How come a Swiss company is the one making the best Chinese cleaver on market right now?

How come a Swiss company is the one making the best Chinese cleaver on market right now?

Other urls found in this thread:

victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Cutlery/Chefs-Knives/Chinese-Chefs-Knife/p/5.4063.18
williamsfoodequipment.com/victorinox-8-blade-chinese-cleaver-walnut-handle-cleaver-with-walnut-handle-40090?___SID=U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because Chinese steel is shit and they excel at producing cheep shit with it, and that result in shit quality.

Marketing, why else?
Do you really think that we in the USA couldn't outdo the swiss? It's not in our interest to do so.

>I bet I would be the best if I actually wanted to
>yfw your country's trajectory mirrors your own life

>Chinese manufactured goods are shit

Someone call the news.

Are Chinese cleavers fun to use? I know they are thin so you can't chop thorough bones like with western meat cleavers.

America has shit steel too

They're fun as fuck. You just blow through prep. So much so as a home cook if you get really good you can do some of the prep while cooking, even with stuff that goes quickly. I'm totally dependent on mine.

It feels weird to see a Victorinox knife with moonrunes on it.

bump

You're partially correct. Companies like Cold Steel could probably produce a half decent line of kitchen knives if they wanted to. And there are a bunch of American craftsmen producing extremely high quality stuff, but obviously not at industrial scale.

Buh But..
muh cutco...

False. American metallurgy has produced the best steels, they're just expensive.

Victorinox uses a chinese developed steel and has majority of their production in china.

>False. American metallurgy has produced the best steels,
No, stop believing you are number one, you just suck and your steel has shit carbon content because you are too cheep to get decent ovens.

I'm a knife snob and you're retarded.
Not many foreign steels can come close to things like s110v or maxamet.

Looks like a slop of shit

A proper chinese cleaver will be thin as fuck so more liable to chip than what you're used to
Also somewhat heavier, so more fatiguing to use
Also the good ones are non stainless carbon steel, so will need more care
On the flipside
Being thin as fuck means they cut like magic
Being weighty means they fall through product
and being non stainless means sharpening is a breeze and often means a sharper edge is achievable
This is true, but a properly heat treated AS blade is the most useful in 99% of kitchen knives

>Victorinox uses a chinese developed steel and has majority of their production in china.

Victorinox kitchen knives are made in Switzerland and Portugal with Swiss steel. Core line of chef knives, slicer, etc. are made in Switzerland while secondary knives like Chinese cleavers are made in Portugal.

Stop spreading disgusting lies.

They were 15 years ago.
If you check their info, it's all clouded to hide that it's chinese made shit now. Wusthof does the same shit but they dont try to hide the chinese steel, and put the handles on in Germany so they can say it was made there.

If you're accustomed to a traditional chef's knife a Chinese cleaver will piss you off. Its big, blocky, dumb shape means precision goes out the window, and it means you can't rock the blade like you can with a chef's knife since the edge usually sits parallel to the board.

When you press down with a Chinese cleaver on a veg, it's always cut through completely. With a western chef knife, you have to rock or push-pull to cut through completely on a large piece of veg.

>Victorinox
>best on the market

Pick one.

>precision goes out the window
Until you learn how to use it. As a Chinese cleaver user I find chef's knives piss me off. Mine just sit in the drawer while the cleaver does all the work.

Sounds like a dull-ass western knife to me. There's little to no reason why a chinese cleaver is magically more efficient other than blade angle and hardness.

>no reason why a chinese cleaver is magically more efficient
One stroke vs two strokes due to blade geometry.

This. Once you git gud at using the chinese cleaver, you'll basically never want to use a western-style knife again. Unless I specifically need the point for piercing something, I basically never bother with my regular knives anymore

Don't deal with a lot of late squash due you? I love my chinese cleaver but turban squash will chip an edge quickly.

Crunching through any firm vegetable, or bones as French and other styles of cooking demand, will destroy a brittle blade.

>chip an edge
They're cheap. My fave is a totally chipped stainless that has been sharpened with a grinder so many times over the last 20 years that it's practically destroyed. I could replace it for $25, but will probably have another go at sharpening it in the next month or so just because.

There is a learning curve at first but no real loss of precision once you learn how to use a Chinese cleaver.

You should be using a knife smaller than a chef knife (utility, petty, etc.) for precise decorative works anyways.

That thong has got to be made in China too. It seems to be totally unavailable anywhere in Europe. I can neither find in any online shops including amazon or ebay nor can I find it on the Victorinox page.

>Wusthof does the same shit
Maybe for the cheapest product lines like the SilverPoint series, but certainly not for more expensive lines. They have got super high tech automated factories in Solingen.

>That thong
Of course I meant *that thing*

But that's wrong.

What the fuck are you on about, lad?

victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Cutlery/Chefs-Knives/Chinese-Chefs-Knife/p/5.4063.18

Didnt you notice that this is a totally different knife? I was looking for the knife in OPs picture, with the wooden handle.

williamsfoodequipment.com/victorinox-8-blade-chinese-cleaver-walnut-handle-cleaver-with-walnut-handle-40090?___SID=U

This store is a legit Victorinox dealer.

Well, thanks I guess, but I am not going to order a knife made in a country I share borders with from a shop in Canada.

I think Victorinox is still tweaking the design, and small batches are trickling out with minor cosmetic changes (moonrune, no moonrune, rubber handle, wood handle, etc.) with each iteration.

Well, it is a Chinese cleaver.

i have two jobs, in the mornings i cook a wok at an asain fusion place (chinese food and sushi) and at night i cook at a french bistro, i use a chinese chefs exclusively at the asian joint, western chefs knife exclusively at the frenchies. if youre good with both its just a matter of preference; i can clean meats, chiff, chop, dice, and mince veggies proficiently with both but the chinese is definitely funner.

its biggest utility is that its shape essentially makes it a bench scraper. you cut a big pile of veggie and you dont even have to put the knife down to scoop it up and put it wherever its going and that saves time. its also funner to carry around menacingly, and the weight just feels so nice. definitely takes some work out of prep when your knife is so sharp you barely put any effort into the cut and the weight is whats driving it through your product

>i use a chinese chefs exclusively at the asian joint, western chefs knife exclusively at the frenchies
Just out of general contrariness?

ooops, forget that post, I thought it was the other way round. Shoulda learned to read.

> you need to run a company in a large country to produce outstanding quality
> you can copy decades of experience and skill on a whim

Swiss watchmakers would like a word with you