Fried Rice Cookalong

So there's a lot of faggots who believe you need a wok in order to make restaurant quality fried rice. Let me show you why you're wrong.

Today I'll be making a Takana & Pork Belly Fried rice
SAUCES, OILS, SPICES:
>Sesame Oil
>Chili Oil
>Soy sauce
>Light soy sauce (I'll either use one or the other)
>Oyster Sauce
>2 different kinds of shichimi (I'll either use one or the other)
>Chicken Base (SECRET INGREDIENT)
>FUCKING SAKE!!!!!! HELL YEEEEEEAAAAA (For the deglaze)
VEGETABLES:
>Onion
>Takana (google it)
>Garlic
>Green Onion(edited)
THE REST:
>Day Old Rice
>Pork Belly (I wont use all of it)
>3 eggs
THIS IS MUCH MORE ADVANCED THAN IT NEEDS TO BE BUT I THINK IT WILL PRODUCE GODLIKE FLAVOR

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
twitter.com/AnonBabble

THE COOK ALONG BEGINS!
Cut the pork belly. Be sure you cut it somewhat thinly as you want to leave time for the fat to render more.
Too thicc and your pork belly will be very chewy and fatty.

i cut the onions around this size

Crumble up the day old rice you have. This is important so the rice can evenly absorb sauces, and it helps prevent large clumps of rice in the dish.
>use a spoon
>use your hands
either works

Now as any smart chef does, when he uses a new ingredient he tastes it.
I have never used this before.
These are pickled Mustard leaves.
THESE ARE QUITE SALTY.

So i've decided not to use Chicken base, and to opt for the lightest soy sauce i have.

Heat up a pan on high heat.
ADD THE SESAME OIL AFTER IT IS SMOKING HOT.

>On very high heat scramble your eggoons.
this will take less than a minute. they dont need to be browned much as they will be going back into the pan later

when you're done reserve the eggoons in a bowl for later.

>Clean the pan
>and add pork belly
WITHOUT OIL
Pork belly has enough fat so it shouldn't stick to the pan

Thank you for this OC cooking thread, OP. How important is it to use day old rice though? I usually don't have any leftover rice and have wanted to try this for awhile

Once the pork belly has browned a bit then add the onions.
i also added about a tsp of sesame oil in too

you can get away with fresh rice if it's japanese short grain. but with most rice it wont work well.
i still prefer day old rice

>everyone makes fun of his risotto
>gives up and makes risotto's complete 180

Not bad, Risotto Fag. Not bad.

NOW WE ADD THE SHICHIMI!
Our first ingredient which makes this fried rice distinctly Japanese. dont be afraid to be generous, it's not that spicy

what makes you think i'd ever give up on risottos, i've been making fried rice longer than i have been making risotto.
i'd consider it my second strongest dish, as i'm able to produce a rich and deep tasting fried rice.

I'm just getting prepped to make fried rice. Doubt I can make anything that looks as good as this.

So you use sesame oil? How does that work out? I just bought some and was thinking of using it, but I've also heard people recommend against using it in fried rice.

Now we add oyster sauce.

it turns out fucking great if you want a rich and fragrant fried rice with strong flavors.
the only people who recommend against it are probably wok memesters who can't use sesame oil without it smoking like a mother fucker.

This is what really separates my fried rice from other kinds, and what makes it godlike.
>the pork belly fat
>the shichimi
>The oyster sauce
they've helped to leave a delicious fond at the bottom of my pan.
Now this it's time for greatness.
DEGLAZE THE PAN WITH SAKE.

.....If you dont want to buy sake this also works great with Sapporo, I'd say I even prefer it over Sake, but Sake is what I had in the fridge.

Now I let the sake reduce a little bit, until around here..
THIS STEP IS CRUCIAL.
I dont let the sake deglaze completely, I add the rice in to absorb some of the flavor of the sake.
This is what makes my fried rice as good as the ones you find in the best restaurants

Now add in that rice and let it soak up the flavor of the pork, shichimi, oyster sauce, and sake

>tfw I'm cooking with a wok.

So, uh, do I still use it or not or...?

use it at the end of your cooking. start off with peanut oil or something

Now I add in some garlic chili oil, you may have noticed that i have garlic in the OP pic, but I didn't add it.
This is the reason why.

A spoonful of this oils up the rice nicely and gives it a nice spicy background flavor.

>This is what makes my fried rice as good as the ones you find in the best restaurants
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

Sesame oil is a crucial ingredient for flied lice imo. I always add a little bit near the end.

Now you might be wondering, where is the soy sauce,
Well it's here. I added very little because the oyster sauce, and the karashi takana was already pretty salty. I also added the lightest soy sauce I had.

Dont want to add too much anyway, dont wanna turn into a soy boy do i?

