Can we make a better chart on writing?

Not trying to be offensive, but pic related, which is presented on the official wiki, kinda sucks monkey asshole. On Writing by Stephen King, The Elements of Style, a bunch of genre writing guides‽ What the f****. Let's make a real chart, guys. My dad knows I come here after school, and if he saw that chart he'd kick my ass and throw the key away. What are the GOOD books on writing?

>claims chart is shit
>incapable of contributing, begs others to spoonfeed him AGAIN
what a useless, useless thread

I can't believe that dictionary was chosen.

>John Gardner's Art of Fiction for a basic primer on writing prose
>Immediate Fiction for ABCs of character, conflict, etc.
>Invisible Ink by Brian McDonald to take it further (or really just start here if you already know the basic competencies of prose and storytelling)
>LeGuin's Steering the Craft for aesthetic wank
>[insert favorite grammar book]
Then just read more, and always challenge yourself in your reading and writing.

This isn't a thread for me, bud. The chart is on the freaking wiki. How embarassing for us, and I thought this was Veeky Forums not /books/. We need higher standards.

90% of the time the chart maker is just adding shit people suggest and hasn't read even half of the books themselves, that's why you get these trail mix tier lists.

Oh, I forget it'll be good to have something concerning the business side of writing regarding publishing, agents, self-pub, etc.

I recommend Joanna Penn's books and podcast for self-publishers.

I found the elements of style to be good. Didn't really teach me anything new but it did put into words what I knew but couldn't explain.

This delves more into the metaphysics of it.
But, DESU, if you can't achieve good writing from this, or not even from just reading a shit ton of books; you are lost.

Sol Steins book is unironic self-wankery, havent read the others.

Wud bout dis

I never used these books so I can't speak to them.

Either way though, I can understand OPs call for something more simple and refined. I propose a tiered system of something like this:

>Beginners (barebones of writing fiction, grammar, etc.)
>Intermediate (more indepth and philosophical craft books)
>Business (pertaining to the business side of writing, of which so many people are painfully unaware)

Kind of a weird question but I'm a native English speaker who's been out of school for a long time and I want to "re-learn" English from the ground up (like all the grammar and composition rules) so I can do some writing without making rookie mistakes all over the place.

Seems like it would be easy to find just by typing "english for beginners" into Google but everything is geared towards people learning English as a second language.

I don't need something that focuses on teaching new words/vocabulary, but are there any good books that cover all the grammar/composition rules of the English, kind of like the equivalent knowledge that K-12 public school English classes would teach students in America/Canada/UK? Or is there a place where I could find good homeschooling curriculum that would be used for K-12 English?

Trivium thread has two books in the grammar section that might help you.

These are pretty good.
Or if you find a really big "advanced English" work, like one of the Like the 'sentences book' or one of the 'advanced grammar' books.

"English Prose and Style" is great.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

>sucks monkey asshole

>f***

OP are you actually autistic or younger than 20?

DFW here, I recommend Gardner.

Any good books on copywriting?