My father unironically refuses to read anything, that's written by a woman. Is he wrong?

My father unironically refuses to read anything, that's written by a woman. Is he wrong?

Is "unironically" the new "literally"?

It's his eyeballs and his brain. He can do what he wants with them.

Are you wrong for doubting and judging your father? Think on that one senpai.

>Is he wrong?
I don't know, but he probably is fucking stupid for it.

He's wrong. He's not losing much, but he's still losing, which makes him wrong.

No, I'm just saying, that normally when people say something, that is so discriminating, it's usually loaded with sarcasm
However, I can confirm, that in this case, he is not joking.

user.. easy on the commas

e,a,t,,,p,a,n,t

Yes
never judge a book by its cover

but isn't that what everyone does when they go to the library?

they don't check out every book they see, they pick one from the rest not for its contents but because of how the surface text and image appealed to them.

ofc not. nothing of discernible value was ever created by women.

He is right.

Females haven't written anything worthwhile to deviate from reading male writers. Maybe 1% of the Canon is female, and they're added because we only compare females to each other rather than to males, so it's like praising the dog for fetching the ball. When Bloom talks about the greatest of the Greats, no mention of any female. Look at thegreatestbooks.org. Jane Austen is #16, even with the hysteria of having to be diverse or else. I'm not saying females are bad, but there's no reason to read them because the males who are all better will last a lifetime.

He is wrong but the "few female authors of note" meme is pretty true imo

Willa Cather
Jane Austen
Sigrid Undset
Mary Shelley maybe
Sappho
Sylvia Plath of course
George Eliot
Toni Morrison Song of Solomon,
fuck Beloved
Otessa Moshfegh and Elena Ferrante are p. good contemporary.

There are plenty of good non-fiction works by women but that doesnt really count. Barbara Tuchman, CV Wedgwood, Elaine Pagels are some of my favorite.

That includes op

Huge miss here. Flannery O'Connor.

Not a fan, I tried tho.

Also I missed which was much more egregious.

Missed both Brontes

No. The only female-written books an adult male should be reading are about wizards and bunny rabbits to his children.

Seems so. And not that it matters now, but it should be nonironically.

I've learned to avoid authors from the American South, male or female.

You forgot Dickinson

Statistically, no. Most works written by women are absolute shite. But there are outlier cases, which he should be willing to accommodate for.

We'll by necessity. If he never reads something by a woman how can he know nothing of a woman is worth reading

Pretty much this

Imagine someone doing it the otherway around, reading only women. That tells you enough.

No, not at all. Women can be great writers, there’s no denying that – from Sappho to Austen – but they have nothing of value to say. Not matter how well they say it. At least nothing a man hasn’t already said more beautifully, succinctly or accurately. How many great philosophical works has the female sex produced? Nought. Their thoughts are shallow, mundane and self-centred. Maybe other women can find value in their ramblings on the patriarchy but for men: indifference to their works is best.

>who is ayn rand

Why?

>ayn rand
but said "nothing of value", user.

While, on the whole, female writers haven't produced nearly as much worthwhile content as their male counterparts, there are still a few who are worth reading and I think your father is doing himself a disservice to avoid them entirely. Virginia Woolf, for instance.

Yeah people who believe all women do is "ramblings on the patriarchy" are clearly capable of reasoned evaluation of literary value.

If you apply any objective standart you will find female works despite their historical disadvantage in virtual all fields. Even some of the doctors of the church are women.
Hannah Arendt, Austen, etc. if you discard female works just to feel edgy when greentexting on Veeky Forums you only look retarded and uneducated because well you are. Just know you achieve nothing but showing your overcompensation.

>t. woman

This. You can tell by how emotional she is getting.

I nonironically can't remember a single book I've read by a woman that's really impressed me if I'm being honest. There's plenty out there who can tell a good story, but I've never come across one who I read and then put the book down and think "Wow, what a fucking great piece of literature". Happy to be proved wrong if anyone knows of any really good female authors, just my experience so far.

Also this:
>Just know you achieve nothing but showing your overcompensation.
Why is alluding to the size of a man's genitals the best insult women can ever come up with?

Why did you put a comma there? Makes it seem so Germanic.

you must be a v-virgin!

women do short stories well, poetry too.

woolf, eliot, austen, i'm not coming up with many impressive female novelists. an even smaller impact on the theatre.

im underread though

personally I dont read anything written by non-jews
but that's just me. he can have preferences.

>hannah arendt, jane austen, the list goes on...

The only female writer I ever liked was Evelyn Waugh. The rest of them were pure cancer.

No but he clearly did a bad job and ended up raising a faggot

I would agree but Annie Proulx is worth reading. She kind of writes like a man and manages to be droll without channelling feminism.

>be 20yo biracial bisexual unemployed self educated
>browsing local B&N fiction section
>pick random paperback
>flip past black and white photo of author
>flip past praise thats is so vague and ineffective that i have to read it twice to make sure i didnt have a stroke
>flip past single page with (1) on it
>read first line that begins two thirds of the way down the page
>...
>put book back and learn lesson to always judge a literal book by its cover

He isnt right op, but he sure as hell isnt wrong.

Yes, he is. Flannery o'connor is probably the best american short story author ever, which is not much, but she is a great w

>calling someone other than Raymond Carver the best American short story writer

Full pleb.