What is the final verdict on Psychoanalysis?

What is the final verdict on Psychoanalysis?

Can't live with it, can't live without it

pseudo-babble about as relevant to intellectualism as horoscopes and crystal healing

Important and inevitable development of human thought to encompass the processes leading to variances in personality, which has continued in interesting and useful directions ever since.

As philosophy and social theory: read Marcuse's _Eros and Civilization_

As therapy and descriptive psychology: read Ricoeur's _Freud and Philosophy_ and also a history of how literally cult-like and deranged psychoanalysts can be, particularly Lacanians

As clinical psychology (i.e., "so is the Oedipus complex real, or what?"): no. Superseded by barely any more effective modern analytic psychology, which is almost as much of a creepy cult as psychoanalysis ever was.

As depth psychology: Some very good underlying insights about the workings of consciousness, e.g., the drive (Trieb, also in Nietzsche).

The most stupendous intellectual trick of the 20th century.

Are you implying people don't ACTUALLY have elements of their psyche that manage behaviour outside of their awareness?

Shouldn't you fantasizing about your mom right now?

I can multitask. Also, not an argument. You're not one of those people who radically misunderstand Oedipus theory and also misconstrue it to be Freud's main contribution, are you?

Jewish pseudoscience.

>dude you enjoy teaching your children to chase and be chased because you have unconscious sexual desires for them

Jewish nonsense.

the surface is good with some nice insights, the depths of it are useless shit, and people who go there never come back

Dunning-Kruger effect is really strong here

Freud was on some good shit

His ideas have been entirely and utterly dismantled throughout the last 60 years..
his primary objective, admittedly, was to undermine western society. He's a dumb jew.

>I think psychoanalysis is stupid and pointless but I bet I know more about it than anyone...
Freud's ideas have formed the foundation of every major subdiscipline in psychological research and practice. You really proved that poster you responded to correct.

>His ideas have been entirely and utterly dismantled throughout the last 60 years

Only if you listen to the retarded and equally Jewish hucksters in psychology

No one is denying that he isn't a major historical figure. The question was what is the final verdict on him. The answer is that most of his theories were impressively unfalsifiable Jewish quackery. His technique, with adjustments, can serve uses in some places, but the large majority of his stuff is garbage.

He is still interesting to read and is recommended for anyone interested in psychoanalysis and who wants to read his contemporaries. Reading Freud is kind of like starting with the Greeks, but with psychology.

Yes, and just in the same way, in that the Greeks are not a collection of thoughts about a topic, they are a force that has shaped the process of thought itself. Freud is the same. It's not that we have rejected his ideas, its that he literally revolutionised the way we understand ourselves. It's not just that he got the ball rolling for psychology, he and a few others MADE the ball and we are still rolling it.

What's the difference between Psychoanalysis and Psychologie?

psychoanalysis is about sitting and talking, psychologie is about the mind

lol

Psychoanalysis is unscientific, but it may have limited descriptive validity for certain places, times, and people, if you ignore all of its predictive and allegedly clinical components.