Pic related. Some specialty Usukuchi soy sauce

buddy i've been eating fried rice all my life. it was my favorite food as a kid, I'd have it every monday.
I've tried
>thai fried rice
>Vietnamese fried rice
>korean fried rice
>chinese fried rice
>Japanese
>PERUVIAN FRIED RICE!
>.....sadly i haven't tried indonesian fried rice
I'm not stupid I used to make mediocre fried rice, now the stuff i make will beat most restaurants you eat at.

Now we add back in the eggoons, and let them cook on med-high heat for a bit

NOW FOR THE FINAL STEP.
we add our very special ingredient. and this what makes this fried rice distinctly japanese other than the soy sauce or the shichimi.

This is pickled mustard leaves for anyone curious.
.....Also chop up some green onions and add them in, i forgot to take a picture.

It's done.
The flavors work brilliantly.
>You've got the fattiness of the pork belly
>combined with the vinegariness and mustard flavor of the takana
Just goes together so brilliantly.

Veeky Forums should know how well pork and mustard go together. Picture those flavors brought to a Japanese fried rice.

if you want to be an extra weeb like i did you can add some pickled ginger on the side

Looks pretty good schlip schlip

Shokugeki me you colossal faglord.
Your food is nothing special

How do I keep the rice from sticking to the pan?

Whenever I do this I end up with some nasty mix of gooey and burnt that never really separates properly.

i just use a nonstick pan.
show me what you can do.

what is your favorite anime?

I'm not going to tell u a favorite but i will tell you something i recently watched which i loved.
Hunter x Hunter

if i was in that show i'd clearly be a GOURMET HUNTER

>All that liquid
Jesus fuck how is that not soggy as shit also
>FUCKING SAKE!!!!!! HELL YEEEEEEAAAAA
Consider suicide.

its not soggy because i didn't use all of the liquid dipshit.
and incorporating sake into fried rice is brilliant.you cannot pretend that this isn't next level shit.

>Marukai San Diego
How does it compare to Nijiya? I drive by Marukai every day but keep forgetting it exists.

i think marukai is cheaper. but i go to both.
i usually go to marukai though because its next to mitsuya marketplace and there i can pick up these godlike sodas.

if you live in san diego go to mitsuya and pick these things up. they taste like actual fucking fruit except with crisp carbonation

>$2 for tiny soda made with HFCS

>Pork belly
Just say bacon

Cool, I'll try those sodas the next time I'm at Mitsuwa. Nijiya on Convoy generally seems cheaper to me, plus they make great anpan for $1.39 and either don't charge sales tax or include it in prices. Looks like Marukai's got a good sake sale going on so I'll have to check it out.

Damn that looks really good and pretty easy. Overall cost for making this? Seems pretty cheap but idk how much some of those asian things would be.

well you don't really need half the ingredients i used.
All of this should be under 20 bucks other than the very specific soy sauces, and special ingredients i used.

The pork belly did cost 10 though, but i bought a lot of it.

Just say bacon you pretentious wannabe

just let him have his japanese pretend time

Is this the new dinotendies thread?

you do realize what bacon is right? Bacon is cured pork belly.
This is uncured. So to call it bacon would be untrue. infact if you look at the finished product it doesn't resemble normal bacon or even rashers.

there's nothing weebish about using the term pork belly

あなたの泣きを止めて

speak english, just because i like to cook Japanese things doesn't mean i'm weeb enough to consider learning Japanese

What you're cooking is as asian as you are

i'm half black and half white.

That explains why you're retarded and overcook everything at least

I haven't overcooked a single thing.
please go away and/or kill yourself. Notice how you're the only one in the thread who thinks that.
it's because you're an absolute idiot.

>muh rice muffugga
>its supposed to be overcooked
>but muh rice

i dont know how fried rice isn't supposed to be slightly overcooked when it's fully cooked rice which is being fried in a pan and absorbing sauces.
again as long as it isn't mushy i dont see the problem with it.

>again as long as it isn't mushy i dont see the problem with it.
Because you're a trash level cook

This guy seems a little mad

>trash level cook
says the faggot who has shown zero display of skill.
Again those who criticize what i do usually are beneath me. That's what i've found 9 times out of 10.
And that's exactly what i expect from you.

>rice autist pretending to be someone else

>says the faggot who has shown zero display of skill.
We have a lot in common

you haven't posted a single example of anything you've cooked. and it's because you cant cook.
you hate people who are better than you and you have to lash out anonymously at them.

At least i deliver and post and share my methods.
Why dont you outperform me then, why dont you actually prove yourself to be better than i am, rather than simple call me a trash cook.

It's because you don't have the willpower to do that. You're a loser and a defeatist who can't go against the negativity like i can.

