Is keto a meme? I feel like I'm getting pranked...

Is keto a meme? I feel like I'm getting pranked, like one of those "The new iPhone can be recharged in the microwave!" images. I keep eating whole eggs and fatty steaks and bun-less burgers, but it's always in the back of my mind that I'm being trolled into heart disease.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

>Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated.

i do keto, but i'm wary of saturated of fats.

most of my calories come from fat, but of it is from olive oil. the rest of my diet is lean protein and non-starchy vegetables.

but what if "healthy" fats are a meme too? still gonna get heart disease.

Keto is generally a meme because it's hard to sustain without a lot of self-discipline.
You're better off to just aim for 25+ grams of usable protein in every meal (to increase satiety) and eliminating unnecessary carbs wherever possible. When you do that, with a little mindfulness, you'll start naturally losing weight without drinking a gallon of water a day to stave off gallstones and having breath that stinks like rotting meat.

keto isn't a meme if you follow a healthy balanced diet, and end your ketosis with a proper re-feeding phase

the thing that makes keto a meme is hardly anyone following these diets have any self control, so keto makes it real easy to not eat half the food you want and lose weight quickly

except for the part where if you eat more than two pieces of pasta after entering ketosis you'll gain 5 pounds that aren't waterweight overnight

if you're doing keto for weightloss/bodybuilding, there are legitimate benefits (and several medical reasons for going on a ketogenic diet like gluten intolerant disorders etc) but going on keto to be healthier is retarded. broad restrictions (barring sugar and things that are objectively bad for you) in a diet are not the foundations to a healthy diet

>it's always in the back of my mind that I'm being trolled into heart disease.
I'm confused. You are smart enough to realize this, but not smart enough to do something about it.
You want to lose weight, why go on a fad diet like some female? There isn't any trick to it, eat a healthy balanced diet and expend more calories than you consume.

Keto has more benefits to it than just weight loss

>drinking a gallon of water a day to stave off gallstones

Kidney stones, not gall stones.

Keto is not a meme. You'll lose weight and lose it fast. I lose 20 lbs since new years. Read Lyle MacDonald's book.

You need to stop your metabolism rate from dropping into starvation mode, so not only should you eat keto, but during the daytime you should be taking caffeine, aspirin, and bronkaid (thermogenics) to keep your RMR higher.

And as some other guys here said, the second you stop doing it, you WILL gain weight back.

Don't eat a plate of spaghetti except maybe on a very very rare occasion.

>but going on keto to be healthier is retarded
Yeah obviously it helps people lose weight, but one thing that made me question the diet is that milk is supposed to be mostly off limits. Since some people can digest lactose into adulthood, a diet saying that it's not good to do so makes me wonder. And I know that some people say we didn't eat so many carbs pre-agriculture, but I don't think our diets were so high in fat either.

Yeah. It's amazing how drunk you can get on just a little vodka while in keto. Saves so much money.

>And I know that some people say we didn't eat so many carbs pre-agriculture, but I don't think our diets were so high in fat either.

If you lived in the north during pre-agriculture you needed to eat high fat to survive. There was no fruit and vegetables, so you basically ate a shit ton of fish, meat, nuts, eggs, and cheese

Pre-agriculture people would've moved around more during the season changes, and there is still a spring and summer in Northern Europe when more plants would grow which could be collected and dried to have during winter.

We evolved to eat animal fat. It's common sense that it would be good for us. Saturated fat has absolutely nothing to do with heart disease. That's just a lie spread by quack doctors.

Lactose is a sugar, dude. It's not off-limits, but you must consume milk sparingly in order to not consume too many carbohydrates. Cream has a much lower amount of lactose. In aged cheeses, the lactose has been converted to lactic acid via fermentation, thus also has very little carbohydrates. Has nothing to do with lactose intolerance.

Milk is literally for babies.

Quack doctors funded by agricultural lobbyists seeking to maintain their huge grain crop subsidies paid for by we the public. It sounds made up, doesn't it? Pretty funny shit. This isa big factor in why we're collectively so fat though.

If you're not eating thrice heated potatoes you're ketoing wrong each time you heat it up the starch becomes more resistant you get more full but your body isn't left with a bunch of shit it doesn't want

>unnecessary carbs
you psycho. glucose is the body's preferred energy source. Fat is the problem. why do people run circles around fat? because they're hooked on it. They can't give it up. They can't give up the cheese and fried garbage they shovel in their mouths every day.

keto probably gives you cancer. something about forcing your body to run on ketogenesis doesnt seem right, like it exists for a good reason to keep you alive when your really in the shit but at the cost of long term survival. what wiuld
the opposite of keto be, like lots of fruits and sugar and adequate protein ? I think that'd be worthy of looking into

This.

