Bread thread

Bread thread.

I like baking, but I'm not a huge fan of pastries and overly sweet things. I'm especially not a fan of frosting. I'm gonna make some melon bread tomorrow because it's sweet, but not overly sweet, and doesn't have frosting. What's your favorite thing to bake? Gimme some suggestions.

Other urls found in this thread:

kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe
karenskitchenstories.com/2017/05/tartine-basic-country-bread.html
thisisabreadblog.tumblr.com/post/168325678062/high-hydration-80-sourdough-with-flax-and
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I like slopsovshit....big gnarly slopsovshit

Conchas son sabrosas. Tambion una concha de una nena gostosa jaja.

We don't speak brown nigger here

I'm honestly more upset about you replying to obvious bait than about the bait itself.

So now what do we do?

PAAAAAAARRTTAAAYY!!!!

Cinnamon rolls the Swedish way. No frosting and baked more like a normal bread bun but with sweet filling rolled into it.

making cinnamon rolls lads. first time making them, hope they come out ok.

basically a low butter brioche with cinnamon sugar added, then rolled. Got 4 more in the fridge to make later

Now that's a great idea. These look like lots of fun

I had an illegal Sweedish nanny as a kid (she's back in Sweden now and has since been CHINK'd). She used to make enriched rolls that ended up like this. They were quite good and kept for a while.

>Conchas

If you want them to be a little bit fancier like that just make a three fold after you've spread your filling and then do whatever you want. Either just roll it up and cut normal cinnamon rolls that will have better layering or cut it up in strips and do whatever shapes you want. You could cut a strip into three, braid it and then roll up for a fancy-ass shape.

Are you talking about the saffron buns? Tasty as fuck and no sugar other than what's in the dough, a tip is to let the raisins soak in madeira or something so they don't dry up in the oven. I know some people make normal bread buns with the dough and then when they come straight from the oven dip the top first in melted butter and then in sugar.

I don't have a dough hook for my mixer. Will a paddle attachment work well enough, or is there some weird science reason why a dough hook produces a better taste?

Is it hard to make sourdough? I have very little baking experience and never baked bread, so would it be a hard task to attempt?

Make as normal bread. Use slightly off milk. Or force it to go off by adding a little vinegar to fresh milk. The starter thing is largely bullshit.

weaaaboooooooo

Yes, it will be hard in the beginning. If you are persistent, it will get easier. Baking bread really is a science. You need a controlled environment.

I'm sure I'll get made fun of, but I got the game of thrones cookbook for christmas a bit back and the black bread recipe is fun.

One 12oz bottle of warm dark beer, such as stout or porter
1 packet yeast (2 1/4 tsp.)
2 Tbs. honey
1 egg
2 tsp kosher salt
4-5 cups flour (we used 2 cups white flour, 2 cups rye, and 1/2 cup whole wheat) plus 1/2 cup for working.
In a small bowl, add the yeast to the beer and allow to sit for 5 minutes until foamy. To this, add the egg and honey. Combine dry ingredients, then add gradually until you have a cohesive, workable dough that isn’t too sticky. Knead about 5 minutes, then cover and let rise for at least 1 hour.

Punch down mixture, and divide in two. Shape into your desired loaf, then let rise for at least 2 hours or refrigerated overnight.

Pre-heat oven to 450F. Dust the loaf lightly with flour and slash top.

Bake for 25-30min or until the crust is nicely browned. Let stand for at least 15 minutes.

What is starter? Ive read recipes and that was what put me off. I'm fairly confident at cooking but don't want to repeatedly make the bread incorrectly

>The starter thing is largely bullshit.
No it isn't, it adds complex flavors to the bread. Adding vinegar to milk will give it a tang but it won't be the same. Good for a shortcut though.

It's basically flour and water that has accumulated wild yeasts and bacteria that add different flavors depending on where you are. With a good starter and when used properly it almost adds a cheesy flavor to bread. I loved making super sour breads and eating them with butter and honey but unless you regularly bake bread it might not be worth it to you because it needs to be regularly "fed" with fresh flour and water to keep everything alive.

I use a spoon and patience.

The love of your bread-to-be fuels the kneading, and is the true secret to its deliciousness.

