/beer/

New beer thread because it pissed that one faggot off. Are you a cool enough dude to complete the 5l hopslam challenge? 40$ and you can drink your liver into permanent damage like a fucking wino.

Latest haul: Lagunitas Willetized Coffee Stout, Spaten Optimator, Founders Backwoods Bastard, Modern Times Nitro City of the Dead
Dis gon be gud.

Willetized at least tastes like it's got whiskey in it. Good man.

Yeah, it has a pleasant booziness to it. I got the last one on the shelf.

>Modern Times Nitro City of the Dead
Well, shit. This was fucking delicious. Rich, creamy and decadent. Plenty of roasted malt goodness, prevalent but not overdone cocoa, pleasantly subtle almond and sea salt. A lovely dessert beer.

I didn't enjoy hopslam, it was very bland for a beer hyped to be bursting with hop flavor.

had this last night & really liked it
i'm really enjoying sours atm

any beer that can be bought at a liquor store is shit, any beer that you have to go to the brewery to buy is good

Had an Oskar Blues Old Chub scotch ale on nitro last night, that shit was tasty. Bartender was fucking up and gave me a pint of that and the imperial stout I'd had before it instead of half pours so I was a little too drunk to appreciate it fully

Why

anything bought at a liquor store is mass produced garbage, anything bought at a brewery is made with more care and consideration, meaning it's better

What's your take on breweries w/ taproom exclusives but also distribution to liquor stores

I assume it's going to be a bad take

what happened in the last thread? I'm too lazy to look it up

if the beer is only available to the taproom or in cans/bottles/growlers that are only available in the brewery it will be good, if it's made for the taproom but will also be distributed to liquor stores then that means it was made for mass distribution and will be shit

Even small batch/limited release stuff? Indeed Brewing in MN is a pretty good example of what you're describing EXCEPT for their small batch sour series. They still get distributed around the state but are leagues ahead of their other releases.

>Even small batch/limited release stuff?
if small batch/limited release stuff is distributed to liquor stores then that means it is meant to be mass produced and distributed and is shit. if it's only available at the brewery then it's not and is good.

what brewery hurt you so badly

some more recent ones I picked up. I think i'll open a willettized in a bit, still haven't tried it.

and clean my fridge I guess. looking pretty gross in this pic.

should i cellar this?

What makes you feel this way? I think from the tap is the best way to get a beer, but I don't think the quality jump to cans or bottles is so great that I would label it trash

do it. I didn't like it from the bottle as much as draft. Ended up trading one of mine for this bean spirit double maple in the pic and some other stuff.

>Obvious troll is obvious.

A brewery is a company designed to mass produce and distribute beer.

I wouldn't. I think the maple flavor would get over powered by the other flavors in the beer over time.

>responding to this dumb shit seriously
Just ignore retards.

deschutes pacific wonderland with my lunch. need to get some more of this because i feel like i could session it all night

They might have a valid point with certain breweries though

daily reminder that porters > stouts

I think a well-executed no-frills stout is better than any porter, but most porters are better than meme-y stouts.

Just want to say whoever drinks coffee beers is fucked in the head.

This is nice

do you say this because you don't like coffee? Typically coffee notes go really well in dark beers but if you don't like it in the first place then it's an issue

also coffee blonde ales are the tits

not enough places make rye beer these days

hopslam was basically one of the first double IPAs, we have a much higher standard of hoppiness now than when it was originally formulated

>should i cellar this?
I bought 3, drank one right away, cellaring one for at least a year and haven't decided what I will do with the 3rd yet

reminder that most beers that are labeled stout or porter could be labeled as the opposite and no one would complain

The real question is why does anyone drink coffee without beer, coffee stouts are way better than any regular coffees

Surly has gotten boring but pic related is the best coffee beer I've ever had

Ive tried darks and blondes and both taste like shit. I like coffee, i just think when you add it to beer it fucks it all up like hey lets put some ketchup in my ice cream
>INB4 he doesnt put ketchup on his ice cream

They aren't boring, there are just a lot of other options in this state now

The roasted malts/barley put across a lot of flavors coffee does already.
I did have a coffee cream ale that was actually very good though.

Sixpoint C.R.E.A.M. is fucking amazing

>IPA

>sours
>stouts
>barleywines
>poo-rters
>IPAs
>imperial anything

real great contribution to the thread

Just say you don't like beer next time; or maybe just avoid the beer thread altogether.

I’ve never had a beer from Sam Adams I would intentionaly pay more for, unless the alternatives were warm miller lite, or I had been drinking the same beer for a month.

I honestly never liked coffee until I got into beer. Now I find that I enjoy coffee more, having learned to appreciate its notes in stouts and such.

>I have the palate of a 12 year old, the post

Winter lager's bretty gud though

KILL YOURSELF YOU FUCKING FAGGOT

So do any of you make their own beer? What are some of your favourite combination of barlay? at what times and quanteties do you prefere to add the hops and why?

MN friends, what are you drinking for the game?

I had bought some Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA, but for some reason the whole sixer was flat. So I went and bought some Furious, which to me is still good more than a month after canning.

SHIT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT'S ALL GONE WRONG

too hungover to drink again. I have some fulton 300 in the fridge but I probably won't crack one unless my stomach settles down a bit

So these are all 2017 releases, but I'm laying off drinking for a while. But I have no experience aging beer, I usually just drink it.

What's the general best by date if these are all in a relatively cool place? Other than the Backwoods Bastard, they're all high ABV stouts.

The Best.