Also, having a highly grain-based system is pretty much necessary to maintain a population at this level, considering that it's impossible to make enough meat to feed 7 billion people

>keto probably gives you cancer
Incorrect. Research the diets of Native Alaskan tribes sometime.
>what would the opposite of keto be
Type 2 diabetes.

>something about forcing your body to run on ketogenesis doesnt seem right

It's called being born and raised in a culture that tells you from the time you learn to walk that you're supposed to have a huge bowl of cereal in the morning for breakfast.

I love this shit. I've been in dietary ketosis for over three years now. I'm still waiting for my cancer, kidney stones, heart disease or whatever. Almost 40 now, and I haven't stopped getting more healthy-looking with healthy stats across the board while everyone else my age keeps aging horribly. Holy shit.

>forcing your body to run on ketogenesis doesn’t seem right

Spoken like a true sugar addict. Carry on with your diabetes and obesity then.

Ok, well account for fucking corn syrup? Enriched, bleached wheat flour? Hydrogenated vegetable oils? This is farming done wrong. This is a dark mirror world of a healthy agricultural civilization.

>It's not off-limits, but you must consume milk sparingly in order to not consume too many carbohydrates.
That's why I said mostly off limits. From what I've read, they recommend only a cup or less per day, but I can drink a quart and feel perfectly fine. And if I drink that cup of milk, I have to eat even less vegetables.

>a culture that tells you from the time you learn to walk that you're supposed to have a huge bowl of cereal in the morning for breakfast.
Or bacon, eggs, and cheese

Someone being wary of keto doesn't mean they're obese and diabetic, or even that they're unhealthy. Lots of people eat more carbs with a balanced diet than keto dieters and are perfectly healthy.

So what's your issue? You have to make intelligent food choices. You don't have to listen to dietary cult leaders to make decisions that work for you. I don't. Do your own homework.

>starvation mode bullshit
>the second you stop doing it, you WILL gain weight back
Keto's good, but you need to lay off the memes.

>So what's your issue?
That it severely limits a food that some people literally evolved to be able to consume larger amounts of.

>be 500 pounds
>go on keto for 2 years
>now 160 pounds
>decide to reward myself by having a nice big plate of spaghetti and some tiramisu at the local Italian restaurant
>go to sleep
>wake up
>immediately gained all the weight back
Fuck I gotta do it all over again, this shit sucks.

The only diet I've ever had that worked is the keto diet. I stayed in the "medium to high" range on my keto test strips and lost 30 pounds in 12 weeks, despite exercising and watching my calories the 2 year prior and staying 230lb.

I honestly recommend the keto diet if you dont have some kind of previous medical diagnoses, assuming you get check ups.

There is a right way and a wrong way to do keto. Obviously eating low quality tier meat and gmo corn is a far cry from what the diet is intended to focus on
Also, don't be a sedentary faggot. Run a minimum 10 miles a week and get a basic weight lifting regimen down.

those things are designed to ensure the population doesn't live long past 70 if they are lucky. And it saves them paying our retirements.
fucked system

I still don't get it. Ketosis is a normal metabolic pathway. Eating too many carbohydrates prevents ketosis. Lactose is a carbohydrate. I am genetically capable of digesting lactose. I prefer not to consume a lot of it in order to be in dietary ketosis. I do not have an issue with the way my biology works or my own choices.

It is normal in a sense, but humans aren't all the same. We have different DNA. It's more viable for some ancestries than others.

Jesus, stop eating 500 pounds of spaghetti fatso.

Dietary ketosis or digesting lactose as an adult?

its just atkins 2.0

>That it severely limits a food that some people literally evolved to be able to consume larger amounts of.

You mean like wheat and sugar?

Yeah sure us nordics can metabolize lactose into adulthood because we evolved into it, that doesn't mean it's now a critically necessary part of our diet. All of humanity has evolved into eating rice, you should also cut that out if you're doing keto.

Anyone got some keto recipes? Im pretty hungry and wanna try this shit. Havent eaten much carbs for the last few days but Im lacking good ideas on what to cook besides cheesy omelette with tomatoes and spring onions...

>To determine the effects of a 24-week ketogenic diet (consisting of 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g/kg body weight protein, 20% saturated fat, and 80% polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fat) in obese patients.