I dont want anything of mine being associated with you. You have a habit of following people around and attacking them like the retard you are.

you should tagg us both in the same post, because that isn't me.

wow you're actually this afraid of me. wow. i've never seen a bigger pussy on the internet.
What you think i'm going to track you down irl and insult your food retard?

hahahahahahahahahhahaha. The funny thing is people have the habit of following me around and attacking me. that's exactly what you're doing dipshit, you're from the /r9k/ thread aren't you, now you're here following me and attacking me.
What a sad fuck you are. KYS
>mfw right now

Is there something wrong with you? Are you okay?

Probably time to stop feeding the troll dude

He might not be able to cook, but at least he was gracious enough to use a tripcode so we can filter him.

I'd rather haters not see my food than see it. I dont enjoy the unnecessary and senseless negativity towards my hobby.

You bring the negativity by attacking people for giving you critique and sucking your own dick over mediocre food.

>d-d-don't be mean to m-me!
You should go back to whatever subreddit you crawled out of. That way you can downvote criticism instead of actually learning from it.

>What you're cooking is as asian as you are

One could also say that your civilization is as white as you are, which means that the imitation of Western civilization among east Asians is a colossal lie

I make fried rice a lot, and I can vouch. Day old is a little drier, which is nice because then you don't risk the chance of mushy rice.
You can bypass that a little by putting your rice in the freezer for a bit.

well if people gave reasonable critique i'd take them more seriously.
Saying food in a brown sauce looks like doo doo isn't a real critique. and thats the level of 99% of the criticism i've heard on here.

again his overcooked fried rice criticism is also bullshit.
How the fuck am i supposed to keep the same texture of perfectly cooked fried rice when it's a day old and i'm stir frying it?

Again these criticisms are retarded.

>How the fuck am i supposed to keep the same texture of perfectly cooked fried rice when it's a day old and i'm stir frying it?
Cook it perfectly for making fried rice.

Put your trip back on. You've being very inconsiderate to the people who filtered you, and reneging on your statement that you don't want "haters" reading your posts.
It's ridiculously obvious that you're trying to get attention, and it's honestly really sad.

SO UNDERCOOK RICE, in order to cook it for fried rice?
You do understand most people use leftover rice they eat with other meals, they dont purposely undercook rice in order to cook fried rice.

I used leftover rice that i served with beans to make this fried rice. and i typically only make fried rice when i have leftover rice from an earlier meal. This is how most people are and most asian restaurants are.

>Throw together slop out of leftovers
>Act like its gods gift to man

>put your trip back on
buddy im posting in serveral threads about different things. I'm taking my trip off for attention, but a risotto fag trip doesn't belong in a thread that isn't related to food

>a risotto fag trip doesn't belong in a thread that isn't related to food
It doesnt belong in one either

fried rice is one of the greatest recipes for leftover food there is.
It's gods gift to the poor man.

Try portioning your food correctly instead.

>he keeps changing his criticisms because he has no real argument
we got some high-quality fags in here

Good thread, OP. Thanks for posting
[spoiler]inb4 samefag[/spoiler]

Well i wouldnt be surprised if he called his discord group to come to his defense.

it was a reasonable portion when i plated it.
thank you very much.

kek

>I'm not stupid I used to make mediocre fried rice, now the stuff i make will beat most restaurants you eat at.
>I'm not stupid
>the stuff i make will beat most restaurants you eat at.
>I'm not stupid
Yes, you are.

see i'd be willing to bet my left nut the fried rice i'd made you would be in your top 3 favorite fried rices you've tried.
this isn't overconfidence. i just have tried really good fried rices before and i still prefer stuff i make at home.

i'm able to achieve this richness of flavor this depth that you'd usually only find in stews. i dont know why my fried rice is so fucking rich and savory but it is.

>This cockiness over babbies first rice

>this isn't overconfidence
So what would you call it? You added fried egg to stale rice, quite literally baby's first rice recipe, and think you're a culinary genius.
You're a child and you're setting yourself up for failure.

I remember when I was in school and I thought I was hot shit because I was making food better than anything I'd had before.
My mom just wasnt the best cook, it turns out. He's probably cocky because he's outcooking his mom.

>babies first fried rice
i dont know many fried rice recipes savy enough to deglaze a fond to flavor their fried rice.
i'm cocky because the food is tasting better than 4.5 star restaurants you find on yelp.
if it didn't taste like the real deal i wouldn't be happy about it.

So much unwarranted pride
You're such a mediocre cook but you act like you're worth a damn.
Genuinely try to improve. Humbleness is a virtue in cooking.

I was going to read this thread but then I realised it was posted by risottofag.

>i'm cocky because the food is tasting better than 4.5 star restaurants you find on yelp.
Proof of this claim?

hey when i am at a top chefs skill level i hop you enjoy my cockiness a bit more then buddy.
i made this thread because somebody on my discord group requested i show them how to make fried rice.
it doesn't matter if you don't see it.