Okay, which is superior? Long Black or Americano?

Be as nit picky as you like. Also coffee thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

zojirushi.com/app/product/ecbd
fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardemumma
fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulla
fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kampanisu
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Half n half, hold the sugar

If same price then long black is better value for money and, in my opinion, tastes signifantly better than the Americano.

>double shot
vs
>watered down single shot

> Putting cream in your coffee

Use milk like a normal person

eurofag here, whats the difference?

Wouldn't you have to ask the barista if they do double shots in their long blacks? It could vary from cafe to cafe.

Long black = Hot water in cup first, then espresso shot on top, looks like pic on left due to the crema being retained
Americano = Espresso shot first in the cup, then hot water poured on top, looking like pic on right, with maybe a few bubbles from the broken crema.

then long black sounds more appealing i guess

When I make a long black at home fine grinds find their way through the portafilter, so I tend to make Americano's instead.

This.

But I'd rather have a Cortado. And it chaps my ass that my favorite coffee beverage since forever is being highjacked by hipster shits who don't make it properly. And that's my coffee bitch of the day.
Pic related, but just random from google.

How would making an Americano change that? You're still using an espresso shot for both. Unless you're confusing Americano with American drip coffee.

Sorry, but you're wrong. A long black is just another name for a double shot of espresso. Another name for an espresso is a short black.
While an Americana is a watered down single shot of espresso, or watered down short black. Same thing.

Beverages are different to food because their recipe is consistent in terms of construction. If you ordered a gin and tonic in any bar you would expect the same recipe of a shot of gin with tonic water. The only variation would be the brand/quality of the gin and/or taonic water.

Same with espresso based beverages.

Definitely depends where you are from. Where I live the vast majority of cafes serve double shot as a standard. A long black at one of these places is a double shot over hot water, an americano is 2 shots over a larger amount of water. It may be different where you are, but that's how it is here.

>A long black is just another name for a double shot of espresso
No, that's a doppio. A long black has hot water plus 1-2 shots depending on where you are as says.

I guess so, should we phase out americanos and only make them via the long black method? Or is there a reason we should still do shot first, water second?

>inb4 coz MURICA

>watering down a shot of espresso
just drink normal drip/press/filter coffee instead fucking retards

Well, fuck. I've been doing it wrong my whole life then. I just checked google and you're right. So, yeah. Unless things have changed very recently then I've been wrong all my life.

I've always thought:
>short black = single espresso
>long black = double espresso
Well there you go.

>adding watery cream
>not just adding cream

also
>purchasing milk ever

shiggy

Enjoy that extra fat. :P

>milk is watery cream
fucking retard, cream is milkfat

Guys, is there any difference between this and your standard Breville-tier coffee drip filter machine? With the one difference is that the machine in the pic is a hipster meme?

>Be as nit picky as you like. Also coffee thread.

They're both inferior in caffeine content to pure filter coffee, so pure filter coffee.

>Americano
*inhale*

around there "long" means "pass twice the water in the same shot for more coffee" and "double" is "two shots in a bigger cup"

It's just a drip machine.
Get one of these if you want a good drip machine, the stainless carafe is going to be better for keeping the coffee tasting good than anything that machine claims to do. Also, my in-laws have been using a similar coffee maker from Zojirushi for 12 years or something like that, so it sounds durable.
zojirushi.com/app/product/ecbd

>tfw you only order coffee flavored dairy drinks from coffee shops because you can make superior bean water at home

why the fuck would you pay for a cup of muddy water is beyond me, at least buy something you dont want to make at home

Why not just drink normal coffee, with milk if you must, and avoid sugar?
Plain coffee is amazing with a piece of cake. I love it.

The left one looks like a you-know-what

Americano is the worst style of coffee hands down. Watered down expresso shot for the little girls that can't handle a rich body drink.

I don't know what does it look like

"A hipster meme" What the everflying fuck are you talking about. Moccamaster is the go to machine of the moustasched near pension blue collar worker who smokes two packs a day.

Have seriously almost not even seen a rundown business which was last renovated in 1989 that does not use a moccamaster. The reason is that it makes good coffee fast and it does not break.

Worked mostly with sheet metal and air ducts, but it also applies to car mechanic places etc. etc.

The norm will be about at 5-6 cups of 250-300cc a day. (7,5hours anything above will be overtime with +50% pay)

Welcome to finland/norway/sweden, worked in all of these now.

If moccamaster is a meme then I am neurosurgergy expert. Its the solid go to machine for making coffee to the simple working man, has been for ever.