NOTE how they define a keto diet. Basically, they take a normal meal, and remove the carbs.

This is not how the usual memster retard on the Internet defines keto. Eating meat until you satiate yourself is something entirely different from what they tested here.

For a super obese person, say 250kg (551 lbs), that is still just 250g of protein, which is definitely not enough to satiate yourself on.

Won't you get cancer super fast from eating all that meat?

>I should listen to a NYR
no

No. Not how cancer works at all.

I thought it dealt with proteins in your body fucking up, oh well; if you have the time, could you tell me how it works? If not, then what'd you have for dinner yesterday?

someone link me keto diet im 320lbs don’t want to be fat anymore

How much do you shit on keto without fibrrs? It would be very painful for me since I have ibs, I think

>carry on with your diabetes and obesity then.

Spoken like a true grease and fat addict.

fuck you you're not my real dad

Speaking of cancer, most of the antioxidant-rich foods are not keto. Things like berries, citrus fruits, bananas, apples. 250g of broccoli is half of your carb goal.

Nope. Can’t stand grease or fat you sugar-loving obese fuck.

>And as some other guys here said, the second you stop doing it, you WILL gain weight back.

So yes, it is a meme. Why don't you clueless fat cunts just learn to eat balanced meals? Then you don't have to worry about sticking to some meme fad diet forever for fear of ballooning up like the fat cunt you are

or you could eat a balanced diet, exercise well, make sure you get proper nutrition and not end up looking like a skinny-jeans wearing soyboy.

Keto is good. Been at it for years. Never been fat, I look half my age, I have the blood pressure of a child athlete.

People will do anything to not have to set foot in the gym. Fucking pathetic.

Anyone that has to follow any "diet" is a retard that should be culled. If as an adult you can't figure out what is a healthy diet and weight for yourself you were not meant to survive. You're the human detritus that evolution intended to discard from the gene pool

literally anything you eat is a part of a diet, so you should be culled.

ACTUAL nutritionist here.
There is absolutely NO reason that anyone should do Keto. Keto, typically, encourages the consumption of the following toxic foods

1. Broccoli
Broccoli is the main keto vegetable yet it is HORRIBLE for human health. The Broccoli lobby spent millions in the 90s funding anti-deforestation campaigns because they wanted to create a positive feeling for trees, because Broccoli looks like trees - follow the money. It contains a compound known as 'Canopigen' which is what causes the tops of the florets to become fluffy. This compound is a known carcinogen. It has been indicated in several cases of breast cancer.

2. Chickean
Chickean is the least healthy meat you can consume. It is generally true that any Avian meat is unhealthy for humans. This is because birds evolved from dinosaurs. Dinosaurs often lived alongside volcanoes, and ate plants containing high quantities of sulfur. Sulfur doesn't break down, so as the dinosaurs evolved the compounds passed from one generation to the next. Most chickeans have toxic amounts of Sulfur within them.

3. Cream and Dairy
Cream and Dairy are feminising foods. There is a reason that the countries which consume the least dairy - China and Japan - also have the highest rates of adult male virginity. It is because the men do not consume dairy and therefore, are not as likely to be seduced by female pleasures such as dinner dates, and are less likely to meat women. Dairy contains estrogen which is all you need to know.

4. Onions
Onions are acidic and cause cavities.

As a nutritionist, I believe the following 8 foods can sustain a human forever

Liver
Red Cabbage
Beef Steak
Tuna
Salmon
Swordfish
Sweat Potato
Mustard Seed

I have only eaten these foods for 10 years and am in amazing health.

The body only needs a tiny amount of glucose and it can easily synthesize that much.

If the body doesn't like consuming fat as food, then why does it store energy as fat? Fat is in fact the preferred energy source. If you run out of food, your body will sustain itself on your bodyfat until it runs out.

don't be a baka, keto or no you shouldn't be eating grains except maybe oats

>someone google keto for me and link me the results.
You're unsalvageable, just shoot for 500.

look on the back of any food item. Note the serving size and carbs. If a food has carbs in it, dont eat it. If you're weak, dont go over 120grams of carbs a day but more ideally, shoot for 20-50 carbs a day. But really you want to be at 0 carbs. No sugar whatsoever, no candy, no grains, no pastas. Buy a shitton of lettuce, mayonnaise and fatty meats

Most importantly, have self control

you need at least 800 calories a day to brain good

I was telling that dumb fucker to shoot for 500 pounds because his request was that stupid but he probably won't see see it, you can calm your facts there professor.

