Nobel Prize 2017

Ready for Yoko Ogawa?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2017/jun/14/its-alright-ma-im-only-cheating-did-bob-dylan-crib-his-nobel-speech-from-sparknotes
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Brace for the inevitable outrage if a white man wins.

Okay, we all know it's going to be Rupi Kaur.

we have made sure that he wont

I think we all know the (((swedish academy))) won't let that happen

it will probably be Tah Naheesi Coates

>Ta Neesi Coates
I was happy about Dylan, but the prize will be dead to me if this actually occurrs

Calling it right now

GERALD "THE MASTURBATOR" MURNANE

bob dylan will get another one

Where do I start with this fat schnittymuncher

THIS YEAR IT IS FINALLY HIS

I hope Houellebecq gets it.

ladies first, Murakami-senpai

i just realised dylan is /ourguy/

>On April 2, 2017, the Academy secretary Danius said: "Earlier today the Swedish Academy met with Bob Dylan for a private ceremony [with no media present] in Stockholm, during which Dylan received his gold medal and diploma. Twelve members of the Academy were present. Spirits were high. Champagne was had. Quite a bit of time was spent looking closely at the gold medal, in particular the beautifully crafted back, an image of a young man sitting under a laurel tree who listens to the Muse. Taken from Virgil’s Aeneid, the inscription reads: Inventas vitam iuvat excoluisse per artes, loosely translated as ”And they who bettered life on earth by their newly found mastery.”[443]

>On June 5, 2017, Dylan's Nobel Lecture was posted on the Nobel prize website. The New York Times pointed out that, in order to collect the prize’s 8 million Swedish krona ($900,000), the Swedish Academy’s rules stipulate the winner "must deliver a lecture within six months of the official ceremony, which would have made Mr. Dylan’s deadline June 10."[444] Academy secretary Danius commented: "The speech is extraordinary and, as one might expect, eloquent. Now that the lecture has been delivered, the Dylan adventure is coming to a close."[445] In his essay, Dylan writes about the impact that three important books made on him: Herman Melville's Moby Dick, Erich Maria Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front and Homer's The Odyssey. He concludes: "Our songs are alive in the land of the living. But songs are unlike literature. They’re meant to be sung, not read. The words in Shakespeare’s plays were meant to be acted on the stage. Just as lyrics in songs are meant to be sung, not read on a page. And I hope some of you get the chance to listen to these lyrics the way they were intended to be heard: in concert or on record or however people are listening to songs these days. I return once again to Homer, who says, 'Sing in me, oh Muse, and through me tell the story'."[16] Alan Pasqua provided the uncredited piano accompaniment for the recorded speech.[446]

The Plains is probably the best introduction, it's a short and light read that gives you a taste of his style.

But his real powerhouse novel is Inland, which felt like a trance to read. If you like The Plains, read this after it.

he's ourguy because he got parts of his speech from sparknotes

theguardian.com/music/shortcuts/2017/jun/14/its-alright-ma-im-only-cheating-did-bob-dylan-crib-his-nobel-speech-from-sparknotes

Will he finally get the recognition he deserves?

based

Salman Rushdie

THE DON

JK Rowling.

Not dubs

Either Roth, Murakami or McCarthy.

Maybe Pinecone?

>murrica 2 years in a row
No

Average writer at best, and boring political ideas

Still rooting for Krasznahorkai, but I don't see it happening.
Just please let a writer win this time.

Swede with connections here. About a month ago it was narrowed down to Pynchmeister or Roth. It's going to be another American this year. Screencap this.

We've been over this

Idris Elba

If the Pynch pinches it, this board will be uninhabitable for three weeks at minimum.

Thanks

Calling bullshit on Roth. The already gave it to a middle class Jewish American novelist in 1976.

I will be happy if it's pinecone, and I won't care if it's pretty much anyone else

Oprah.

It's George's year, I can feel it. He has to win it soon because I don't think he is going to be around much longer and the prize can't be awarded posthumously (that mean's after his death). It would be unthinkable for the best fantasy author and one of the best authors period, to not win literature's top prize.

I wish

It's frankly anti-Semitic if a Jewish writer doesn't win it.

