Bread thread? Bread thread

Alright, I was waiting for one of the usually-ubiquitous bread threads to pop up before i asked you guys, but here's the deal:

I want to learn to make bread. I've tried a couple batches so far, I'm certainly aware that i screwed up this recent one to some extent. If any of you people know why my bread is like this, and how to get it more airy and fluffy, please let me know.

Recipe used:
300ml warm water
500g strong white flour
1tsp sugar
2tsp salt
1x 7g sachet of dried yeast

The biggest problem was I forgot to put the yeast in until after I'd kneaded it and left it for an hour. I did my best to mix in the yeast afterwards (a small amount of warm water with the yeast mixed in, left to activate for 5-10 mins), and I felt i was fairly successful.

My first batch was also quite doughy, even with the yeast added at the right time, so I'm not sure that's the problem. I cooked them for approx 20 minutes at 200 degrees C, in the tin shown in the image.

Pic related - two of the rolls I made, one pulled open and the other sliced.

Other urls found in this thread:

bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2902668/easy-white-bread-rolls
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Here's a shot of them before I opened them.

come back when you didn't fucked up so bad

I mean, they're edible, so I can't have fucked up *too* badly. The whole point here is that I learn how to not fuck it up so badly, though.

You're rude and it's a good thing your opinion doesn't matter because it's shit anyway.

OP, don't give up. No such thing as failure when it comes to cooking. If it's edible, it's passable. If tasty, it's a success. If inedible, a waste, sure, but also a learning stepping stone. So keep at it.

For what it's worth, I'd eat the hell out of that.

Doesnt look too bad. My guess is you undercooked it. After you added the yeast, how long did you wait for it too rise? Did you knead after allowing it to rise (dont)? How hot did you cook it, and for how long?

Gave it an hour after the yeast, kneaded it a bit to "knock it back" as the recipe said, then divided into rolls and left it for another hour.

I gave it, i think, 18 minutes in the oven at about 430 degrees. Should I have just divided and baked after the first rise?

>Love bread
>Got 288 mg/dL triglycerides in my blood
Ayy just kill me.

Yeah, you probably cooked it too short. I often cook my bread for 45 minutes. Some people take the temperature of the bread to determine when its done. As for rising 1 hour is a bit on the short side but fine. I typically let my bread rise for 4 hours before messing with it. I also avoid kneading it too much after I rise. I'd say try again with a longer rise and a much longer cook time.

also you probably used too much yeast. less yeast, longer rise is better than more yeast, less rise

Won't it burn if I leave it in that long? Do I drop the temp? The rolls are smaller than they look there. Fit in your hand pretty well.

I was basically following this recipe bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2902668/easy-white-bread-rolls

Oh, and if anyone else feels like rambling about bread, feel free.

Doughy rolls = undercooked. Try overcooking and maybe even burning your next round, then you'll know how long is too long. Dont drop the temperature. Dumb question, but you did preheat, right?

Sometimes the dumb question is the right one. Not this time, though! I did preheat. All the way through second proving, so a good hour.

Listen to the above anons, op
They speak the truth

I made this bread in my fireplace in a cast iron pan greased with bacon, placed in a roasting pan with cover. Probably the tastiest loaf I ever baked.

I don t measure any ingredients.

That is a very fluffy-looking loaf. I'm definitely taking all this info into consideration.

Bigas went absolutely wild today.

Agree with previous anons. Too short a bake time and too much yeast. I use more than that, bit not *that* much more than that for 200 lbs of dough. Really, for one to two loaf batches, you're often looking at 2g or below for yeast. It gets to the point where it's often easier to do the yeast by volume since scales that go several decimal places past a gram can br pricey.

Poolish is looking pretty delightful as well.

what does the tattoo on your hand say

I'm a yankee who moved to the south at 18 and picked up a banjo shortly thereafter. Banjos conveniently have 5 strings so my knuckles on each hand have my two favorite banjo tunings.

Hell yeah fuggin perfect crumb on yesterday's loaves.

Good god, that's nice.