How precise is your knife work?

How precise is your knife work?

I will fuckin stab you

I'd like to say above average, I've never slice myself open or chopped shit too horribly.

Good enough, considering I don't use a cutting board. I just hold my food over the pot or pan and cut away.

I take a long time but have literally never cut myself

I only use IKEA knives in i promise you my cooking is years ahead of yours

I can do very fine denubbing of plamo.

Some say I chop onions like the kill bill samurai girl.

"I've never cut myself while cooking" is like "I've never made a mistake speaking a foreign language"

All it means is you're slow, you don't cook much, and you're much shittier at knife work than you pretend

Cut the fuck out of myself on the regular, but can slice and dice very fine, regular and pretty fast.
If you really want to test someones skill get them to peel a pile homegrown potatoes with a sharp paring knife. My mum used to make us do it. I swear the crazy bint just liked watching us bleed.

If you cut yourself cooking at home you're fucking stupid. There's no reason to slice a carrot to 2mm slices at mach 5. What are your fat faggot fingers even doing going below the blade. I bet you cut towards yourself too.

t.cooklet with the no-cut gloves

O shit

It'd be great if not for my dull knives.

I have fineness and accuracy down, but what I still lack is speed. I never cut myself though.

If i used chainmail gloves i wouldn't be able to hold onto the food very well and i would probably cut my wrist or some dumb shit. I just don't miss

my broadsword work is better

Cutting yourself is a clear indication you are too overzealous when cutting and don't know what you are doing.

And it's a sign you shouldn't be anywhere near a kitchen because you are a walking liability.

Yeah kinda like how a professional athlete getting a sports-related injury is a sign they don't know SHIT about football, hurrr. You could totally have been a quarter back for the 49ers, you just felt that it was important to have balance in your life so you dedicated most of that time to playing video games

>getting this triggered over a random picture of a knife

absolute mastery-tier.

Went through an edgy, knife obsessed phase when I was younger, I reap the benefits every day. Knife games, throwing, juggling, cutting shit, literally easier than riding a bike at this point, and that's saying something in the Netherlands.

I cut towards myself and I very rarely cut myself. Like maybe once a year.

sloppy as fuck
but i get lots of compliments on it so maybe i'm just a harsh judge

Dutch Bushcraft Knives pls go

I suck

>that fuck-off chipped up blade

How the fuck do you even do this shit?

I'm a home cook who uses a Chinese cleaver. My knife work could be described as rustic.

Cheapest ceramic knives from Lidl.
This has been used for less than two weeks.

I'm alright, if a little slow. I like to be precise in my knife work and am happy to move slower but get precisely what I want every cut. Just cooking for myself and I've got a lot of time on my hands, so it's no biggie.

Please tell me you weren't in a kitchen when those chips happened? "Sir there's glass in my pineapple salsa"

I probably ate all those chips.

is it ok to wash my knives in my dishwasher?

Are you fucking crazy? You can, but you need to dry them immediately. Carbon steel rots in water.

LIDL?
LIDL?
whater the fuck its called

not only do I de-seed hot peppers, I also shave the skin off and brunoise the resulting peppermeat and onions and tomatoes for superfine pico de gayo

Pretty shit desu. I only recently started using an approximation to the claw grip and I've seen some improvement but I have a long way to go.

Not at all. I am, however, just cooking for myself, so I don't really care.

I mean, I'm not cutting my self or anything, but my chopped veggies are not even close to consistently even.

I'm absolutely dogshit at mincing and dicing stuff like garlic and ginger, but I take my time and have patience. Other than that, it's been a while since I've cut myself, so I guess I'm slowly getting better.

I'm not too good at it.Slow and innacurate, if I don't cut myself often. However, I'm easy to please, so even my subpar knife work, if it produces something that I like as a whole, is good to me.

no its not, not even close

Nothing like fresh blood in the meal

I'm good but I get overconfident and cut myself. Almost cut my knuckle off trying to karate chop the stems off some collards once. I was being retarded.

Yes but itll dull them fast, if theyre carbon its risky

I used to knife fight as a hobby, I'm confident that I could defeat numerous combatants at once without any issue. I wouldn't say I'm a ninja per se, but I definitely have many ninja traits.

That's an ignorant comparison because using a knife isn't physically taxing.
If you cut yourself you either weren't paying attention or don't know what you are doing.

I don't hold myself to too high of a standard in terms of sizing everything equally, but on a diced onion I'd say everything stays within 10% of average with most being very uniform

You sound like a per-sev master. How many times is your main folded? Ever make your own stone blade in the middle of a donnybrook?

If you’ve never cooked drunk you obviously hate food

This guy knows it.

Shit happens when you're hosed and cutting while watching tv.

ever heard of FORKS you retard

Fuck. It's so true.

Well, if you keep them sharp they can be decent.
The only real issue might be that they get dull faster.

Pretty good. I don't prep as much at work, but it's always improving. Looking to get into fish and poultry butchering.

Pic related, cured salmon for brunch.

>per-sev master
Is that from "Exposure"?

In terms of speed and skill, horrendous. In terms of patience and pacing, doing well.

My knife work is pretty good.
These knives are not responsible for it though, I just have a knife fetish.

This dude does have a good point. But then again you don't have to be overzealous or use too much force when you're cutting tofu.

