Alternatives to bacon thread

Alternatives to bacon thread.

When something like "bacon and eggs" is so well-established in a culture, it tends to get overpriced relative to its quality. Also something that salty is really not good if you think about your blood pressure (which anyone over 30 should).

So give me some alternatives to bacon to go with eggs in the morning.

yet more eggs

turkey bacon and eggs

buy a big slab of pork belly and cure it

Some cheap steak

Ham
Chorizo
Smoked salmon

um, eggs and bacon are dirt cheap, your hypothesis is not supported by the data

Sodium is only a problem if you already have high blood pressure, it does not cause high blood pressure problems

We flips like to pan fry these and eat them just like bacon n eggs
Very tasty.

chinese bacon or just be canadian eat a slice of ham.

Nice

Ham, obviously.

Cheap bacon is cheap. Good bacon is not.

About a third of U.S. adults have hypertension.

That is not a known certainty. What we do know is that anything in excess is problematic in some way.

Refried beans and some cheese. Make some breakfast tacos. They're quick and easy. Add chorizo if you want to get some meat in there.

None of these suggestions fulfill OP's requirements lol, especially not other processed meats like chorizo sausage. Even is still going to have the salt issue if you're concerned about that, and will likely put you off the concept of breakfast entirely

We do consume too much sodium, but over half the US population is clinically dehydrated.

You can't afford bacon, and you're worried about unhealthiness?
Consider either less bacon, or suicide.

However, sausages > bacon.

Pork belly is delicious.

If OP wants/need low sodium diet, than homemade ham is great (ham homemaker) (and you can make it from lean meat too, because of cholesterol). Also You can buy raw bacon without salt and unsmoked, but it is still fatty.

>good bacon not cheap
It is when you buy a whole 14lb belly from the asian market for $2.99/lb (high quslity imported from poland, not the gmo fed hormone antibiotic US garbage) and rub it with a salt, brown sugar, pepper and cure#1 pink salt, let it sit in the fridge for 2 weeks and cold smoke it for 12 hours.

>no one mentioned jowl

the fuck is this board get out

That's all the HFCS-laden fizzy crap you drink.

A low sodium diet is now being blamed for an increase in hypertension deaths...

(German family here, eat bacon every day, ave the fat to cook with later, everyone in the family lives an active life well into 90’s, no heart problems or cancer...).

I'd wager a good deal of money that only @ 5% of the US population has ever seen a jowl being sold as meat. I've only ever seen it at a few serious asian markets catering almost exclusively to asians. You'll never see it at any supermarkets or butchers (unless almost exclusively ethnic). It's far too icky poo poo for amerilard sensibilities so we generally grind it into hotdogs along with pig anuses.

they sell it everywhere in the midwest where im from, it literally tastes like fattier bacon and costs nearly nothing

Not going to argue there. I rarely drink soda unless it's a mixer and I try to aim for at least 3/4 gallon water a day. My kidneys are gorgeous from what I've been told.

Sadly this is true in boomer areas. A lot of them are picky bible-thumping idiots that would throw away half the animal if they knew what was in their hot dog. I regret moving; and I really miss my duck heads.

>low sodium
boomer detected

Pork jowls. It's basically uncured bacon with less fat that costs 1/3 as much.

>they sell it everywhere in the midwest
Dude, I grew up and graduated uni in the midwest although I don't live there now, thank the gods, and you're fos.

dubs are not lying. Pork jowls are the smartest purchase. You can even smoke them at home for bonus points.

Hot and spicy Spam.