I earned my Introductory Sommelier Certification this week. Any other wine geeks/industry people on here...

I earned my Introductory Sommelier Certification this week. Any other wine geeks/industry people on here? Ask me anything.

Are you gonna make decent money?

Congrats and what wine pairs well with Aphex Twin?

>Sommelier Certification
wow you are going to be the talk of your local hipster bar tomorrow aren't you?

hipsters drink more PBR than wine. A decent sommelier can make money in a steak house, French restaurant, or fine dining though.

A dry, funky Alsacian Gewurztraminer

since I still can't/won't call myself a sommolier I'm going to continue serving at the steakhouse I work at. I make decent money for the amount of education I have
checked. and nah, that would be a cicerone

Congrats. I love wine and have done a fair amount of reading and tasting, but I haven't pursued any certifications.

Congrats. How much work/training was it to get this?

>I make decent money for the amount of education I have
That's well enough, I hope you earn more as you become more knowledgeable in your chosen fields

what's the best wine I can get for under $5 a bottle?

I'm trying to decide between wset and the court courses, any tips? Also if I had no formal training and studied my ass off could I do the intro sommelier court?

at almost $600 for the course it's a pretty steep cost of entry. The course is from 8am-6pm for 2 days followed by a 70 question exam. It took a lot of prior preparation/knowledge. I was lucky enough to work at a place that had an internationally recognized wine program where I learned a lot from the sommoliers.

absolutely. I'm sure it isn't too hard to find a copy of the intro course workbook online; also check out GuildSomm and sign up for their free trial. As far as WSET vs CMS, I chose the latter because it's a lot more self motivated and you can become certified much faster. WSET being a 3 year program is both costlier and more time consuming with the same end result.

thank you!

what kind? red, white, sparkling?

Ta mate, genuinely useful response, I'm off to have a chat with a MW qualified guy on the 29th and another MS guy a few days later here in London, I'm an old git (30) looking to move into sommelier /cellaring /buying so just trying to work out what niche to head for.

Thanks again for the info

>steak house
>sommelier
I bet I could do that job

Scumbag with guy fieri hair: aussie syrah-cab blend
Faggot with "banker hair": left bank bordeaux
Fat douche with a panerai: super tuscan
Aspiring upper middle class: napa cab
Poorfag graduation party: aussie malbec

So is it safe to say that the places that really need a somm can't afford one?

depends. If you're talking a decently sized importer/distributor/retail-chain store then they typically have the capital to spend on a somm (though most larger companies look for people >level 2).

In terms of restaurants, I've heard rumors that the best 3 Michelin restaurant in my city has to restrict their books and can only do at most 50 covers a night. I think it would be difficult to keep a somm on staff in that sort of environment. Especially one on salary

How many times have you watched SOMM?

my bored uncle got this classification. know what he told me? The tannins are in the grape skin.

ENJOY! fucking retarded certificate. Show me your gaping asshole certificate and I'll give you more respect.

fuck that millennial shit, I wanna know how many times op has watched Sideways

They typically won't they just educate the fuck out of their staff

Are you going to get your Cicerone as well?