Obligatory whiskey thread, all are welcome

Obligatory whiskey thread, all are welcome.

Been new into scotch, and I've noticed there's a very particular flavour that I get in Famous Grouse, and Johnny Walker Red, and present but not so severe in McClallen Speyside, and hardly present at all in Glenfiddich 12.
It's not a taste I've experienced outside of scotch, so what is it?

I have some very nice scotch that I'm not unable to drink after getting a little too drunk and throwing up, now i find it impossible to drink any of my whiskey, but i cant for the life of my justify buying more whiskey until my last lot has gone

so im forced to drink gin atm

FG and GF12 are horrible, I'd literally rather drink coke.

Wow, neat opinion.

Whiskey is shit, vodka is the superior spirit

Tried japanese Whiskey for the first time, now its the only whiskey im ever drinking.

why are you fags too good for the /alck/ general

Because not all of us have crippling levels of addiction.

I recently went hunting in my granddads reserves and found a half-drunk bottle of Talisker distillers edition. This particular one is pretty old. Distilled 1987, bottled 2000. I think I'm still too much of a newfag to appreciate it.

Sure thing, Ivan

I'm ploying through bottles... I need to start getting into cocktails or whatever

The difference between us and al/ck/ is the difference between a gourmet and a gourmand.

Whiskey only ages in the barrel, not the bottle, user. It's a 13 year old bottle, and it's taying that way.

Except for how the air that got in the bottle after it was opened affects it, but Idunno much about that.

>actual discussion centered on the spirits preferred by the people on the thread
vs
>self deprecating cringeworthy stories of autistic and barely functional people about their crippling alcohol abuse
you do the math, user

From the barrel is really great stuff!
I really enjoy sherry or port finishes

I'm from Florida

I live in Scotland and I've never heard of that.

I have never actually seen anyone buy a bottle of, or order a drink in a pub of, Johnnie Walker either. No-one in Scotland drinks the stuff.

living in scotland doesn't necessarily mean that you know alot about whisky

True.

But it's better than living in England, which would guarantee you know fuck all.

>One wind blasted, rain soaked islander with poor dental hygiene and barbaric dark skinned neighbors disparaging another wind blaster, rain soaked islander with poor dental hygiene and barbaric dark skinned neighbors from the same wind blasted, rain soaked island

You're a cheeky cunt m8 but I'm english and I've heard of glenfarclas

glenfarclas is classic stuff my dude

was going to post this, but you did it in a much more artistic way

what do you expect, the scots are saltier than the sea that surrounds us

true, your blend-drinking alchies prefer whyte and mackay instead, which isn't much better

it may be peat that you are detecting. i've never had grouse or johnnie walker, so i wouldn't know, but glenfidditch 12 certainly has none detectable. mcclallen isn't a distillery, you're thinking of either mcclelland's or macallan, but given that it specified speyside it's probably light on peat as well

Johnny red is one of the worst whiskeys. I dont like scotch in general much, prefer bourbon(four roses) and irish(jameson and haig)

>DUDE METHANOL LMAO

Because I've never been too drunk to walk straight

Not OP but is peat what gives it the smoky flavor?
Are there scotches that don't taste like that? I've always assumed that was the distinctive scotch flavor

How do I get into good whiskey? I drink cheap beers, 40s and whiskey that costs under $15, and I don't want to do that anymore. What's a good starting point?

Depends on what kind of whisky you want to drink? Have you been buying cheap bourbon, rye?

Cheap bourbon

If I would like my mouth to taste like wood I would rather lick bark than drink that

Yes, specifically they roast the barley malt over peat fires which infuses the grain with the peat smoke. If you want scotch that doesn't taste like that, generally avoid islay and island regional scotch. Sherried whisky is has a sweeter, more dried fruit-like flavour. Try glenfiddich, balvenie or glengoyne.

Try a nicer class of bourbon in that case, as a starter. Buffalo Trace and Four Roses are highly regarded. Gentlemen Jack (Mid range Jack Daniels) and Bulleit are pretty good too.

After that try some Rye whisky and see if you enjoy it, and branch out from there. Jack Daniels 100% rye is supposed to be pretty good. If you can get ahold of them Crown Royal Northern Harvest, and Canadian Club Chairman's Select are really good Canadian ryes, and not too expensive.

I've had bulleit before and it was much better than the shit I usually buy

Crown Royal, regular purple box. Should be $25-40 and it'll treat you right.

listen to this user buy buffalo trace, its very drinkable and around $25

Fun fact, Buffalo Trace makes Costco's store label bourbon.
It's bretty gud

A bit less than once a week I pour myself a finger of whisky (rye, because bourbon and scotch have heavy import tax) to try to acclimate myself to the taste but I'm not quite there yet. I'm at the point where I can sip away at it without burning my mouth but the taste itself is still like motor oil. I can sort of pick out the grain flavour, like a beer without hops.

Small batch four roses, brotato. Great sniff, low n slow burn. One of my all time faves.

Try corn-heavy whisky, senpai. More corn mean sweeter juice. Because of this, bourbon is regarded as the candy of whisky (has to be 51% corn as a rule) regular bulleit bourbon is sweet af, start there.

The grain has nothing to do with the sweetness, because it's just the ingredient that the actual spirit is distilled from. No actual corn sugar remains in the mix. The sweetness in bourbon comes from the barrel wood being broken down into esters, which is characteristic of bourbon because they use fresh unused barrels for it. Scotch tends to lack that sweetness because it uses barrels that have previously held other spirits, so the majority of the wood sugars have been leached out already.