Should be Murname, but more possibly:

Ngugi wa Thiong'o
Margaret Atwood (if they go with another North American this year, doubtful)
Ko Un
Nawal al Saadawi
Yan Lianke
Or possibly Magris, Adonis, or Marias.

*Murnane

It will be some fuck Drumpf author or a black woman like Atwood or Ooga booga wa Thiongo.

B E I D A O
E
I
D
A
O

>swedes
>most chicken race on earth
>trying to pronounce Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o in front of world media
won't happen

no one outside the industry cares

Who else here /team Magris/?

wow, there must a be a lot of people inside 'the industry' on Veeky Forums.org!

>Atwood
>black woman

there are many people from (((the industry))) on (((Veeky Forums)))

VOLLMANN

>vollmann
>mann
>man
no, this year is for a woman

>implying they aren't going to go full meme and give it to an author of a web comic or something

got chu covered bby

I'll buy three complete sets of Pynchon's works if he gets it.

krasznahorkai or vollmann pls

Roger Waters or Paul MCcartney tho

There are two people on the planet who want krasz to win.
You, and me.

for his treatise on cheerios

What if...

H A N D K E

Before I continue this post, reader, I must clarify to you that deep within my unfading memory there is one piece of information that I hold especially dear, and that is the fact that 2017 was The Year of The Wolfe, when all people of Urth recognized Gene Wolfe as the Conciliator of high literature and genre fiction by granting him the Nobel Prize.

It'll be some eastern European nobody has ever heard of

I thought nobel prices were for science

is this like the nobel piece price that goes to warmongers and dictators?

kundera before he croaks or kms live

>On June 5, 2017, Dylan's Nobel Lecture was posted on the Nobel prize website. The New York Times pointed out that, in order to collect the prize’s 8 million Swedish krona ($900,000), the Swedish Academy’s rules stipulate the winner "must deliver a lecture within six months of the official ceremony, which would have made Mr. Dylan’s deadline June 10.
>he got parts of his speech from sparknotes
/ourguy/ indeed

I'm with you. It makes three.

nigga krasznahorkai has been trendy and popular for years now

im not taking away from his quality but to pretend he's some unknown master that only the select few elite know about is absurd

>to pretend he's some unknown master that only the select few elite know about is absurd
who're pretending here? you?

give it to me or i'll do it

He is popular and celebrated, but not in a nobel Prize way.

Simon / Garfunkel lol
Alexeevitch
"There are some books you should read during the day (...) at night" - fucking talentless hack

>our guy will never make it
Why even live?

Pynchon is the son of James Joyce
DFW is the son of Thomas Pynchon

If manga counts then I think Jiro Taniguchi should win it. I think his works are very literary.

You idiot. Pynchon is the son of Nabokov.

he's the nephew you retarD

>fucking talentless hack
is talent really a qualification?

>manga
>not Yotsubato!

he dieded 11 february 2017

nah, too nazi

I wager every dollar I have that it will be a female author I've never heard of.

Like Bob Dylan, Patrick Modiano, Tomas Tranströmer, Mario Vargas Llosa, J. M. G. Le Clézio? You guys make this joke every year

David Foster Wallace will get it post-humorously.

Jeff will snag it.

Nabokov is his god-father

is this a copypasta

I'll never understand his Serbia meme, quite ahabesque wouldn't you say so?

Wow such an original insight

You all meant to say Paul McCartney, right?

Better, they'll announce he won the award and he'll suddenly appear alive and well, take to the stage to announce the novel he's written in hiding from our toxic ironic culture

Dude, this is not the place.

he's dead?

they will allow a posthumous award just this once

He's already 103.

Give him the fucking Nobel.

Those who wish to be published wish to serve the industry, the top five, therefore they are part of that industry, as would-be creators. What's hard here, Yoko?

That's based as fuck.

wtf do I care about a prize that gave the cold shoulder to one of my favorite authors? Does anyone even remember any of the finalists in 50 years? Joke of a prize

what a spooky gaze

I doubt it happens, yet it's the obvious choice.

>(that mean's after his death)
Nice touch.

I've only read two of his novels but I enjoyed them, does he actually have substance as an author or is he Hungarian Murakami? I've legit enjoyed his novels but his name just seems to be thrown around in the same context as Murakami does for people who want to look chic for reading a Japanese novel

>Llosa
>White
pic semi related

Does Romania has any chance to get it?