500, I honestly don't know enough to decide between these.

But the 5000 seems to be a decent place to stop for now and get something finer later if I feel a need to.

I don't need to worry about having particularly hard knives at least.

5000 is good enough for most western knives.

220/320 is for creating a BRAND new edge.

I can put a new edge on with 800 no problem. 220/320 would be like if you want to change the bevel angle or something and want to remove a LOT of metal from the blade.

You can destroy your blade with such a coarse stone if you don't know what you're doing.

Is 800 better for grinding down chips in the edge?

I realized you pretty much said it is.

So should I go for 800, 2000 and 5000?

Yes, for most steels. If you have something super hard like ZDP-189 with an HRC of like 65+, then you might want a coarser stone. But for normal stuff at 58-63 HRC you shouldn't have any issues removing minor chips with an 800 grit stone.

Coarser stones remove more metal with each pass, unless you've got major chips to repair, you likely wont need such a coarse stone.

For someone new to sharpening getting a King 1000/6000 combo stone is by far the cheapest way to start learning. You can always buy better stones later when you know more about what you're doing.

Present off my girlfriend.

Tojiro

Not all of the knives in the first pic are masamoto. Also, what's wrong with kurouchi? I'm just a fan of how the finish looks.

Nothing wrong with a decent kurouchi, but when it looks like it was applied with a can of spray paint, thats a problem.

My sister asked me for kitchen knives, but I'm a poor neet.
So I got her three knives from this Spanish artisanal maker called Pallares.

They are made in xc75 carbon steel, sharpened by hand, handle in boxwood. Pic related.
I took a 16 cm leaf-shaped chef knife, a 12cm paring knife and a 9cm utility knife.
All for 60€.

Did I do good ?

Just curious what makes it housewife tier in that case. I know professional chefs prefer a fully polished finish, but I was curious if there's a functional detriment to ku or if it's an issue of form/presentation.

It's generally just ease of maintenance, you can abuse it a bit more since you're not worried about keeping a mirror polished blade.

With a reactive cladding and reactive core steel you'll still need to be wary of moisture, but it wont show stains or patina as obviously as others and will provide slight resistance to rust compared to reactive steel without a kurouchi finish.

Alright here's mine

next, invest in a nice, maple cutting board and stop cutting on your counter top

tfw got another shig santoku for christmas but I will never use it because I have a CCK

Thats my workshop desk, kitchen has a bamboo butchers block

yeah that's ok user

that's kamata right user

Yup. You've been?

You do know that real Damascus is two different steels (one soft, one hard) folded together, right?

And that when the edge of a real Damascus blade is presenting both the hard and soft that the edge is not the same as a homogeneous steel blade, right?

Or are you just laughing because you don't actually understand what you're talking about?

>the edge of a real Damascus blade is presenting both the hard and soft that the edge is not the same as a homogeneous steel blade, right
...zoom in on the picture nigger, it's chipped all over the fucking place.

yeah last jan. bought a petty that looks like yours. bretty gud price for tokyo desu 7k jpy iirc. hafta admit the nashiji finish looked better than their kuroichi. wish i got that one. kamaasa a few meters ahead has mostly western handles but they had a foreigner working for them. and further up tsubaya cutlery has a lot of different makers. bit steeper in price. kkf said they carried takedas but i didn't know takeda then so i missed on trying it first hand. tsubaya area had some different knife stores as well

Got a king 1200 stone as a gift and have no knife sharpening experience. Is it fine to use as a sole stone for sharpening my knives? Is there anything else I need for using it? Just watching video guides, seems some people have a another stone for flattening the top.

Yeah, the knife I got was ¥8k, which felt pretty inexpensive. Dunno, there's just something about the kurouchi finish I like. Was with friends at the time and they had other plans so I didn't have that much time to check out other shops around.

