Selected:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21326.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21331.jpg
General:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries (incomplete, mostly pre-Millenium):
>greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previously on 'Faux Misogyny and Forced Memes':

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/34063396-the-heartstone-saga)
sendspace.com/file/t23u3t
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anything worth getting, apart from Yukikaze and LoGH?

What are good Sword and Sorcery/Sword and Planet short stories or books

Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser

Is it worth reading?

What's in the rest of that chart?

Pretty lame actually. The aliens are uninspired and Turtledove has a peculiar gift for making his characters boring.

Zzzzz.

Oh well, I'll have to get my first contact jollies somewhere else.

>crossboarding /pol/shits coming out of the woodworks because of the Nobel Prizes
Predictable

Come on, man. It's on the OP.

Thune's Vision

Please leave, tumblr.

I recommend Blindsight.

I recommend therapy.

>vampires in space!

>vampires in space!
Pulp as fuck.

(You) are the tumblr.

been actually looking for good book that involve modern people traveling to alternate worlds etc.
but there doesnt seem to be any really good ones.
theres the daniel black series which is soon getting a new book. but those are really centered around worldbuilding which is nice but you can notice the author isnt very experienced.
then theres the darklord but those books are really really grim and may not be everyones cup of tea, werent mine.
i tired the builders sword but that seemed to be a kinda litrpg thing that wasnt well exectuted.
obviously theres dark tower but that kinda got ruined for me by the movie because eveyone i talk to never read the books but only saw the movie.
currently im looking reading spellsinger and schooled in magic which seem promising.
honestly id welcome more "isekai" books because there arent any good ones and for all the flood of shit that would come id wager thered be a handful of gems that will turn up.
overall i think it be worth the new influx of authors.

fuck my grammar.
apologies, its like 5 am and i should be going to work.

>paying for a pdf

P8c related.
Starfire by Bv Larson

>Modern (well technically more advanced than current earth) person going to ANOTHER WORLD (not alternate) technologically not advanced
Hard to be a God (Strugatskys): Undercover operative from a advanced version of Earth goes to a world that is technologically behind.

Prisoners of Power is also good but the translation reads so terribly ;_;

>Modern person going into a fantasy world
The Chronicles of Amber by Zelazny
The Fionavar Tapestry → note that I have not and will not read this because I believe that it sounds like the worst isekai ever with medical students and law students - really? GGK's Tigana was really good

thanks ill look into those.
right now im planning on reading empath rising(goodreads.com/book/show/34063396-the-heartstone-saga) because the premise sounds cute and after that im trying either spellsinger or schooled in magic. ill make a note of your suggesitions though.

gotta note though since this seems to be an indie book its hard to get a hold of the pdf.

Not that user: honestly every indie book I've tried to read is shit and the summary for that book looks utterly retarded/fanfic tier but if you followed my chart it's on mobilism.

I finished all of Way of the Shaman
Not bad, some books got repetitive but I was really engrossed, especially by book six

Now there's nothing more to read

i know im just a sucker for love stories.
i actually prefer less erotica and more, err, vanilla romance but both seem to come hand in hand when it comes to books.
i know the premise seams simple but a few friends that read it told me it caught them completely off guard and seems to be well written so im willing to take a look.

completely forgot about mobilism. i had an account once but fake email addresses got purged some time ago. i usually just go to audiobook bay for audiobooks or use qbittorents built in torrent search for pdfs or other things and just pick whatever has the most seeds.
it is very hard to find indie books on open trackers though. thanks.

welp not that it matters the pdf from mobilism is infected.
now i remember why i dont visit that place anymore.

>infected
No. The pdf is not infected the fact is you tried to download an exe or some shit. Use jdownloader.

It's also not a pdf it's an epub

you know what i mean god damn it
I LITERALLY USE JD AND CHROME TO CONFIRM
extraction failed cause windows defend threw a hissyfit chrome didnt even want to save the archive.

tried both links obviously.

sendspace.com/file/t23u3t

i dunno man. if both crome and windows defender throw hissyfits its a red flag im my head.
however i tired
which works fine with no warnings.
thanks for that.

i assume the infection is not in the pdf but the archive itself.
that being said i dont know why it warns me but doesnt seem to warn you guys. especially since i tried both links in jdownloader and chrome.
obviously i have an ublock on.

>Book got 3 stars on Amazon

Wew, I can tell this is going to be a rollercoaster ride of disappointment.

