Saffron

This has got to be the most overrated ingredient in the gourmet world.

Does it even make things taste good? Is worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6s1W_2THFtI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>in the gourmet world.

Yes. It has this subtle and unique earthly flavor. When you cook something with saffron, you wouldn’t want to overload with other flavors. It’s excellent with seafood and rice.

It's mostly for colour, but it's got a very delicate, subtle flavour that makes it ideal for tiny little svensk kakor and flavouring plain fruit like pears.
The only reason it's expensive is that it's a complete bugger to harvest.

>Gourment world

Toriko plz. Saffron is a meme spice.

>This has got to be the most overrated ingredient in the gourmet world.
>hasn't tried it

You'll only use half a gram to a gram of it so it's no big deal really. Compare that price to the other ingredients you use in a meal. It's a nice addition in fish soups, and I know it's commonly used in rice dishes.

SAFFRON. BUTTER. GARLIC. RICE.

WORDS. PERIODS. CAPSLOCK.

It takes up lots of land to grow it in very specific climates, the only way to harvest it is to go around the saffron field and pick the flowers.
After that you pick the actual saffron out of the flower with a pair of tweezers. The yield per acre is fuck all and it's very labor intensive.
You can't just grow this stuff in your backyard.

funny.
youtube.com/watch?v=6s1W_2THFtI

Why do saffron and paprika even exist when we have yellow and red food coloring?

I dunno. I'm just wild about it.

imo not the most overrated but overrated sure.
it actually can make stuff taste great and isn't overshadowed by cheaper products like lobster gets BTFO'd by shrimp

Neat

Its a basic in a good paella

HOLY SHIT SON, YOU CAN GROW PLANTS?!
THAT JUST BLEW MY MIND

It's expensive because the little fuckers have to be handpicked; and like most ingredients they lose a lot of flavor over time.

Your Walmart shelf saffron is indeed shit.

Don't try this in New Zealand.

Shut your mouth about paprika.

>muh color
>muh fragrance

>wild
>not mad
you fucked up

>watching budget food recipies by Gordon Ramsey
>1st dish is lamb
>2nd dish he uses fucking saffron

Those are fucking bs. Use a bit of nice meat,and figure out how to make it last for a family over a couple of days. Like what's the be tastiest way to make a whole chicken last as long as possible, he should've done that.

/thread

I hear you can also do the same thing with animals.

$20 home-made meals are "on a budget" for him

whats the most budget friendly way to get saffron?

idk steal it probably

theft

Learn Arabic
Teleport to Morocco
Exchange the local currency for saffron by negotiating with a Moroccan saffron farmer
Teleport back home

paprika is extremely flavorful

i heard u can use dried marigold petals as a spice to give the same color as saffron does but it tastes like peppery or something

good joke. I even bought some of the "extremely flavorful" expensive super fresh paprika because I fell for this trick before. It tastes like almost nothing

Ever thought that the reason your tastebuds don’t work properly is because you’ve desensitised them through years of eating nothing but heavily sugar laden foods and junk? Americans are fucking cancer on this board I swear

Nah, truffle oil is the most obnoxious ingredient to ever exist.

I don't eat sugary processed food. I eat Veeky Forums type shit to keep my abs. I just think paprika tastes like nothing. Like 95% of people that have tasted it.

if you use it in enormous quantities, sure.
you probably used it like it was cayenne. it's not.

I used about 1/3 of a cup making goulash. you probably think sucking your moms dick is normal. it's not.

how does someone get this mad over paprika

Well yeah, they have a ban on home gardens there.

Shut the fuck up you abnormal sack of chromosomes.

> (OP)
>Yes. It has this subtle and unique earthly flavor. When you cook something with saffron, you wouldn’t want to overload with other flavors. It’s excellent with seafood and rice.

>makes paella, adds onions and garlic. Don't wanna overpower the shitty saffron though.

Get safflower

I really need to grow my own shit

I’m Persian. We use this shit in everything. Most westerners don’t understand how to use the ingredient, and end up spoiling their food/wasting it the first time they try it. Use a mortar and pestle to grind it down, then pour hot water over the mixture until it’s a reasonably dark red liquid. Use the liquid while cooking. That’s it really.

We used to do it in the south before Lincoln made them free range.

Ya'll are just some weebs watching food wars

Most paellas don’t even use saffron.

Thanks Gordon

That shit is delicious, but it's not suited for the burger palate of uneducated flyovers like you.

Steal it, no shame. The people who actually harvested it and sold it got payed peanuts, while the fucking retailers are getting the most of it.

I say steal it.

>"payed"
>being comfortable with robbing people
typical frogposter

That photo makes me sad.

What the fuck? Why?

>that guy who asked for more information
>video poster bitches at him to just google it when all he wanted was information directly from the video source

This. I have a small harvest of Saffron from stealing some seeds from a Saffron farm in Costa Rica.

Yeah, saffron is a bit overrated. So is white truffle. Black truffle has a deeper and more full flavour. Plus it is way cheaper.