>have sharpest knife ever made

find a flaw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7dFFEBnY0Bo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>find a flaw
knife will be dull again by the time you finish chopping an onion

It doesn't work that way.

Your edge will always be shit if you use on of those things. Besides, the problem with most cheap knives is not that you cant get them sharp, but that they are too thick behind the shoulder of the bevel. No matter how much you sharpen them, they will always cut like shit because they wedge in the produce and will steer when trying to cut off thin slices from something. Top tier kitchen knives made in Solingen, Germany used too be "nagelgängig" as a sign of quality. That means if you pressed the edge of the blade against the top of the nail of your thumb at a very low angle and then drew it across the nail you could see the steel at the edge of the blade getting slightly bent from the pressure.

That's the tthing all the retards advertising their $10 knives dont get. To be fair, a lot of much more expensive knives are way too thick behind the edge too. People are too retarded to treat and use fine tools correctly nowadays and manufacturers have to protect themselves. I have two Tojiro DPs that I had thinned by a master bladesmith, they are both "nagelgängig" now and cut like a dream. They literally fall through onions, it's almost a little disturbbing to use those knives when you are used to a little bit of resistance.

Your agility isn't high enough to wield an infinity sharp knife. It sits there on your counter useless until the chosen one comes

"it doesn't work and cuts like shit"

youtu.be/7dFFEBnY0Bo

Explain this then.

What exactly am I supposed to explain? He didnt use a knife sharpener like in OPs pic. He expertly sharpened a $3 knife on what was probably $300+ worth of whet stones and strops at a super low angle and then demonstrated how well it cut paper and tomatoes. Neither of those things would give you any wedging effect and you will notice that he doesnt touch the cutting board once with the edge. Because it would instantly roll over if he did.

He's using Japanese water stones to sharpen his knife. You can put on an edge so much finer with those stones than you can with those pull-through sharpeners.

Even with those stones, the edge will become dull within a few use when many $200+ high-end knives will keep the sharp edge for months before they need to be sharpened again.

>muh japanese 1000 folded rocks

fucking weeb

$200 Wusthof Ikon will keep edge for a long long time. Your piece of shit dollar store knife will have its edge fold over if you try to slice anything harder than a lettuce if you ever dare sharpening the edge at 15 degrees.

braindead retard

Have fun resharpening it every time you cut a tomato. I haven't sharpened my Wusthof in months and it still cuts like a charm.

oh fuck off with your "japanese water stones"

get a double sided whetstone at home depot for 3 bucks and pour as much water on it as you fucking please, it's quite literally the same goddamn thing.

Those are Chinese imitations of Japanese water stones. The one in your pic wears off way too fast but doesn't cut as fast as it should considering how fast it wears off. I'd recommend a Bearmoo one that has 1000 grit paired with a higher grit (cuts very fast with lower than average wear).

Since this is a knife thread now what should I look for in one before I buy it?

Make sure it doesnt feel too tailheavy when you hold it in a proper pinchgrip, also make sure it has a profile (the curve of the edge when looked at sideways) that lets you rock chop. Many shit knives have a bolster that sticks out over the edge, or have overground concave parts in the edge (mostly near the heel/bolster) where the edge cant touch the cutting board and consequently cant cut anything with that part.. Its a huge pain in the ass to work with such a knife. Basically you should be able to "rock" with the edge of the knife on a cutting board without hearing any noise.

Yeah I've got a ton of stones, and used a ton that I don't own, the cheapest in my collection is a huge ass stone I paid $8 for (probably the equivalent of the normal size $3 stone user recommended), the most expensive was $75 for a single grit, average is around $40-45

Above $25 you're mostly paying for subjective stuff like "feedback" and "mud quality", below $25 or so quality drops off a fucking cliff, even a cheap stone is kindasorta workable but I'd way rather have good stones and shitty knives than the other way around. Frankly if it was between my $8 garbage stone and a pull-through, I'm not even sure I'd bother with the garbage stone. Luckily I don't have to choose, I just choose my good stones.

This price stuff is generalizing, of course. If you know your stones you'll know that rougher stones are less expensive for a given quality, and finishing stones can get stupidly expensive.

tl;dr don't listen to the poorfags

Also make sure the knife is decently thin behind the edge. Most people have never held a really well made and ground knife and have no base for comparison how such a knife can go through the hardest produce, but a wide bevel (the millimeterwide part that touches the whet stonne when sharpenning) is generally a warning sign. Also avoid knives like the Cutcos that have a kind of wide, hollow ground relief bevel behind the actual bevel, it is a sign of the very cheapest manufacturing process.

>two grits
>back side is probably at most 4k
>comparing that to a 12k water stone

I get that you don't do anything that actually requires sharp tools, but it's not even close to the same thing. And I know that the edge will be shit for slicing, I do woodworking which is, in it's entirety, pushcutting.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a hollow grind, traditional Japanese knives (yanagiba, etc) have a hollow back, as do many high quality hunting knives. The reason cutco is bad is because they use 420 stainless and charge as though they're using R2

>I do woodworking
AWOOGA, AWOOGA, AWOOGA it's luthier guy, everybody abandon thread.

No way the back of that thing is 4k. Probably closer to 1200 at most.