Return to Nevèrÿon
Adventures of Alyx

>WARNING: This is a work of erotic fantasy, there is nudity, swearing, a bit of violence, and plenty of naughty sex between man (and woman) and monster girl/girls.

the fuck is wrong with u people

welcome to commercial fiction

Which one should I pick up to become a true patrician in all things fantasy. I've read most of the essentials prior.
Book of the New Sun or Malazan?

Lord Dunsany

>Return to Nevèrÿon
>recommending the Hogg man to someone
Shame on you

>authors today have to give a trigger warning that spoils the book

Are the John Dies at the End books any good?
I saw that the third one came up on one of the sites I get my ebooks from, so I looked for the synopses of the first two and they seem pretty interesting. On the other hand they're by a Cracked editor and that has fallen to shit. On the third hand the first two books are somewhat old, maybe from when Cracked wasn't shit.

So, anyone read those, are they any good?

This looks like fanfiction shit that /mgg/ over at /jp/ would write.

This is utter shit

Non-space near future scifi, recently published. Something like Rainbows End but with a better story.

SALLY FEEDS FAMILY GRAPES

>what do you mean "series cancelled due to low sales"? I want to pirate Yukikaze 3!

>a genre defining series by a true master where every word is a pleasure to read
>never ending "epic" fantasy series where even the fans of the series admit that the first book is something you have to force yourself through to get to the good stuff
What do you think?

This has probably been talked to death by various different communities, but I'm looking for some input.
Should I read Children of Hurin before or after Silmarillion?

"epic" fantasy where the only "epic" part is that there is an extra 200 useless fucking characters, and we need to read the story from 10 different points of view

After

>hitler
no
stay away lest you become another /pol/tard.

They're dumb as shit but they're fun.

I've heard God Emperor of Dune is where it's at and have read Dune. Can I get away with skipping Messiah and Children?

yes
unless you want to see a children becoming a huge immortal worm

>children becoming a small immortal pickle
ftfy

all hail the god emperor pickles

This might be kind of weirdly specific but could anyone recommend me some strange and bizarre science fiction? Something like Childhoods end or Dune? I know my taste is pleb-teir but I like really weird and interesting stuff.

Star Maker

Good enough. Thanks.

HP Lovecraft's sci-fi stories e.g. The Colour Out Of Space, The Shadow Out Of Time. Clark Ashton Smith's martian SF e.g, The Vaults Of Yoh-Vombis. Some of Philip K Dick's stuff is bizzare but more for psychological and philosophical reasons, false memories, alternate realities, mental illnesses, The Electric Ant is a good example.

JG Ballard is weird but somebody like PKD is a better and more gradual introduction to new wave SF.

I love, venerate and collect strange/bizarre shit. In order of what I enjoyed the most
Phillip K. Dick - especially Three Stigmata, Ubik, Martian Time Slip
Strugatskys (Amazing authors) - Roadside Picnic, the Time Wanderers, The Doomed City, Beetle in an Anthill (terrible translation, amazing story)
Hyperion Cantos - Priest's Tale. Man...
Fforde's Shades of Grey
The ending of Foundation and Earth. There are some really chilling moments in the Foundation series towards the end.
Solaris by Lem
Blindopraxia

Some of Bradbury's Martian Chronicles. That fucking ending...

Anime - The End of Evangelion, Darker than Black (s1 and ova only - the setting is an altered version of Roadside Picnic), Shinsekai Yori has some uncomfortably disconcerting scenes
Nice.

* by nice, I mean that I am looking to pump this list for books until only dregs remain

Opinions on the Foundation series?
I read the first one a few years ago and remember enjoying it
Just started the second one

You ought to look at Robert silverberg. He is if pkd passed college, stayed off drugs and bad marriages. His subjects and ideas have a big overlap while keeping the experimental new wave feel. Recommend dying inside, downward to earth, tom o bedlam.

Did anyone watch Electric dreams? It's a tv series with standalone episodes bades on Philip K. Dick's short stories.

These all sound great! Thanks Veeky Forums!

overhated

Ubik is an incredible, bizarre, book.

Do anyone know of a book about fate and how the protagonist struggle against it(he can give up and follow his destiny or can fight till the end eventually overcoming his fate, i dont care)?

>Darker than Black (s1 and ova only - the setting is an altered version of Roadside Picnic)
Explain? Roadside is one of my favorite novels to date.

