380 pages into this book and imo it's about as good as Amara's Rose. Trash writing, meme characters...

380 pages into this book and imo it's about as good as Amara's Rose. Trash writing, meme characters, italicizing internal monologue and then adding "(s)he thought," meme trash gimmicks like 'Buddislam' and ''thopters.'' Is it worth finishing this genre fiction masterpiece?

user.....easy on the memes.

It's sad that Dune fanboys like op are so fixated on it that they're willing to draw negative attention to their love just so stays relevant in the minds of Veeky Forums. Better to inspire hatred than be forgotten.

>italicizing internal monologue and then adding "(s)he thought,"
This annoyed the hell out of me even back when I read it at age 12 or 13.

nobody's ever actually read this book

people just talk about it and claim they did

Welcome to Veeky Forums

>as good as Amara's Rose
so you're saying it's amazing?

I'm dead serious this book has me closer to suicide than I've ever been. "The greatest sci fi book of all time" "a masterpiece" "culturally relevant." It's no better than Harry Potter or Brianna Goux. At least she has an excuse that she's 19

>book has me closer to suicide than I've ever been
That's how you know it's working.

I read this book, and the two after it
They were breddy gud, definitely stronger as a package

>I'm dead serious
>It's no better than Harry Potter

Pick one.

>I'm dead serious this book has me closer to suicide than I've ever been.
Hopefully you'll read the sequel

Are you really implying that Dune is no better than one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

>this book has me closer to suicide than I've ever been.

First time that Dune hasn't deliver. Just kys.

It's a good book, lots of fanboys behind it because it's original and was unique in it's time; doesn't mean it's not a good book.

maybe you just something something rick and morty IQ copypasta.

>reading frank's books

You're reading the wrong Dune books. You pass over Frank's so you can get to the good stuff that his son wrote

I've read it and I agree with everything OP said. Not really a high watermark for sci fi.

I've started Dune about 5 or 6 times now and gave up after a few chapters each time. what's wrong with this book or is it just me?

read about half of it when I first bought it five or six years ago and couldn't finish it. thought it was terribly written.
started reading it a couple of weeks ago and found myself enjoying it, even after the halfway mark when I threw it away last time. pleasantly surprised. that said, it does have its problems (the she said thing and sometimes the prose sounds clunky to me, although I'm an exlusively non-literature reader so it's not like I'd even know what good prose is)
not interested in the sequels, just skimmed the wiki summaries so I know what happens.

It's a pretty dense book that should be read at least twice. Frank Herbert wasn't the most elegant writer, but his thoughts on ecology and political games were good.

I recommend reading Soul Catcher.

OP here, just wanted to point out that I initially became interested in Dune due to girardfag (rip) yapping about how the 'spice must flow.' I was bamboozled by girardfag's intellectual patina. Glad I didn't start playing Alpha Centauri too.

It's fairly interesting, Frank Herbert is a good writer.

> searching for (you's)

I have read it as well.

This.

I read it.
It was a fun.
Hebert was no dummy when it came to politics, lot of interesting thoughts.
My gut says OP is an entitled millennial whose life primarily consists of whining and moaning.

what sequels do i read? i heard one of them is better than the first

it gets good about 100 pages in

Dune is unironically too deep for todays common readers.

>'Buddislam'
Not only did you not read the book, but let me guess, you wank over Gene Wolfe for being a Catholic?

He literally wrote the New Testament again! xD
CHRISTIAN SCIFI

tfw you read BOTNS before it became a meme on Veeky Forums

its so weird seeing all the fanboys

how would you phrase internal monologues then?

you either italicize them and through that it is clear they're internal monologues, or you don't italicize them and add "she thought" at the end of the thought
he did both

Ah, I see. It does sound awkward when you put it that way. Would it be acceptable if there were many characters in the scene then? So that adding that marked clearly who was thinking what

I can't remember seeing someone write multiple points of view at the same time, ever
so the question is moot

STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS LIKE INTELLIGENT PEOPLE DO IT

there's the pasta

The original is better.

Is there a book more controversial in how anti-entry level it is than Dune?

It really clicked for me the eighth time I read it, so no, it's clearly not intended for a bunch of simpletons. He was shocked by its success.

Sad part: this is the Yardstick of SF. According to read and sales this is a 5\5. But as adventures go it beats "Stranger," the other 5\5 ruler. one is man goes to town the other is man comes to town.

>But as adventures go it beats "Stranger," the other 5\5 ruler.
this is stranger in a strange land or something else