I am a ketofag. Besides that the antioxidants thing might be bullshit, I regularly eat blueberries and raspberries (they are low-carb), lemons and limes, green tea, dark chocolate, spinach, pumpkin seeds, avocados and olive oil. It's really hard for even a superstitious micronutrient nerd to pick apart a well thought out ketogenic diet.

You're made up of cells. Hundreds of generations ago, ancestors those cells would float around all alone, slurp up nutrients around them, and reproduce.

It turned out that long-term, clumping together into increasingly complex cell collectives has great results for everyone involved, but when you're sticking together, not everyone can afford to cell-spread all over the place or the whole thing falls apart. So most cells that build your body got a series of genetic killswitches that try to prevent them from bloatmaxxing.

Cancer is what happens when these cells go all primal again due to those killswitches fucking up. But it's on the genetic level; eating proteins has fuck-all to do with that unless you like seasoning your meat with uranium.

Wouldnt a keto diet be an askimo diet? All the eat are seals and whales and shit.

>We evolved to eat animal fat.
Now THAT is a meme. Try eating nothing but meat and fat without any fruits or vegetables and see how long you live. We are omnivores, we eat virtually anything that is available except for other animals' shit (like carnivores sometimes do).

By 'unnecessary carbs' I meant no sodas, reduce/eliminate sugar in coffee, no sweet baked goods.If you must eat bread or pasta go for thingsl like spelt sourdough, pumpernickel, or those new pastas that are coming out made with chickpeas and lentils. I never said 'eliminate carbs'.

If you want to shed fat fast, keto is the way to go. If you want to change your diet for sustainable weight loss, make a change to moderation in your everyday diet.

lil nigga on the right straight up drinking blood outta a teacup, respect.

does anyone else really not mind counting calories?

everyone acts like its a miserable way to live but it's the one scientifically proven way to lose weight and keep it off. I've been counting calories for 2 years now and it's just another part of my life like doing dishes or walking the dog. Don't see what the big deal is.

Fat people are lazy, counting calories takes a mild amount of time and energy. I count all my calories and I cheat by leaving myself a few hundred calories below incase I go out for a beer or something after work if I don't do it I eat something to match my daily intake. My wife's female friends will complain for me about how hard it is. I truly do not understand being that lazy but the majority of people are that lazy.

I sorta used to count calories when I was fat. I stopped counting at 24 BMI. A couple years have passed since then and am now at 22 BMI. After a while on a ketogenic diet I started to be able to tell when I was actually hungry as opposed to hormone-hungry. It's kinda cool. It kinda is miserable trying to restrict calories on carbs though.

I count calories when I'm eating, but then I drink 2000 calories worth of alcohol.

I keep posting this new publication but cardiofags ignore it

>Tl;dr dietary fat/saturated fat was not found to increase deaths in heart disease

Are the research nerds still getting occupationally lynched for saying heart disease is caused by sugar?

I get weird looks when I bring that up lol.

Holy shit can we stop with the “fat makes you fat” meme? Sugar makes you fucking fat. It’s highly addictive and has much greater caloric density than fat.

All diet's are memes

Why are unprocessed grains like oat groats and brown rice so bad?

They undergo minimal processing having only the inedible outer layer removed.

Is having to be cooked for so long to be edible an indication that it is not optimal foe humans?

>losing twenty pounds in three weeks

Idiots really think losing weight works like this?

Fat has 9 calories per gram. Carbohydrates and protein have 4 calories per gram. Sugar doesn't necessarily make you fat, but it can very easily if you eat it in excess of your caloric needs because the insulin secreted to metabolize it turns excess calories to body fat. The rub is, that, yes, sugar is very addictive to most people and large amounts of insulin make you hungry. To prevent large insulin dumps, you should eat more complex carbohydrates and less simple sugars. The glycemic load may be the same overall, but they are broken down more slowly over time which prevents insulin overload (and eventual resistance).

They're not bad. They're just uncommonly eaten now. People treat highly processed grains that have an adverse effect on insulin responses as normal. That old argument about how humans have been eating cereal crops since the dawn of civilization is ridiculous because we are not eating the whole grains our ancestors ate. In fact they are so hard to even find in many places that it is easier to just not eat any staple carbohydrates since you technically do not need them. I think this is why ketogenic diets are becoming popular with people without preexisting medical conditions. Same can be said for many other diets. It's a symptom of a broken agricultural system.

>except for other animals' shit

there are people who eat who animals raw/live so humans eat shit too