Knife enthusiasts

>Masamoto KS was long an unobtanium for weeb knife enthusiasts
>threads after threads dedicated to singing its praises and people asking if they can buy a second-hand one off of another user
>it suddenly comes back on stock
>every knife forum filled with Masamoto KS hate threads

Why are all enthusiasts like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

zwillingonline.com/34373203.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I would never bring a $300+ knife to work.

this isn't really normal behavior
I suspect all those masamoto ks threads are started by marketers trying to steer users to buy THEIR products instead.
You don't see this kind of behavior in other enthusiast circles except in reddit-core shit like mechanical keyboards and high end audio.

Not that guy, but I've brought a 150 dollar knife that I put a lot of work patina'ing to work.

People knew better than to screw with things without asking though, and knew what they were doing.

Fuck off weeb, just buy kiwi knives and throw them away once they become blunt

I highly doubt small-scale handmade Japanese knife manufacturers are hiring marketers to shill on English-language knife forums.

cherry profile keycap manufacturers that have extremely small and expensive production runs (think: 500 orders a year) from china have the patience to viral market on subreddits and enthusiast forums, I don't see why japanese knife companies wouldn't do the same thing

the market for headphone amps and japanese electrostatic headphones is the same way
now that i think about it, double-edge razor forums exhibit the same pattern of behavior

>enthusiasts
You know what a hype train is, right? People singing praises about things others can not get. Those who get it brag about having it and increase the hype because they likely paid way more than was reasonable for that thing. Now others can get that thing for a somewhat reasonable price again. Guess where the salt is coming from.

I've ordered a cheapo carbon steel cleaver and am planning on bluing it. Anybody have any experience? I'm debating between vinegar and star-san.

People usually use mustard to force a patina. Vinegar might be too harsh.

From what I read you go with mustard if you want to make splotchy patterns on the knife, but I'm more aiming for an even coat of a single color. People use lemon juice or coca-cola, and I guess diluted vinegar works too.

It depends on the knife and the vinegar or mustard. Different steels react differently to different mustard and vinegar. I typically use a mix of dry mustard and a white vinegar because I want an even coat and the mustard acts as a relatively good binder. I've never tried getting into the artsy patinas.

Good to know, thanks. Thoughts on iron oxide vs phosphate patina? I heard phosphate is stronger but creates a dull gray coat.

except KS has been out of stock everywhere for years, dumbass. you think it's really hard to make a pile of gyutos to meet insatiable demand? this was just your regular run of the mill knife aspergers driven by the same people who said VG-10 was some kind of super tech from area 51 back in the early 2000s and then turned on it and declared it the worst thing in the universe even worse than generic chinese 420 stainless
you are way overthinking this

I bought a set of miracle blade III knives over 8 years ago and I still use them, never sharpened them, still work great

I guess it doesn't matter if all the ingredients get crushed while barely cutting for making the pig slop you have for meal every night.

Slightly unrelated to the thread, but what is considered a "good knife"? I have some that I bought at target years ago and I'm tired of how fast they lose a fucking edge. Looking to upgrade, but can get away with using just an 8" chef's knife for what I do.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on what you want, really. $40 Victorinox Fibrox is considered a really good knife although kinda ugly. $70 Tojiro DP is good if you like French chef knife profile (less belly) better. Pretty any knife sold by JapaneseChefsKnife.com is very good, even the $65 Fujiwara FKM.

If you want to spend some money and prefer French profile, $150 Mac MTH-80 is probably the best knife you can try in a brick-and-mortar store before purchasing.

It's almost impossible to find a brick and mortar store that carries MAC knives; something about their distribution costs.

There will be at least one restaurant supply store carrying Mac in mid-sized to large cities. Other Jap knives, you'd be lucky to find one store in NYC, LA, or Houston carrying it (e.g. Nenox).

I like a balanced knife that may be a little heavier, something with some belly and an attractive handle/blade.

I had a Vic chef's roll I won in a raffle that I gave to someone as a gift, really regret it since I probably would have used the shit out of it, but oh well. I looked at the Miyabi SG2 with the birchwood handle and liked it, but have never actually used one or seen it in person. I'm not a professional chef or anything, but I like to prepare my food well so I'd appreciate a fine instrument with which to do so. I occasionally butcher my own meat, but not frequently enough to invest heavily in something specifically for that at this point.

zwillingonline.com/34373203.html

Miyabi SG2 is an excellent knife but probably an overkill unless you're doing precision knifework.