Slow cooker

Howdy Veeky Forums, what are your thoughts on slow cookers? I just got one (different than pic related, but mine is hamilton beach as well). What are your best recipes? Are they for people who can't cook, or are you gonna not be a dick and just post great slow cooker recipes?

bump
does no one on Veeky Forums own a slow cooker

I like slow cookers. Good for eating healthy without a lot of time

No, only medium speed cookers

what are some recipes you recommend? I only tried a NYT butter chicken recipe by Jennifer Steinhauer, it was aight

A pressure cooker is superior in every aspect.

this I love my electric pressure cooker

I've seeing plenty of slow-cooker recipes lately. Why?

Not the same guy, but throw some potato chunks and a chicken breast or two in there. Make a sauce out of soy sauce, honey, some minced garlic, chili paste or sriracha, and maybe a bit of any other spices you think would add to the taste. Pour your sauce over the chicken and potatoes and cook on low for seven hours. Baste and mix everything around every so often. Throw some green beans in at the last half hour.

you're actually hilarious
those are death traps

thanks for the recipe! il give it a shot

Relly? Death Traps?
The mordern ones is secure as fuck. Even the old ones aren't that danger. I use one almost everyday in the last 17 years.

I wrote like a retard. Pardon me

They make the best chilli.

Does a pot in a low heat oven count?

Chicken breasts, taco seasoning, salsa
Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
Now you have shredded chicken you can either put on tacos or quesadillas, or eat it by itself. Very good for body building as well.

Braising is also good

then give a recipe dammit i gotta try new shit with my slow cooker

can be used to make pulled pork

Is it safe to put raw meat in a crockpot or does it need to be cooked beforehand?

It’s safe to put raw meat in.

I use crock pots for bean soup. See pic. They are superior when done in a crock pot vs other ways. Pick over, clean and rinse beans, pour in beans, water, a chopped onion, and optional ham hock or smoked turkey neck (can pull both from freezer). When it's done, you can finish with a squeeze of lemon or splash of vinegar to brighten it up. Make your own bean soup, alternately, from frozen (best) or dried beans: lima beans, red beans, senate navy bean soup, black beans, etc. If not using a hock, saute one of those BOGO ham steaks to serve with it. To serve, I like to toast up some garlic bread, or I'll bake a beer quick bread or cornbread in the cast iron. If you are single get a smaller 2-3qt crock, and modify recipes. 12 cups of bean soup fills up the freezer for leftovers.

Beef stew. Chuck or rump, make big chunks, dredge in seasoned flour, brown on all sides, and dump into crock with onions, mushrooms, garlic, carrot, celery, peppers, etc, and add liquid of choice: canned italian tomatoes, wine, stock, coffee, water. Add squash at end. I like to morph a stew with sour cream, paprika and serve over egg noodles day 2, or curryize it.

St Patricks/new england boiled dinner. Corned beef, cabbage, corn, potatoes, etc. Beer and stock is the liquid. Leftover corned beef sandwiches w/mustard on rye, or corned beef hash with a fried egg.

Sometimes, though rarely, I'll see such a deal on country style ribs or BOGO, that I'll lay them in there, onions, water/stock. Be careful not to over-braise pork in liquid or it toughens the protein and pulls out the fat, ugh. Gently pull out the pork, and glaze with hoisin/ginger/chili paste under broiler, or bbq, or jalapeno jelly+salsa, etc, any kind of idea, where you make the pork flavors work for your theme menu. Not really a fan of pulled pork in a crock pot, but broiling it at the end, really quickly gives you some caramelized glaze and browning that compensates.

just don't put frozen meat in and you're good

-line the bottom with bacon
-add pork shoulder (make plenty of incisions and stuff minced garlic in all 'em)
-rub brown sugar, paprika, salt and chili powder on it
-melt butter, add some water, ketchup, soy sauce and a dash of worchestershire, whisk that and put it on the bottom so nothing burns too bad
-let it cook overnight
-shred it, juices and all
-toast some taco sized corn tortillas
-add pork, hot sauce, lime

Google "slow cooker chili".

Jesus Christ, we always have a slow cooker thread up. ALWAYS. Sometimes two.

Alright, calm down rodecker.

Chicken noodles is all I use mine for. I need to learn to cook more. Made chili one time a couple of months ago and it was okay.

I cook a lot of roasts or otherwise big cheap cuts off meat and eat them for several days afterwards. It's important to learn how much liquid to use for your particular cooker since the seals can be all over the place, so one person's dry is another's boiled meat.

I use my slow cooker a lot. You can never make an A+ dish with it. Nothing world class. But you can make a B+ meal very easily with no effort. It's great if you are busy.

couldn't find one.
yeah that's what i'm hoping for
i'll try, thanks!