Any other simpler breads to try? I like crusty, substantial bread. Not too fond of stretchy white bread. Something nice with just a smear of butter will do

I've made decent sourdough in about 10 minutes using yogurt and no starter etc. Can't find the recipe right now.

kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe

This is about as simple as you can get. Just mix everything up and then wait a few hours until you can shape the bread, wait a little more, then bake it. It says if you wait the full 7 days it'll take like sourdough, I'm not sure if that's totally true or not, but it'll still taste good.

>black bread
>no blood, only rye
Oh well, sounds like an interesting bread. How did it turn out other than fun?

Haha perfect link thank you

I liked it. It was dense and did go really well with honey and an egg or just some cheese. I'm not good at describing tastes, but it did feel very medieval.

>Got two fancy loaf pans
>Never actually use them because free hand bread is much more fun.
send help. or recipes.

I've been watching a lot of Good Eats lately. Any good baking shows I can add in if I want to actually learn how to bake?

do you mean bread using natural yeast? I made some for the first time last weekend, it was pretty easy

starter is basically a ball of flour and water that cultures natural yeast. you keep in in your fridge and feed it more flour and water once a week. when you want to make sourdough, you use the starter

ciabatta bred has become popular recently for its simplicity and open crumb

hopefully I didn't overcook

NETA

>We don't speak brown nigger here
arent most of the posters on Veeky Forums american tho?

Looks good, if a bit dry-find a sugar glaze recipe that you like. There's no point to holding back, if you're going to have cinammon rolls.
I made some a while earlier; I should have doubled the cinnamon that went into them.

yes mostly fat asian female americans

GOHAN BLANCO

i always glaze my cinnamon buns with sweetened warm milk
about 20mins into cooking, i use a pastry brush to cover the top of the buns generously, and then when i take them out, i do exactly the same again
i always cover the buns as they cool, as the steam softens the crust a lot

you can also make the buns in a ring, so you put one small bun in the centre and then 6 around the outside
it ends up like a tear'n'share

>best before date on whiskey

Well that's something.

Mix your cinammon sugar mixture with some butter. Also glaze them

Just made sourdough bread this morning. Really good!

I'm still a bit of a beginner, but I found a recipe I like that just calls for 1 tsp of yeast. I know I'm supposed to use instant or fresh (I've only ever used active dry and wild yeast before) but which one should I use? Will it make much of a difference?

Shouldn't make much of a difference. You could even use active or wild if you like.

Someone have the webm of various breads baking?

>yes mostly fat asian female afro-mexicans

Not sure if it counts, but I love making pizza dough.

Sunflower seed bread:
500g whole-grain flour, 250g sunflower seeds, ~450 ml water, one pack/cube of yeast, salt. Mix and let it rise for an hour. Pour dough into greased loaf pan (standard is butter, I like olive oil). Let rise some more. Bake for an hour at 200°C. Take it out of the loaf pan and let it rest. Voila, you're done!

it's a pain to get a starter going, takes a few days and you've gotta be good about feeding it regularly. but the results are worth it. pic related is the first loaf of sourdough i ever baked.

yeah thats why the boards so fucking shit goymericans really ruin everythign

I present to you Skrädda kakor. Best bread I know.

>100 grams yeast
>1 liter milk
>100 grams butter
>2 dl dark syrup
>1 tablespoon salt
>1 tablespoon ground anise
>1 tablespoon ground fennel
>14 dl wheat flour
>10 dl rye flour

>100g yeast

Holy fuck.

To anyone who want to try making sourdough bread but don't have the time or space for a starter, give a poolish a try. It imparts many of the same flavors and characteristics, but you simply mix it the night before hand and let it ferment.

Got a recipe/instructions for that loaf my dude?

i used this recipe:
karenskitchenstories.com/2017/05/tartine-basic-country-bread.html

fwiw i've since made much better loaves with a different base recipe. pic related was this recipe:
thisisabreadblog.tumblr.com/post/168325678062/high-hydration-80-sourdough-with-flax-and

instantly overproofed holy shit

Thanks m8, I really like sourdough but don't regularly bake so keeping a starter was too inconvenient for me. I'll give that a try.