Worst Closing Lines

>Yossarian jumped. Nately's whore was hiding just outside the door. The knife came down, missing him by Catch-22 inches, and he sped off.
What WAS Heller thinking?

>Maybe the real Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man was the friends we made along the way

And you people talk about Joyce as if he's the king of literature or something

"...and it truly was Mein Kampf."

Fucking really, Hitler?

>inches
Americans

>"...and it truly was Mein Kampf."
What mine doesn't end like that

“Oedipa settle back, to await the crying of lot 49.”

fucking seriously?

So disappointed in that book overall

stopped reading there, what absolute drivel

Has it occurred to you that these tropes were not yet cliché, and were actually once able to evoke sentimentality and wistfulness, rather than cringe?

Welcome to the water.

>and, after it all, I realized that I finally knew the meaning of both War and Peace
Honestly Veeky Forums memed me

the shit about walking around admiring buildings still made me laugh out loud when i read it

>BIFF to Linda, as he takes her in his arms and lifts her away from the grave: Pop died the death of a salesman. Come on, pal, let's head back home.

>Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
>I took the one less traveled by,
>And that has made all the difference.

Yuck.

road less travelled is satire tho

Unironically The Makioka Sisters by Tanizaki Junichiro:

>Yukiko's diarrhea persisted through the twenty-sixth, and was a problem on the train to Tokyo.

Imagine reading 500 pages meticulously rendering the cultural milieu of pre-war Japan, and this is what you end on. It's probably one of my favorite endings I've ever read, though. It actually makes sense in context.

Damn, that's... that's an ending.

>For never was a story of more woe / Than this of Romeo and Juliet
William Hackspear, more like.

>So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past, until we have ourselves become The Great Gatsby

>And finally back home with his wife, he could say it was truly quite an Odyssey
How did this translation get published?

>MRS. ALVING. Ghosts! When I heard Regina and Oswald in there, it was as though Ghosts rose up before me. But I almost think, truly, that we are all of us Ghosts, Pastor Manders.

— Ghosts

>SOLNESS. [Laughs.] No, no—of course not! Heaven forbid! Only think—to be Solness, The Master Builder!

-- The Master Builder

>DR. STOCKMAN. ...Let the whole country perish, let all these people be exterminated!
>VOICES FROM THE CROWD. That is talking like An Enemy of the People!

— An Enemy of the People

>NORA. And you’ve always been so kind to me. But our house has never been anything but a play-room. I have been your doll wife, just as at home I was Daddy’s doll child. And the children in turn have been my dolls, in A Doll's House.

— A Doll’s House

>GREGERS. Isn’t it a duck ?
>EKDAL.[Hurt.] Why, of coarse it's a duck.
>HlALMAR. But what kind of duck, do you think ?
>HEDVIG. It's not just a common duck
>EKDAL. Sh!
>GREGERS. And it's not a Muscovy duck either.
>EKDAL. No, Mr. — Werle ; ifs not a Muscovy duck; for it's The Wild Duck !

--The Wild Duck

>PROFESSOR RUBEK. Oh, Irene--that might have been our life.--And that we have forfeited--we two.
>IRENE. We see the irretrievable only when--[Breaks off.]
>PROFESSOR RUBEK.[Looks inquiringly at her.] When---?
>IRENE. When We Dead Awaken.

—When We Dead Awaken

>Bernick: And we--we have a long earnest day of work ahead of us; I most of all. But let it come; only keep close round me you true, loyal women. I have learned this too, in these last few days; it is you women that are The Pillars of Society.

— The Pillars of Society

>It is a hot summer’s day. PEER GYNT, a sturdy youth of twenty, comes down the path…

--Peer Gynt

>LOVBORG. [Repeats softly.] Hedda Gabler!

--Hedda Gabler

Ibsen was the ultimate hack

i hate reading this book. what the fuck is supposed to be so great about it? sure ive had some chuckles along the way but cmon

>...and that's when she turned and said, "tractatus logico philosophicus."

i can see where the analytic backlash came from

>No question now what has happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was impossible to say which was which.

d e e p

>and God said "truly this is the bible"

fuck christians desu

my same reaction

>"Who are you people?!"
>"We're the Brothers Karamazov!"

Does anyone else love title drops while reading?

It was good until they started calling themselves "The Travelling Karamazovs" and doing circus acts. I mean, what the fuck?