Best language besides English for lit purposes?

Best language besides English for lit purposes?

I'm thinking either French or Russian, both of which I want to eventually learn.

inb4 ancient greek to start with the greeks

bamp

German for philosophy
French for prose
Italian for poetry

Russian has a fuckton of great lit that remains untranslated or ruined by current translations, but you could probably master both French and German in the time it would take you to bring your Russian to a level that would allow you to truly appreciate it and not just get what is being said in broad strokes (provided your native isn't Slavic).

t. Russian with near-native German and B2 French

English>German>French>>>>>>>>>>everything else

Learning both german and french as a native english speaker is pretty great. You get both the germanic and latin vocabulary to add to your english

How is Japanese lit? I want to learn French and German but they're such normie tier languages. Everybody learns them. I want to learn at least one lesser known one, probably a non-indo European language.

old english

Shed your teenage autism ASAP and learn something more useful and time efficient. Thank me later.

Eh you're probably right in general. But I still want to learn Japanese

>spend months learning old English
>read Beowulf
>that's it

Norwegian literature is underlooked. If you haven't already, you should check out Hamsun, Bjornstjerne Bjornson, Henrik Ibsen and so on. There's also Karl Ove Knausgård, Jo Nesbo, Edvard Hoem and Åsne Seierstad if you're looking for contemporary stuff

>not latin

OP here, I'm actually learning Norwegian now coincidentally

>TFW Russian is hard as fuck to learn.

Is it impossible to read and speak Russian as an angle lads? I feel like my accent will never allow me to speak Russian without being unintelligible or laughed at. I feel the same with French; i'm almost fluent at reading it but I sound like a sperg trying to speak it out loud.

French hands down

>they're such normie tier languages. Everybody learns them
Hmmm you think there might be a reason for that?

Learn French, then speedrun through Italian since its so similar to French. Once you master both go for either German, or if you are a real nigga go with Russia since there's so much untranslated Russian books and content westerners can't access. Russian is also probably a great choice since they're so relevant in geopolitics and world affairs. You could put your Russian skills to use to hear what those Russian bastards are up to.

pronunciation needs to be something that's practiced just as much as any part of the language, if not more and sooner than anything else

I'd like you to know that it's poor form to inb4 as OP.

Latin and Greek

Is it ever worth it as an anglo to attempt something like Korean or Japanese? I've gotten good enough at French to read simple novels like Camus and am passable at speaking if it's not a Parisian talking at full speed but I honestly don't know if it's possible for somebody to get to the point that they could truly, completely understand a culture so alien.
I was considering Mandarin until I read that /int/ screencap about the guy who spoke Mandarin and worked in the Chinese steel industry.

Fanatastic! Try to find other norwegian friends who are interested in literature and stuff. Us norwegians really want others to learn our language so do not be afraid to try communicate with us using our own language.

Get your head out of your ass. You don't really want to learn Japanese. It just sounds cool to say "yeah im learning japanese". Nobody except for your grandma and your younger cousin gives a shit. Learn French or German.

kek

>I was considering Mandarin until I read that /int/ screencap

What was it and why did it turn you off it

If you go solely by reading experience; german
Since french is easier to translate to english whereas with a lot of german works much is lost in translation
French is easier to learn tho
Just learn both languages eventually
There is always russian but I can tell you from experience its hard as fuck
T. Speak english french and german

Learning a new language for prose is ridiculous, for philosophy - German and ancient Greek, for poetry - Latin, French, maybe Italian but just renessaince tier so I wouldn't really bother unless you have a liking for the language. Slavic languages are too hard for you, sorry but you will never experience the joy.

Persian for poetry.

Yeah I tried learning Russian. Easy peasy to read because the spelling is logic unlike English. But Russian grammar is retarded and the language is very 'complete' meaning there are a lot more words you have to learn to read the basic language, similar issue exists with arabic

Recommend me some poetry

Persian has some of the best poetry according to a lot of polygots. The language has barely changes in the last 1000 years so you can also read some old stuff in much of their original form, and they really venerate their poets.

Here. Knowing a couple of the hundreds of chinese international students at my school (or as much as one can know them, they refuse to socialize with anybody who doesn't natively speak their language) makes me think this is real desu.

>Italian Poetry
>Just renaissance tier
?????¿¿¿¿¿B

Learn Chinese.

Fuck chinese, shit pseudo-communist country with shit art and media. What are you ever going to use Chinese to read other than an instruction manual on how to assemble an iphone or an advisory telling you not to commit suicide while doing so

Capatilism is for Jews and communism is for snake reptilian back stabbing asians.

lmao look at this delusional west swedish nigga
op learn Icelandic, the clearly superior Scandinavian language