Film Theory

Best books on film theory?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OqpxT_iJ8Mc&feature=youtu.be&t=180
youtube.com/watch?v=PRXI__Wixas&list=PLJGOq3JclTH8J73o2Z4VMaSYZDNG3xeZ7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>pic absolutely unrelated

Film theory is mostly watered down phenomenology, just skip it for the latter.

Metz wrote a good book on Film Language, Kael’s reviews are brilliant, Robin Wood did good work analyzing Hitchcock (and others), Truffaut’s interview with Hitch is essential.

I think Zizek has some humorous points but I don’t take him seriously (he doesn’t even watch many of the movies he mentions). Sitney and Gary Indiana have written some good essays on film.

Etc, etc.

Paul Virilio - War and Cinema

Trufant wrote one I believe.

Which one?

Susan Sontag's Theatre and Cinema, and the whole Styles of Radical Will which contain that one and more essays. Most of those refer more or less directly to cinema.

Andre Bazin

Which stuff?

>Susan Sontag
stopped reading there

why?

why, lol

He wrote two?

Some psycho-sexual trauma, liklely.

START WITH EISENSTEIN

bazin was wrong, and a faggot

Audiovision by Michel Chion. Only plebs will pretend image is enough to analyze films

How was he wrong?

What would you recommend in that genre for a newbie?

>let's make an art where every. single. element. is. purely. artificial.
>let's try to emulate reality ^^^___^^^ RawRrr xD

What's so wrong about it?

It's restricting your ability to express/convey/whatever something because you arbitrarily decide to restrict the numbers of tools at your disposition in order to try and reach a nonsensical goal that, by the very nature of the medium you're using, cannot be attained.

>Film """"Theory"""""""

Wew lad. Humanities fags are really stretching to find something to talk about these days, aren't they? What's next, video game theory?

Tbqh there is a certain theory to determine how to make a fun game

>Aristotle's Poetics comes out
>"""""""dramatic theory"""""""""""
>wew lad. Humanities fags are really stretching to find something to talk about these days, aren't they? What's next, painting theory?

Whats wrong with her? I noticed she's never mentioned round here. I haven't read any further than a couple of essays from Styles of radical will so I can't say anything. Is she a hack?

bump

I would also like to know this.

Second this. Read something like Jameson's Geopolitical Aesthetic that theorises using film rather than trying to explicitly theorise film per se.

Although no-one seriously talks about "realism" in the sense Bazin does anymore, he's a very good place to start.

Zizek literally fast forwards the slow parts of films.

Cinema of Cruelty

I've got Andre Bazin, Noel Carroll, and Pauline Kael on my backlog. Can't vouch for any of 'em yet but each has caught my interest.

>every. single. element. is. purely. artificial.
Define your terms.

How do you know?

He has said so.

What backlog? What for?

Where? Why would he do that?

bt

btw, how did you respond so quickly?!

youtube.com/watch?v=OqpxT_iJ8Mc&feature=youtu.be&t=180
not the same user

I just mean I've made a mental note to read them.

last bump

My diary desu.

I bump too. Waiting for an answer

Sculpting in Time by demigod Tarkovsky. Also Eisenstein.

There are a ton of answers in this thread.
>Truffaut/Hitchcock
>the work of Bazin
>Metz's Film Language
>Robin Wood's Hitchcock's Films Revisited and Hollywood from Vietnam to Reagan
>Agee on Film
>Kael's 5001 Nights at the Movies
>Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time
>Sontag's Notes on Camp and her essay on Syberberg's Hitler: A Film from Germany
>Lynch on Lynch
>Deleuze's Cinema 1 and Cinema 2
>Manny Farber's Negative Space
>Rosenbaum and Hoberman's Midnight Movies

Pick and choose.

Mark Cousin's the Story of Film: an Odyssey

>hurrr durr children's superhero shit exists so i guess all of film is stoopid xD

Take a look at his fingers. Take all the time you need....

Lynch is a terrible director. If you like him please leave Veeky Forums

It's fine if you're still asshurt over the Twin Peaks finale but suck it up.

The show was a mess and people who try to defend it are a joke.

It's a great show and the only people who could possibly hate it are Mark Frost loving nerds.

I would recommend Jean Claude Carrière for absolute begginers.
Arnheim manifestos for later.
This. He uses cinema as a way to expose his philosophy, but in no way he studies it as art.

go back to your containment thread

but that's just a theory

A GAME THEORY

This. He said Rosellini's War Trilogy doesn't hold up. That made my piss boil.

Great choice, user. Also make sure to pick up the DVD documentary too. 15 hours that are a perfect accompaniment and almost like a crash course in film theory, history and filmmaking.

A lot of people complain about Cousin's voice being tedious but I find it relaxing.

Start with the russians

stockholm my love is such a piece of crap can't believe the same guy who made that series made that film desu

4sjsjj

Don't bother with Andre Bazin, he's too outdated and his ideas are largely disproven.

Also lacanianism & psychoanalisys in cinema are dead (Zizek is a joke, but a fun read nonetheless).

My advice is to read the cinematic body from steven shaviro and go from there.

Sontag is jewish and a woman, the two taken together leaves the /pol/ ideologues to dismiss her work whenever she's brought up.
I'm sure there is valid criticism of her work but you won't find it so easily.

>Lynch is a terrible director.
I don't understand how you could seriously say that. Well, alright, I do know. You're a pleb.

Regardless of his other work, Mulholland Drive is still the best film of the 2000's. I don't doubt S&S and Cahiers on that.

stop pretending you care about film and just read continental philosophy

?

wtf i love criterion collection now!

is Film Art a good introduction to film analysis or can someone suggest a better alternative?

got you faem youtube.com/watch?v=PRXI__Wixas&list=PLJGOq3JclTH8J73o2Z4VMaSYZDNG3xeZ7