Only espresso is coffee with an exception of cappuccino doe breckfest

Five to six cups(250cc to 300cc) per person per day that is. LOL its the best way to deal with your hangover. Used to room share with a alcoholic 62 year old. He first made 3 cups before work and drank about a cup per every 2 hours at work.

Best for hungover days at work like I'm going to have tomorrow too.

MOCCAMASTER FOR LYFE, americano is for pussies, no milk in coffee. Get a grip.

In a place like Kirkenes the coffee is the only thing keeping you awake. Get on our level.

Coffee is not high dining or something that you get in a cafe. Its bought in bulk and consumed in liters per day. Everything else is just cheating.

Some flavors can only be tasted after they bind with fat, so yes, I will enjoy it thanks. Also, fat isn't as unhealthy as sugar, which plenty of people put in their coffee and I don't see you bitching about them.

Get the fuck out. Fucking hippie nigger city dwelling shits. Coffee is drunk black and black only. What the fuck now .

WHAT THE FUCK, dont say caffe latte or cappuchino or whatever now. READY TO EXPLODE. COFFEE should TASTE like COFFEE not like cream or milk. FUCKERS

I put coconut oil in my otherwise black coffee, desu

Ok oil and cardamon can be sometimes used. Like if you are feeling really dry in the throath or something. When its minus -30 celsius or whatever.

Black or green cardamom? Whole pod, split, or ground seeds?

fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardemumma

Ground up seeds. The ones one uses also for the common coffee bread PULLA.

fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulla

What's a good grinder, do I really need to get a ceramic burr?

Good cakes for coffee then post something that is a part of your culture.

Sweet, nice, really heavy to eat this is really common in some god forgotten hole where my family partially comes from:

fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kampanisu

Usually made of butter, wheat flour and buttermilk. Modern recipe will have sugar and sourcream instead sometimes.

I hope you realize the "real men only take their coffee black" meme is a hipster one
Any form of "there's only ONE way to drink coffee" is cancer

Yeah ok its really related to first your cultural background and secondly your socio economical position. Like I'm and an uneducated person working blue collar in scandinavia. Ofcourse I'll say with pride that the way I do things is the best, having no understanding for anything more.

Isn't this how mememing works. ??

What if you prefer plain, black coffee over adding all the extras WITHOUT spouting out all this bullshit about how it's the superior way of drinking my hot bean water. In fact, the only time that I ever think about it is when I'm drinking coffee with a friend and they bring up how I didn't add anything to it.

In scandinavia no one would even notice that you put nothing in it. Its a 50ยด50 norm. Like its really normal in some environments like the working class only a small minority drink coffee not black.

Its all cultural.

Looks like what?

This, only time you would ever put in sugar/sweetener is if the coffee is too bitter. Sometimes it's because the coffee is crap, (Vanilla Latte from Starbucks) or if it's designed to be drunk sweet (Vietnamese coffee).

I'm confused
people intentionally water down their coffee?

Some people like the intensity of espresso, others like a long black-like intensity.

looks like voldemort

man, I just mix up hot water and coffee grounds and drink the resulting strained liquid

A slop of shit

Well I think the filter needs to be replaced but an Americano disperses those grinds better when you dump the water on it.
>ask for Macchiato
>receive what's 90% of a Cortado
Tell them to stop ruining Macchiato's while you're at it please.

How does a macchiato add any flavour or texture to the espresso. Literally less than a drop of milk foam and they call it a new drink. May as well not even be there cause you can't even taste the difference between a macchiato and an espresso shot.

Agreed, I would prefer a pourover or cold brew than espresso most of the time. But I dont live in a hipster foodie suburb like Surry Hills in Sydney, so most of the cafes around me only have espresso based coffee. So if I had to choose betwen the two I'd pick long black

no foam = coffe flavoured energy drink

old geezers always ask me for a cortado "tocado" (just a dash of some liquor) and some combos are great

well, it's pretty worse to drink masked coffee just because you don't like coffee
it's like... you perceive people who take coffee black as having some sort of masculinity you don't have? Maybe penis envy?
Not coffee drinkers fault, tho. Just, you know, your mental problems.

When you dont have access to the right equipment/beans.

The cafe may have a single origin beans that you don't have at home, or you don't have a device like a v60.

>backing down from your preference in pursuit of validation
That's what makes you a sissy bitch, fyi. Frappe me up, cucky

You're probably right, I guess I'd better start ordering Vanilla Soy half shot lattes with extra milk foam and chocolate syrup with 3 sugars. That's the only manly way to drink coffee.

what is long black?

that's how i drink me coffee as well

>What is a Long Black?
See And use google.