Kitchen Knives

Hey Veeky Forums, it's finally time for me to buy a decent kitchen knife. For the past 2 years I have been using a Chicago Cutlery santoku. My budget is $150 and I really like the look of the Shun Classic 8 but I heard Shun's are meme knives. Any and all in put is appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

aplusrstore.com/product/1499/furtif-evercut-knives
youtube.com/watch?v=ElX4PUUsja0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Check out Dalstrong. They sell on Amazon and make decent stuff. Have some vg10 knives too.

Shuns are meme knives. My moron friend bought one on a whim and says you're instructed to not sharpen them at home but to mail them back to the company so they can sharpen them themselves. It's a total scam.

That being said, I have no suggestions.

Thanks, will check it out.

Really, that's fucked. I appreciate the help. What do you use in your kitchen ?

To be fair, you aren't instructed to *not* sharpen them at home. They just happen to offer free lifetime sharpening. If you don't want to go two weeks without your knife while it's in the mail you can still sharpen it yourself.

I have a set of Shun Shoras because Alton Brown shilled them on youtube. I honestly like them quite a bit. I don't really have a reference frame because these are my first Not-Absolute-Shit knives, but they're sharp and the edge lasts a good while. As mentioned above, they offer free lifetime sharpening, but I have't taken advantage of that yet.

The only thing to note (and I'm not sure if this is true for the Classic or just the Soras) but the chef's knife has a pretty flat cutting edge as opposed to a pretty rounded edge that you see on European knives, so the angle of attack is a little different and the motion you need to rock the blade is slightly awkward at first.

How long have you had the sora's? I heard there issues with blade delamination and the handle breaking. But they have lifetime warranty right?

Yeah, but you gotta sharpen it with a whetstone. You can't just use a honer like your run-of-the-mill knives.

Coming up on a year now. They've seen around moderate use and I haven't had any issues. The chef's knife is just now starting to dull a little so I'm going to have a friend of mine teach me how to sharpen it. Also, my roommate dropped it once and it didn't chip or show any damage at all. They have a lifetime warranty but I'm not sure how extensive it is. If the blade was delaminating or the handle loosened or anything, I'm betting those would be covered.

You have to sharpen any knife with a whetstone. A hone just puts all of the curled edges on a blade back into line. To sharpen a knife you actually have to remove material, which is where whetstones come in.

Cool, check out a YouTube channel called burrfection. He does knife and whetstone reviews. He does sharpening tutorials too. I recommend the king kw65 1000/6000.

>you have to sharpen a knife with a whetstone
nigga you implying everyone you know who cooks on the regular owns and uses a whetstone to sharpen their knives? Even cooks around here only use honers. Literally no one knows what the fuck a whetstone even is outside of high class cuisine.

Thanks! I'll give that a look.

All I'm saying is a hone, by definition, does not sharpen a knife. Most home cooks buy cheap knives and use those pull through ceramic sharpeners. Most kitchens I've seen just hire someone to come in once a month and sharpen all the knives.

ITT: retards who don't understand that honing = sharpening

When people talk about hones in relation to knives they're talking about those metal rods that you hold and run the blade along. They don't remove any material from the knife.

Is that so

Yeah. Sometimes they're made out of ceramic as well.

I'm waiting for pic related in the mail, did I do ok or is it overrated? It seems like a safe bet and I'm used to using an 8" knife just like it. Going any bigger seemed like it would just be awkward to use, I fucking hate santokus, and I like having a bolster.

This. Economical. Well made. Used in pro-grade kitchens. Who needs anything else?

Just get a $40 Victorinox. Expensive knives are a meme

How long until we have self-sharpening knives?

aplusrstore.com/product/1499/furtif-evercut-knives
Is there any truth to this knife holding an edge for 25 years?
>The laser-bonded titanium-carbide surface lasts 300 times longer than standard steel and 5 times longer than ceramic, according to third-party testing. In layman’s terms, that means the average user should only need to sharpen it once every 25 years.

>Dalstrong
Enjoy your overpriced Taiwanese knives.

I've got one of those. It's pretty fucking great.

Real talk here, whats the general opinion on victorinox? Asking for a friend

Chef here. Shuns are overpriced and chip easily. If you're looking to get a first "good" knife, get a Tojiro DP(pic related).

They're japanese steel, but are really reasonably priced (like $60 bucks or so). Sharp as shit and holds an edge well. Take the extra money you save and get a water stone and a ceramic honing rod. You'll thank me later.

That looks dope. Titanium carbide is hard as fuck. They use that shit for friction drilling metal, which is crazy if you've ever seen it.

Bought the 23cm version a couple of months ago and I think it's great

I have got the narrower slicer version. They are pretty good, but I am not a fan of the bulky thicc handle. Not nice for pinch grip, and I am a big guy.

Shuns are not meme knives
They are decent knives with hard steel edges.
They chip if they are mistreated or mishandled.
They do not chip when handled by someone who knows what they are doing. If you don't want to take advantage of their sharpening policy. feel free to do so - no one is forcing you. What is a meme are all of their differently styled blades. Come on, just make the blade - stop putting loads of weird ass fake damascus styles etc on them.

My recommendation is to get a Decent Santoku by either Zwilling's Pro series or equivalent. Pick a size that makes sense for you. Get a knife with a forgiving durability and make sure you get a block or something if you dont already have one - never fucking let your knives roll around and get fucked up in a drawer.

so what's the story behind the weird sock

It's actually a type of mushroom.

youtube.com/watch?v=ElX4PUUsja0

I bought one of their paring knives. The grip is good, but the blade became dull fairly quickly, and I was merely cutting vegetables with it. Overall I like it, but I've had much better blades before.

>Titanium carbide is hard as fuck
Except that it's only a "layer" of TiCN. As a hobbyist machinist, I can buy solid carbide endmills for about 2X the cost of steel, and they last MUCH longer. I have no idea why someone would spraypaint a knife with a thin coating instead of just making the blade out of solid carbide. The coating isn't going to last.

Would it really hold an edge for that much longer compared to a regular steel knife though? I'm guessing they only used a layer because of the cost. It says you're supposed to send it back to them if it ever needs sharpening, I don't know if they'll redo the whole layer or not.