Getting food after expiration date

Alright, maybe a little bit of a hobo question here for some,
but do any of you know how you can buy/get still good food short after the expiration date or one day old bread (in central-europe at best)?

THOUSANDS of tons of food get thrown away each day in each country (austria for example 2-3000 tons/day) and since my heart bleeds when knowing that and since I don't have a lot of money anyway and want to afford a property I would like to help reduce that number.

Any ideas?

Sure I'll indulge you a little. Pizza is the number one food you will find in tact, and whole. Primarily gas stations, and little caesar's. Specifically the second throws away whole pizzas all the time.

I used to dumpster dive in my first year of college. My best finds were baked goods, at coffee shops and Panera sorts of places, I don't know if there's a European equivalent. Big thing is just acknowledging that the stuff you find will be okay the first couple days but should really be thrown out after that, and make sure you're storing everything properly

Thank you, didnt know that, but it is more about how to actually get to those places where food got thrown away or how to convince people to give you food before they throw it away (illegal to sell in many countries, so you have to talk to the people who work there).

Packed goods like old yoghurt, bread or sausages you can often only get this way, just have no idea how.

little caesar's doesn't exist in europe ameritard

Where did you do that? In front of supermarkets or in general household trash cans?

go dumpster diving dude
just wear gloves and cleant he food once u get home
i once found a 24 pack of 7 up (cans)

food bank or dumpster diving
depending on the country tho you could ask the store for shit they throw away

its either donated used for pig/animal feed or thrown away

Interesting about that is that bakeries in europe send that to a mill that makes animal feed for it, baked bread is EXACTLY the same price per kilogram as common crop

Before you hit the bins, approach local mom and pop shops -- bakeries and restaurants specifically. Talk to them about buying their mark-outs/leftovers/scraps etc at the end of the day or first thing in the morning. Offer a set price and see what they are willing to part with. They will usually agree to a very low price and throw in a ton of extras they would have otherwise thrown out anyway.

Another angle is offering to collect "expired" produce for local soup kitchens from various eateries in exchange for keeping two portions of whatever they give you for yourself.

People respond to kindness, OP. Try to get the food before it hits the bins and if you can do a good deed in the process then... win-win.

Good luck.

This probably sounds like one of the best ideas. Maybe throw in some self-made stuff as return and you are good to go.

For example, if you collect old fruits, you can make a juice out of it and if you give them that back it could have a lot of impact

if you do go dumpster diving make sure to post it on a thread on Veeky Forums plz

this image hurts my heart

do chinese people really do this?

We do it too. Everone does it, sadly.

But I think france made it illegal recently or something

who /shoplift and dumpsterdive/ here?

Of course

No body officer

So what is the next part of your plan?

First, I am happy about all the responses. Actually expected at least 2 people calling me names until now.

And I will most likely do this first, ask around etc. I think I can talk well so maybe I won't even get a lot of strange looks.

Then if there is something I can't get, maybe look around where markets and shops throw away their food. Will have to look into the consequences of that though first.

not me officer I obey the law

why is ck so full of no-good communists and anarchists?

mean

spam crust cutters videos until you convince the world to eat garbage

I thought Panera donated the baked goods they didn't sell? Wouldn't surprise me if that was bullshit though.

Just check out some of the older local supermarkets, they usualls don't lock their trash to sell it to biogas companies. You can always learn to pick locks to get to the good stuff. Saturdays, Mondays and Wednesdays are the best days here in Germany. I recently looted a whole backpack full of tasty yogurt. Don't forget to leave everything clean so they don't suspect everything. Thats how I lowered my monthly food costs to like 30 bucks. You have to use most of the fruits and veggies relatively quick. Be prepared to find a shitload of bananas, which is very good if you're into banana bread. Feel your environment out and just go for it. Best times to loot are approximately 1-2 hours after they close their place.

The correct answer is crashing this plane with no survivors

You can go to like any restaurant and ask if they'd let you eat other people's leftovers.

If you are still in here, do you happen to know how/where our markets lock their trash? Just a general idea

I can only speak for the situation in Germany. They usually keep their dumpsters at the place where they receive their deliveries. Most new markets lock everything down, sometimes behind a fence(which you can jump). But most of the older places don't do that. Just check the situation out, it's a different story for every shop. Always keep your eyes open when you happen to go shopping. Good luck with saving some food, it really tastes twice as good.

suicide

And they either lock their dumpsters directly, which is more likely when the market happens to be in the middle of a town, or they have a little caged area for the dumpsters. Bit they don't even bother to lock it down sometimes.

Fucking brilliant.

Yeah, I live in the rural area in austria, so that should actually work quite well. Thanks

Yeah, rural areas are usually very promising if you have some choices. Have fun and gudn!

Could I go to Publix or a Kroger at night on the day they have to sell their sushi by and just get some of it free?

bump

I would say, just try it

apologize

kek

Consider the following hypothetical situation:
>own your own small grocery store
>have to throw away certain food items because at worst, they have potential for causing harm through food poisoning, and at best, they're not a good product that represents the quality of your goods
>you decide to allow people to take the things you're going to throw away anyway
>open yourself to lawsuits because someone got poisoned from the food you gave them
>word gets out that you give away free food, so your store is frequented by undesirables, driving away the actual paying customers

That's why he should pay for them. Even if they charge him a penny, all of the things you said are rendered irrelevant.

>Even if they charge him a penny, all of the things you said are rendered irrelevant.
No, they aren't. What makes you think that?

You can go through a legal process to give away food that is close to expiring with the intent of not wasting it and be immune to lawsuits if someone gets sick. You just have to make sure its labeled and distributed as such.

This is about stuff AFTER expiration date desu

He is right that in many countries that stuff can cause problems

I am sure there is a loophole, maybe labeling it as "trash", but idk.

Who the fuck would buy/take "trash" and eat it?

Because anyone with a bit of research knows that expiration dates are just when the food is freshest. Eating a banana the night they take it off the shelf (when it has one brown spot) isn't going to kill you. Drinking milk a day after the expiration date isn't going to harm you.

>close to expiring
Not the subject of discussion here. Many grocery stores offer discounts on food close to expiration.

It's not communist or anarchist to want to retain the foods of someone who wants to relinquish it. Once you've thrown your goods into the trash, unless otherwise stated or implied and no longer on your property, it is considered forfeit.

At least some Anons ask. Shoplifters should be castrated though tbhfamsenpai.

Yes, but muh law. We all know that, but if someone gets poisoned by something you sold as food that was faulty before for some reason you are fucked