Not great. I could practice, but I've never had great manual dexterity and I keep thinking I'd cut myself up while practicing going fast.
If I have to fine-cut a bunch of stuff very finely I'd rather get out the food processor and have to clean that fucking thing than cut it all by hand and just wash the knife and board.

those things are dangerous for drunks.
stop drinking.

is that a fucking spyderco?

Yeah, I carry a pocket knife when I'm at work too.
It's for boxes, and various cryovaced packages. I sharpened everything today so it's in the photo too.

cant cut boxes with chef knives

I'm not gonna carry one of my other knives into the freezer and shit every time I've gotta go get something, or go back to my cutting board to grab a knife every time I need to cook clams, salmon or steak.
It's easier and faster just to carry a pocket knife.

that was something i learned as a dishwasher.
'use one of these knives on boxes, we'll use one on you', sort of thing.

but, yes. i respect the convenience of a sharp ass knife on your hip rather than your hand.

Yeah, I'm really protective of my knives. I very rarely let others touch them and I dont use them for anything but the intended purpose.

It saves me a lot of time, really. It's also good because I dont need to worry about 7+ inches of blade going somewhere I dont want it to when I'm opening a box.

Not very. No idea what knife to use so I tend towards a knife that’s a little fatter than a steak knife and serrated for most everything. I don’t know what the proper name of it is.

>having to wear armor when preparing food
nigga are you retarded

A bread knife?

"behind you, sharp"
the absolute worst. it's like tv cooking shows, but worse
i had a dude come back in the salad/sandwich station once i got promoted and hit on me. foh employee. he waited on a proper moment and walked over to the grill on the other side of me and stated his presence purposefully. BEHIND YOU. it was embarrassing and annoying as fuck. i got shit on by the chef that kicked him out of the kitchen and the people working the other stations and shit. i hated doing small jobs in the kitchen. it was a great place to work though. wouldn't trade the education of being a dish whore to a line cook.

This is probably around my level. I guess what all of us on this board need is a very good, very sharp knife set, someone to point out which is the correct knife to use for what, and then everyone tests their own technique.

If someone is using wrong or dull knives they are bound to be less efficient regardless of technique.

I don’t think anyone gauges your knife skill by your patience or pacing, but glad to hear you aren’t rushing through it and cutting yourself a bunch or getting frustrated.

... do you cut yourself when dicing tofu?

I dont have that problem since most of the staff assume I'm crazy, because I probably am. I've noticed the one consistent thing about every kitchen is that you'll get shit on over everything because cooks are assholes. I'm also an asshole who joins in.

Cooking shows and the overzealous home cooks they've spawned are a blight, along with people who think they're anything like reality.

it's the food chain man.

Have you ever noticed that there's something either wrong or just weird about every cook you meet? I've never met a professional cook who wasn't some kind of crazy, or covered in tattoos. A few chefs, but never a cook.

they're all on trump time.
narcissist to a degree. i mean. they're dicks to each other but no one cares.

I came to the conclusion a long time ago that cooks are just people too weird or abrasive to get a job doing anything else.

hahahah. savage. you could be on to something.
thanks for posting you knives.

No, I’m not that dumb and those are usually long and have a blunt/rounded edge, don’t they?

I’d say it looks like this but serrated (can’t tell if this one is serrated or not) though I have used similar with a smooth edge and they are good too, I just have more of that type that are serrated.

Sorry, forgot the pic.

that loses a lot of it's rub during injection and/or handling. for the record.

A lot of bread knives have points. It's definitely a bread knife.

It's crazy, normally when I show off my knives online I get people spazzing out about them.

it's saturday before superbowl sunday. they're saving their juice dude.

I love working on superbowl sunday, it's always so dead and I just get to fuck around on the clock.

Circumcision? Pretty good. Cooking? Not so good.

besides. you can say shit about that set unless you want to get into a stupid fucking internet argument.

Bad home cooks always latch onto the fact that they're all asian knives, and call it a meme.
Then they buy euro knives with shit carbon content and can't cut even a tomato.

well, i do fine with my shit knife. i'm not a trained chef. this issue evades me.
i like my 30 dollar knife. it's sharp enough not to be dangerous and it feels nice in my hand.

Nothing wrong with that as long as you're good with it. Like I said before, I just like knives. Most people I work with use the worst shit and do a decent enough job. It's more about the hand than the knife, you know?

i hear that most serious injuries come from the person having to use too much force or using the wrong tool.

Essentially, a sharp knife goes where you want it to and a dull one goes where it wants to.

i dig that.
do you make menus or work for an executive chef?

Ceramic is for chumps

I used to for a few years but I burnt out really hard from the long hours and harsh conditions, so I work in a pub right now.
My current coworkers don't understand why I'm so relaxed there.

haha. they're running circles around you with a half a bar worth of people ordering appetizers?

There's also a decently sized dining room, but pretty much. When I started we'd have 6 cooks on a busy night and I replaced 3 of them by myself within a month.

i knew a guy at a local chain and he would just talk on the phone and listen to music and look at tickets. it was a fry house. mostly fish. the newbies would go bonkers when the tickets started rolling. it was fun to watch. he'd do most of the work then put the orders out and make them think they were backed up so they'd make his lunch inadvertently.

he worked his ass off, but it was cold as ice. he was from a fine dining place first.

That's pretty much what I do. I text people and listen to music. Busier nights pass the time easier but short of the times I've come to work with a torn shoulder or a torn knee, it's never been enough to make me struggle to keep up.
I had to work with one arm for a month last year, , and could barely walk a month ago, and I was still up to par for this job

I kinda miss the pressure of working in nicer places.