>Eclipse
My local place has been trying to sell a variety of these (aged in different barrels) for an incredibly high price (like $25+) - they've been on the shelves for at least a year or two. Are they worth it?

I've never tasted a dark strong beer that seemed too aged, some sources will say don't go over 3 years, and I have rarely had the patience to do so, but I have yet to experience one going too long

that picture is making me extremely jealous

as for cellaring, the most important thing is to keep it away from light. 1-2 years seems to be standard for stouts (i would go with 1 year).

Drinking this right now. First time trying a barley wine. So far it tastes like beer with some vodka in it, is this normal?

>beer with some vodka in it, is this normal?
um, no
Usually taste somewhat boozy, but are very flavorful

I do not have enough beers for this. The one time, ONE TIME, I decide to root for the Vikings.

On a more related note, I will defend Surly Furious to the last. It's a fantastic beer, as long as you're eating something salty and/or greasy.

Don't forget Aaron Rodgers is back next year

Its certainly flavourful, but on the finish its as if all the flavour goes away and im left with just vodka and it's burn. Although as i drink more its certainly getting better

I've only had the vanilla so far and it was weak. I want to say I paid $30 for each of these. Wouldn't buy again.

Yeah, I would definitely recommend drinking barely wines a bit warmer than fridge temps, I bet it was just too cold when you started

im pretty sure where the buffalo roam has been aged in bourbon barrels for a year so thats probably the alcohol taste you're getting

Noted
I did drink this straight out of the fridge. As it's been warming up I've noticed it tasting better, so that was probably it

I have no doubt that his absence is the only reason they've gotten so far this season.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. And yeah, I splurged a big, specifically for the Founders bombers. I got the Bourbon County at a steal though.

Yeah, the place has like 7 versions or something, each at that much or so. They've been there forever and haven't sold- seems like for good reason.

This shit is heavenly. Caramel, booze and dark fruits throw a flavor party in your mouth. Utterly unique and utterly delicious. One of the best beers I've had. Slightly buzzed after one at 11.6%. Not sure I'll buy again at $20 for a four pack, but I can't say I regret the purchase.

>Not sure I'll buy again at $20 for a four pack
thats pretty high, you should be able to find it at $12-15

>being a beer snob

what a faggot thing to be

got this one for the second time, heavenly
some gingerbread liquor notes, pretty unique
all the Lervig beers I tasted were great, but this one is outstanding

To the user who had the B-Bomb in the previous thread. Have you had this variant?

It's B-Bomb but with coffee and cinnamon added. stll has the warm mouthfeel of regular B-Bomb but the coffee and cinnamon gives it an extra Mexican Chocolate taste.

I really like it

Too young.

Honestly the best part of it is the honey flavors which have been very back seat in recent years. It is a throwback to older times when American double ipa's were hard to find (hard to imagine I know). Think of it this way: two hearted is rated the best American ipa (I strongly disagree but wtf ever), this is big two hearted.

The general rule of thumb is the bigger the longer. Don't listen to the fuck heads who say 5 years max, they don't know shit.

this was shit. hops do not belong in sour beers

the longer the more gambling you're taking, especially for lower abv stuff. and anything with adjuncts (the coffee in KBS) is sure to either fade or change into some different flavor.

things like bourbon county though are pretty much tried and true when it comes to aging and most people find they improve or at least favorably mature in the types of flavor you'll taste.

my gut tells me you should do the following with your pic beers: BCS 2-6 years, KBS fresh or 1 year, world wide stout 1-5 years, CBS fresh or 1 year, backwoods 1-2 years, the other base stouts I'm guessing fresh or no more than a year

i'm sorry you disliked it!

the only difference between modern porter and stouts is how the brewery wants to market it. don't trick yourselves.

In my experience, porters seem much thinner and on the brown side, while stouts are, well, stouter, and darker.

Going by recepie there is no difference between stout and porter

Trois Pistoles by Unibroue is such a good dark ale

I would post a pic but Veeky Forums is rejecting my uploads for some reason

Comfy as fuck right now regardless

oskar blues really is criminally underrated, one of my favorite craft breweries even though I usually drink lagers nowadays.

What are some imperial stout fermented in a Speyside whiskey barrel?
Loved the Imperann from Goutte d'Or.

why is this shit so popular?
it's alright but I really don't see why people cum themselves over another IPA.

I mean the brewery itself is close to atleast 7 other pubs with better options and in the same town as Latitude 42,which is an all around better brewery.

unless is celebration or small batch it's going to be mas produced.

do you honestly think ALL non-small batch beers are trash?

All sracecars siis sracecars llA

It got popular when there weren't many well made doubles and was built up as something great. It's a good double, but outdated now

I do, but i just follow recipes still. Going to make a NE IPA this weekend. Hope it turns out alright because it's a shit ton of hops to waste.

See
Your source probably hasn't had a 22 year old barley wine either.

>Devils cuvee was joe short tier tainted garbage.

wow dude cool you've been to a bottle share and drank a few aged beers and have reposted pics of it several times over on here. I'm really happy for you. what makes anything that I've said untrue?

I don't remember anyone bringing up barleywines (which do tend to age well) but by the way, Tom Hardy's Ale is not a barleywine.

stout is short for "stout porter" so that makes sense

yes it's very nice

YES
E
S

had this one with a friend yesterday, it really is something different

Good morning fellas I had the best beer of my life last night

Why is ratemybeer so snobby?

Sours are shit anyway.

wow, that is the most wrong I think I have ever seen a person be. In the civilized world we have breweries that are a hundreds or even thousand years old