Q:

Why aren't you christian?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qN80_7rNmcE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because Christianity is just another story created by man. You should ask people why they don't believe in higher powers.

I used to be a christian like you, then I took an arrow in the knee

Sly

Because I'm terrified of what lies beyond if it's true. So I try to convince myself that atheists have it right.

But it's worth thinking about what a wide range of definitions/criteria people have for what constitutes being a Christian. Do you have to accept everything the Bible says about the divinity, humanity, death, resurrection, and promised return of Christ? Was Jefferson still a Christian after he hacked up the Bible? Can you just be a fan of the sayings attributed to him and still be one? What about Mormons? Jehovah's Witnesses? There's been a lot of blurring and appropriation of the label

That mans hideous head is proof enough there is no God.

No. It is the proof the He is and has a sense of humour.

Wow, cheap shot, God.

my very existence summed up desu senpai

Until the Reformation the criteria was being a member of the apostolic church (Catholic/Orthodox) run by bishops and assenting to its doctrine. Any other type of "Christian" would be a heretic.

worshipping YHWH is blase

And Catholics and Orthodox call each other heretics too. And there are a bunch of other churches that consider themselves Christian outside of the big three.

Dunno, my folks picked my name.

Ultimately known to God alone, but JW and Mormons seem too far off

because i'm a jew :)

Because I have nothing other than Pascal's wager to give me any reason to become a Christian. And even then I can't just become a Christian if I don't believe.

So I've got nothing, OP. I have no reason to be a Christian if I do not believe in a higher power as it is professed to be by the bible and by the religion.

Can you give me a reason why I should be a Christian?

If you are a jew, why you do not perform goat sacrifices?

never argue with a religious person, you'll get stuck in the loop of "because I have faith" and "my god is the only true god"

Honest question, do you have atheism?

Because i'm an adult and I wouldn't get any peace of mind from playing pretend I was certain about things i'm simply not.

Because repeating things doesn't make them true. Choosing to "Believe" whatever unfalsifiable claims bring you comfort isn't a solid way to construct opinions.

Cause I'm a woke ass snownigga.

Because I accept an ontological incompleteness

I'm a physician. ;)

I am incapable of faith. I've read the Bible in three translations, studied secondary works of different denominations, and even took theological courses at a Catholic university, but could not believe.

I don't believe in miracles, nor a transcendent God.

If it means you never have to challenge your beliefs this rebuttal is excellent. I hope you take a less retarded approach to other issues.

Lol. You are human ergo capable of faith.

I gave faith a determined effort. Joined a church, read the Bible from cover-to-cover, went to every mass for over a year, paid attention to every sermon, mulled over the meaning of what I was being told and shown, recited my prayers, and confessed.

It was empty. I was going through the motions.

I no more believe in the god of Abraham and Jesus and Mohammed than I do in the pagan Celtic gods, or the ancient Egyptian deities, or in reincarnation in the way it is portrayed in Buddhism.

I see a continuum, from the beginning of time and space, to the end of it. Since then, nothing has truly "begun" and nothing has truly "ended." There has just been change. Everything is at once independent and connected, and at the end of it all, when there is maximum entropy, everything will be one and the same. Perhaps this oneness that exists and also doesn't, this continuation from start to finish, is god. It is not a literal god. But perhaps it is god anyway.

For now, we enjoy life. We enjoy sentience. Our flesh bodies will die and crumble and disperse but energy is never truly extinguished, merely changed. And so what was once "us" will continue on until the end. What we do with our brief episodes of consciousness is up to us, but I believe we should be as kind as possible. It is easy to be cruel. It is easy to say, "Why should I be good if there is no punishment, or reward for it later? No afterlife?"

But why be cruel? What does meanness gain you, in this short episode of consciousness?

I don't know. It's a difficult question.

I had sincerely attempted, and am still fascinated with the theology of Christianity. But I cannot say I am a believer.

Because I don't need to believe in it. My problems in life do not come from the fear of the unknown and the lack of meaning of everything.
My problems come from my inadequacy and incapability to take control of my life. These problems will not be fixed by believing in Christianity.
If I believe in god, I am not going to suddenly lose 80 pounds and have a job in the city.
Furthermore, the general beliefs and world view of Christians does not align with my own world view. Christianity teaches one to be meek but the meek don't get anything in this world.
Finally, because it goes against my conscience. My observations of reality makes it very difficult to believe the explanations of the bible for how things came to be. I cannot believe in this stuff without seeing myself as a fool.

Because fire isn't an argument. Also because I can't rationally understand Christianity, though I can understand Christian philosophy, and I can't maintain any spiritual disposition long enough to let that hold me down in belief.

Heh.. GAY

I have never understood why anyone would be a Christian.

Well, I am. What's your point?

I am though. Ive been to church nearly every Sunday since I was born

Have you heard of the high elves?

Hey bro
it seems like you could really do with some books to help you with those frustrations. I used to think I was to smart to be nice to people too but I as I got older I learned that everyone has their own issues. These great books might help you out a great deal!:

1 The Great Gatsby Scott Fitzgereld.
2 The Celestine prophesy by James Redfield.
3. Life was never meant to be a struggle, Stuart Wilde.
4 the sound and the fury by Faulknert.
5. Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ
by Daniel Goleman Read it!
6. Steinbecks of Mice and men.
7. You are not so smart by david Mcraney

youtube.com/watch?v=qN80_7rNmcE