To flatten your stones you use a truing stone. You generally will want another higher grit stone if you're sharpening japanese knives. 1000/6000 is a basic combo stone that is popular for basic sharpening of japanese knives.

forgot to ask what steel that carbon was doe. you could also get a tax rebate 8% since they issue receipts there i know i did

for a cheaper option you could use sandpaper user. or a drywall screen. concrete pavement should be fine too

Okay, so literally anything coarse enough to grind it flat with.

yeah just make sure it's flat like sandpaper on glass etc you get the drift. also you can get a toothy edge on a 1k stone which is perfectly fine for cutting

Is a gyuto a good first knife?

Kind of? In the same way a chef's knife is a good all purpose knife to own (they're more or less the same thing, but gyuto usually refers to specifically Asian knives). Gyutos aren't "starter" blades if that's what your asking, but they're useful for just about anyone, compared to a, say, meat cleaver which you'd only need if you're hacking apart bones and thick slabs of meat. If you need a chefs knife and prefer japanese style knives gyutos are just fine. Japanese knives aren't inherently better, but they're pretty trendy at the moment.

My friend was going to get me a Gyuto, but he didn't know what one would be good, so he just gave me cash to buy one.

The fuck makers are actually good? Amazon has plenty, but I can't tell if they're just marked up because of nothing or not. I'm looking to get one with the classic style handle, preferably octagonal instead of round, but eh. Mostly just want to know what brand names are good to look for.

I mean I know how to handle a Western-style chef's knife so I'm not starting from nothing. The stuff I use right now leaves a lot to be desired so I figured why not get my own?

I haven't used one, but I've often seen tojiro knives recommended as as good quality to price ratio knives.

A gyuto would serve you well then, just don't expect it to be radically different from chefs knives you're used to (difference in blade quality notwithstanding).

the ones you usually see in amazon are chinese shit branded as japanese sounding names. Save for tojiro and sometimes zakuri knives. how much did he give you as your budget. maybe try cktg to get to know some makers at first. jki has 7 usd shipping you can get a budget one akin to tojiro but mono steel and a lower hrc namely fujiwara. both western handle btw. well tojiro has a white steel with the usual ho wood so you can look that up. metalmaster has some tanaka knives but comm is tacky and fit and finish is not that good but you can finish them as you like. pretty cheap too same with fujiwara and tojiro 60-70 usd

jck not jki rather

Got this for christmas. Obviously cheap in comparison to what u guys use, but i'm curious how well they work.

thats an ok murder kit but you need to buy gloves and zip ties.

$300 budget, but I'd rather keep it under $200. I was originally looking at a couple $100-$150 blue #2 knives for a while that amazon had, and a decent whetstone.

you should invest in a decent wetstone, sure the quality isnt as good, but you can make due with what u can. just invest 10$ in a wetstone

get a yuki white no. 2 and a combi stone should set you back 200 burgerbux. Or try moritaka if you want blue

They look ridiculously short and it only has 2 or 3 useful knives

are wüsthof a meme?

Wow did I call it or did I call it

You dont really need a truin stone. ddraw a grid pattern on the stone with a pencil, then rub it once or twice over a sheet of sandpaper on a piece of glass. See where the grid is rubbed away, use those parts more during the next sharpening session. This will keep your stone more than flat enough without wasting a lot of time and material on trueing.

>are wüsthof a meme?
No, they are good quality if you know what you want from a knife. Other knives may offer more performance, but a Wüsthof wont quit and will need much less maintenance. Just like Ferraris are nice cars, but pretty useless to a farmer, he needs a tractor instead

Yeah I did that shit for years and wasted a ton of sandpaper and time. Eventually I coughed up for a 150 grit diamond plate and holy shit, I wish I had done this before. So much time wasted.

I find it funny when people will bother cultivating a niche hobby skill like freehand sharpening and then skimp out on essentials because "you can get by with this gimpy workaround"

Oh also I have a truing stone rattling around a drawer somewhere. 0/10 would not buy again. Get the lapping plate.

you got the jki plate user how is it? i was considering it since it's cheaper than the atoma. is it true that it's not perfectly flat

I got the one from the site everyone hates (not jki)

It's not perfect, but it gets the job done

walmart of knives gotcha thanks