Hawaiian "Cuisine"

So let me get this straight. Hawaiians have lived on that island for many centuries, right? Surrounded by ocean. Seafood lives in the ocean. And yet... their "cuisine" consists of pairing things with Spam -- a mass of processed and preserved meats. WTF?

Welcome to the effects of a culture being stamped out by successive waves of occupying invaders. In this case, the U.S. military are the ones that brought SPAM to the islands.

Oh. That's pretty sad.

Hawaiians also eat buckets of macaroni and mayonnaise. But no fish. They never eat fish, or native fruits or vegetables. Just Spam and macaroni salad.

Oh cmon food is one of the most resilient parts of one's culture, mostly because it's one of those things that invaders/colonizers don't bother to ban. If it says anything, the Hawaiians adopted Spam cuisine voluntarily because it tastes good to them.

Thats not the way it went down dumbass. We didnt force anyone to eat spam. They approached us all like "hey brah...wuzin duh can?" They liked it and were all "you got anymore?"

yeah, i wouldn't take much of what they do/say seriously. they're dumber than mississippians, but they're healthier, so who fucking knows.

Are you being sarcastic? Cause you can buy fresh poke at the fucking 7-11 In Hawaii. They eat tons of fish.

maybe they just like spam op ya raciat

yea i went to hawaii this past summer for the first time and wasnt very impressed with the food, but i had already heard about it so i wasnt letdown or anything.i'll dump a few pics
miso octopus poke

shoyu tuna poke

the famous shrimp truck. this is the spicy version. i had the original too and liked it more, but it seems overhyped

forgot where this was but it was just some fast food place. burger was good though

Nah, man, that's just a piece of their cuisine. WW2 came and they needed something to send to the pacific front, and after the war there was such a surplus that they just dumped it on the locals afterwards, and then it sorta took off with piss cheap meat, that with some garlic, some salt, egg and rice can make a fast cheap meal. It also makes for great Musubi which also so easy and cheap to make, while also being good, that everyone makes and has some, even at the gas stations. Spam is good dude, you just don't know how to approach it

t. never left Waikiki and only went to tourist spots

on the money. i was only there for a few days and wanted to do touristy things. next time when i go ill have to do some actual research

I lived there for a few years. Yeah, there's a lot of junk food. They do have a weird fetish for canned meat. The other foods I think typify Hawaiian cuisine are rice, pork, fish, and tropical fruit. Think polynesian soul food.

>fucking spam on rice is the epitome of Hawaiian cuisine

I fucking loved haleiwa. Did you go to matsumoto's?

I'm a fucking idiot and didn't even see the that the bag was from matstmoto's. Wow

*rad

Alaska has a big pacific islander population so we have this shit at the gas stations, I fucking love it

Same with the PNW and to a lesser degree NorCal. Hawaii bros don't want to move too far away from the ocean when they go to the mainland, apparently.

>served with shell on

id eat it. rather have a sweet teriyaki dippping sauce for it than standard soy, im thinkin. what comes with it?

pork cant be traditional either

>Americans eat over processed junk food
Who would of thought it?

You don't dip musubi. Usually the spam has some teriyaki glaze on it, along with maybe some furikake.

The original settlers brought domesticated pigs to Hawaii 1000 years before Captain Cook. Pork is a far more traditional Hawaiian food than is rice.

ah

>would of
Europeans are illiterate peons. Who "would of" thought?

lol yeah it was pretty great. huge line for it but nice to have during the hot summer day
i usually just eat the shells anways but these were too big so yeah my fingers had to get real dirty

Looks pretty cheap, you get what you pay for.

Best Hawaiian food coming through.

Wait hold on, you eat the shells?

I prefer a nice simple spicy poke but yeah laulau is legit

if its a smaller shrimp and especially if its fried yeah. it's not bad

I can't believe anyone is this stupid.

I can't believe anyone this stupid would try to call out anyone else.

Need to pay up some cash and get into an authentic luau. Me and my senpai had a great time and the food was delicious.