Tea

So apparently I've been doing tea wrong.

My electric kettle doesn't have a temperature setting, so I just let the bitch boil until it turns off and pouring it over whatever I'm steeping. Some teas require certain temperatures to steep properly, so how do you bros do it and what do you use? Recommend an electric kettle?

Also tea thread, recommend. My personal favorite right now is probably Spring Gold First Flush Darjeeling.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Zojirushi-CD-WCC30-Boiler-Warmer-Silver/dp/B01LWMWU59?th=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They don't work fast enough on American electricity to justify the expense.

it’s fine just wait a minute or something. why do white people make such a fuss about tea? simplest thing in the world. seriously. can’t mess it up even if you try. it ain’t rocket science.

230v master race reporting in, since time began my people have made tea with boiling water and added milk and sugar or lemon and sugar.

>American electricity

Its really not that big of a deal, the tea tastes fine, but I was just curious if it really made a difference. And I would prefer if the water is as cold as it needs to be to brew so it doesn't need to cool as long.

if you really care then get a zojirushi water boiler and keep it at the 175f setting

i drink a lot of tea so i can easily go through the 4l capacity in a day

He phrased it poorly but there are different voltages between EU and US outlets. It's not a huge issue these days as many appliances have a voltage range or a switch, but for some older appliances you need a converter.

Derp.

The grid in the US is 110v/220v In developed countries it is 230v/400v.

My impression was that electric kettles made for the European market heat faster because they can take advantage of the higher voltage.

Correct, to get same performance from 110v the current would have to be too high than is practical. I x V = P

Dont even get me started on the performance of the toasters. They just dry out bread instead of sealing in a warm chewy centre that soaks up butter.

Global superpower, 110v.

Yes.

Also yes, but unless you're heating large amounts of water it's a matter of another minute or two. An electric kettle is still handy.

I wish we had 400v mains in the states. I'd build a homemade electric chair.

Which is precisely why you muppets shouldn't have that sort of voltage.

>DURR MURRICANS

What else would it be useful for? Heating water?

Not really what I was going for but sure.

Besides reduced infrastructure costs and transmission loss, sure.

3 phase appliances both 230 and 400. Dont you yanks have 220v dryers?

Current kills, voltage just breaks through the resistance of your skin plenty of people are killed with 110v. Higher voltage makes it more spectacular though.

yeah we have 220v split into two phases

Industrial ovens, smokers, tilt-skillets, steam jacketed kettles, a commercial automated dish washer, deep fryers. ETC ETC ETC. Those plugs just scream scary.

don't knock it till you've tried it, mate.

What do I and P stand for?

>only worthwhile brands are the Jap ones
>Japs are on flat 100v, not even 120
>"it's pointless with just 120v!"

So you dont have to take your pants off. Just unzip the fly

I = current
P = Power (watts).

Yeah but everyone buys those stupid pouch underwear with no fly now.

>breville
>russell hobbs
>De Longhi

>De Longhi
>125 bongbuck kettle
>still only has a 100-degree mode
>Breville
>also 125 bongbucks, 1-star rating on the manufacturer's own site
>Russell Hobbs
>doesn't even make a model with a temperature selector

you're the kind of guy who defends Lucas electrics, aren't you. Zojirushi will sell you a temperature-selectable model with a slightly higher capacity and a coffee drip mode for a third of the price.

Why the fuck would I want a temperature selector? So my soymilk doesnt seperate? Fuck off homo.

So you can have proper tea rather than leaf soup.

You trying to tell me how to have proper tea mate? THE BLOODY CHEEK OF IT!

I can't handle the bantz.
What ELECTRIC KETTLE would you recommend just for traditional kitchen everyday uses, with the temp control?

YOU "PUT ON THE JUG" TO MAKE WATER 100 DEGREES CELCIUS, YOU DINNAE NEED TEMPERATURE SETTINGS FOR AN APPLIANCE THAT IS DESIGNED TO BOIL WATER FOR A BEVERAGE THAT REQUIRES BOILING WATER.

I BEG TO DIFFER

Bantz aside, it really depends on where you are and what/where/how you drink. If you've got a ceramic teapot, can commit to having all your tea at one time and then doing a wash, and only do black tea, you can actually get away with a simple boiler like the other guy suggests, and those are cheap as chips in Europe. (Traditional teapots are designed to take that boiling water down to 95, there's actually a BS and later ISO spec that goes into detail.) Unfortunately, in the US they're not as cheap.

For office or casual/through-the-day use with a lot of oolong and the occasional green, which is my use, I'd go with an entry-level Zojirushi or Tiger, which are around \6000 in Japan for 2.2 liter (and occasionally available in 220v for Chinese private import) or around $100 in the US for 4-liter. I have a CD-WBC, the CD-WCC is a newer model with better insulation or some poorly-described shit. The problem with these is that they're terribly overpriced weeb-bait in Europe and navigating Chinese online shops to get a fair price is a huge pain.

Also, there are slightly cheaper older Zojirushis without the temp selector, but these actually are useless except as compensation for 100v mains and should be avoided.

Fuck me, yeah they seem overpriced, the cost of the boiler warrants the construction of it to be made of fucking Inconel.

I found this one for $100 amazon.com/Zojirushi-CD-WCC30-Boiler-Warmer-Silver/dp/B01LWMWU59?th=1
But I think Ill probably just get to know my one-and-done kettle and just gauge by sound.

That one's the one I'd go with if you're in the US and use it unpredictably throughout the day. Remember, it's also a large thermos, which is a lot of the expense and will pay for itself in around a year of heating to 100 to cool back to 65 once per cup.

But yeah, if your use case is the occasional preplanned cup of black, it makes less sense.

Who cares what kettle you use, just get something cheap with a solid build and non poisonous materials. To get your temperature you should pour the water into some sort of container where it can cool and use a thermometer and a timer. See how long it takes to reach your ideal temperature. Next time you don't need the thermometer just the timer, then you can approximate it in your head after a while of doing it.

Bonavita gooseneck, but I think next time around I will try a Japanese water heater.

I have this. Never confirmed the actual temperatures, but everything tastes good

English Afternoon

I do notice a bit of difference in some of my loose leaf greens brewed at a higher temperature than recommended, a more bitter taste.

I recently boiled water in a whistler on my cousin's gas stove and it seemed to take way longer than my 120 volt kettle.

Wait for it to stop making noise and then pour.