Several "zones" appear throughout the world where strange things happen. At the same time a bunch of people start manifesting strange powers. They're termed "contractors" because every time they use their power they have a compulsion to perform some kind of idiosyncratic action as if it were a sort of payment. It can be anything from eating something, to smoking, to writing a poem, up to, in the case of one unfortunate woman, murdering a child. At the same time other people turn into "dolls', they become borderline catatonic, but can project their consciousness through physical materials. Water, cement, metal, glass etc.

The first season is really slow and pretty lame until about two thirds of the way through though. Some people hate S2 but I like it better than the first.

Having read RP and having watched DtB I have no idea what he means. If anything, DtB is closer to Eugenio Loboe.

S2>S1 for sure. His relationship with Shin is what holds the series together.

wew
this is a hot grill

No.

Why did my eyes water and something prod my heart and a wave of shivery tingles run down from my head when I read about aule creating the first dwarves, orome discovering the firstborn and when fingon rescued maedhros with the help of thronodor the eagle with a 180ft wingspan?

>implying Abe & Isaac reenacted with dwarves is better than this
"At that sound the bent shape of the king sprang suddenly erect. Tall and proud he seemed again; and rising in his stirrups he cried in a loud voice, more clear than any there had ever heard a mortal man achieve before:

"Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!"

With that he seized a great horn from Guthláf his banner-bearer, and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straightway all the horns in the host were lifted up in music, and the blowing of the horns of Rohan in that hour was like a storm upon the plain and a thunder in the mountains.

"Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!"

Or my personal favorite, the /r9k/ death charge:

"Then suddenly he beheld his sister Éowyn as she lay, and he knew her. He stood a moment as a man who is pierced in the midst of a cry by an arrow through the heart; and then his face went deathly white, and a cold fury rose in him, so that all speech failed him for a while. A fey mood took him.
‘Éowyn, Éowyn!’ he cried at last. ‘Éowyn, how come you here? What madness or devilry is this? Death, death, death! Death take us all!’
Then without taking counsel or waiting for the approach of the men of the City, he spurred headlong back to the front of the great host, and blew a horn, and cried aloud for the onset. Over the field rang his clear voice calling: ‘Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world’s ending!’
And with that the host began to move. But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards."

tfw you're reading a scifi expecting the force the protag is fighting for to turn out to be the villains because it's so stupid but it turns out that it's actually just what the author believes in

The people who write libertarian military scifi are weird lol

Recently finished the first one and while I generally liked the idea and setting, the ending left me dissatisfied. I could forgive the science stuff being a bit unbelievable but the book just kinda stopped.

I suppose my main criticism, even though it may have been intentional, would be that I didn't care for any of the characters. They each felt like pawns to the overall scheme, devoid of personality.

Just started reading these the other day and while I can appreciate the influence they had on later work, they have not aged very well at all.

To the winner - the spoils.

I just got the first book of "the once and future king" and it was going well until the meeting with Merlin
Basically Merlin reads into the future and he has guns, marmalade, potatoes and a lot of futuristic stuff in his home
what the absolute fuck, I was hoping to actually learn about Arthurian legends and this is looking like a horrible (well written) fanfic. Do these novels tell the actual legends and tales or have I've been memed into a stupid invention of the author?

He has published a fantasy book. If you ask a question about the book, his book, the author will NOT respond, instead some anonymous person will answer that you cannot verify to be the author.

>posting the good cover
i'm not touching this book. the cover already states it's quality.

Super specific but anyone got any recs about disgraced protags gradually returning to power/status

Stormlight sorta has it with Kaladin and Vorkosigan kinda does it early on but I can't think of much else.
Think it'd be more interesting to read than the usual scrub to god stuff

>actual breast moulds on a breastplate
>six pack
>thinking I believe you are female

So basically what you want is a pauper Prince rising back to power after some hard times?

Yeah or disgraced soldier/wizard/whatever

so, friends. friday's good.

>mfw I have to wait a year for Oathbringer to be release in paperback format because I hate hardcovers and got the first two in paperback.

Should I read Mistborn?

you want the actual Le Morte d'Arthur

Best Served Cold by Abercrombie
The Conqueror's Shadow by Ari Marmell fits the request but I found it to be shit, unfortunately

its allright. be sure to read the transitions between the books. theyre mostly catchup but have some interesting things in them.

No.
Sanderson is a complete waste of time.

Haven't you seen the Sword and the Stone?