Why did he win again?

Why did he win again?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/bobdylan/comments/1374k9/i_am_julien_levy_son_of_jacques_levy_lyricist/
youtube.com/watch?v=6TlcPRlau2Q
youtube.com/watch?v=8vcOvPnl7wE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because he's a Jew, moron.

Because the Nobel isn't purely about literary merits but about literary contribution, and his literary contribution to music is pretty much unparalleled. There has been another great lyricists, of course, but none of them has been nearly as influential as him. Still a very unorthodox prize, though.

There is no reason for not giving it to Pynchon, he's objectively the greatest living writer (and I fucking hate all of his books except TCoL49)

Don't know user, "Wiggle wiggle like a bowl of soup/Wiggle wiggle like a rolling hoop" sounds very profound

Pynchon is trash.

I'm gonna go to my grave pissed that Bob Dylan got a Nobel before Leonard Cohen did.

if anything the guy from silver jews should get this kind of award

his shit is tight

It has been corrupted since the fall of the British Empire

Comparing both is retarded, "jewish man with guitar" is not a musical style. I like both but Dylan is vastly more influential than Cohen, like it or not.

Because the nobel prize has lost all it's prestige and legitimacy. They gave a Peace prize to Obama for fucks sake. Not to mention Bob Dylan getting a literature prize when he hasn't published anything more than mediocre poetry and a cash grab memoir. Fifty cent is ten times as worthy as Bob "Ashkenazi" Dylan since fifty at least wrote a few novels. It's all one big politicized circlejerk. A bunch of no name swedish faggots fingering each other's tiny dicks and congratulating themselves on their supreme intellect. It's just a farce at this point.

Should have given it to Rushdie

Cohen's lyrics have a significantly higher degree of literary merit, which is what the Nobel Prize in Literature is supposed to reward. A writer's degree of influence is irrelevant.

Mainly he won it for Hendrix's guitar solo on "There Must Be Some Kind of Way Out of Here's"

I'm not sure if you're baiting or not. Literary merit has always been secondy. Just look at the list of winners.

>secondary*

this guy made bad music. anyone who says otherwise is lying.

I just finished the segment in GR about Pokler, and that's just one if the many reasons that I know you are fucking wrong.

"You ever wonder why Jewish people own all the property in America?"
- Jay-Z
Even blackers dislike jews, lol

That whole section is my favourite piece of literature ever. It's so fucking good.

He wrote that album for his grand daughter

>thinking Dylan is a jewish name

>leonard cohen
>not being embarrassed
cringe

>Bob Dylan was born Robert Allen Zimmerman
>Dylan's father, Abram Zimmerman – an electric-appliance shop owner – and mother, Beatrice "Beatty" Stone, were part of a small, close-knit Jewish community.
Anti-goyim shill BTFO.

Yeah, it was the best thing I've read in a long time. Every paragraph just had so much food for thought and simultaneously threw such a gripping story as well. It really was awesome, just when I was beginning to drag through. Part three in general has re-engaged me a lot, it's my favourite so far.

How do I stop people from calling me a cuck because Dylan won? They say literature itself was cucked out of its own award.

The world doesn't orbit around the USA user.

Defend it. You won't be a cuck then, just an idiot.

Hey guys I want to check out the nobel prize winner Dylan, what should I read from him first?

I think there's some cool cover art on some old records somewhere with some p s y c H e d e l I c fonts and stuff on them or something, user! Make sure to set aside some good time to really absorb the themes he explores as well, like "let's all be equal" and "screw the man" and "the destruction of things is bad" and stuff user.

Jokes aside, Isis is probably the best song ever written, but it's still not literature.

To use controversy and a pop culture reference to remind people that the novel prizes exist.

You're not a cuck if you don't enjoy it.

Definitely did not make bad music in the 60s he was at his peak.

I don't know if there's another section that tops that one, it's just perfect. When I reread the novel i read that part twice, and I will regularly pick the book up and read passages from that section. The only one that comes close that I can think of off the top of my head is the chapter that starts with the quote "I put a lot of people in he'll today, mother." or something like that. That part seems flawless to me as well. Such a genuinely great novel.

>How do I stop people from calling me a cuck
Maybe stop talking with morons?

Lel

confusion over prose, verse, and lyric

>Isis
My nigger

How do you feel about the mixing of intellectual culture with pop culture?

Why didn't he win?

His soup didn't wiggle like a rolling hoop

I see this argument (and similar ones) often, but I think it is tied to the whole "contemporary literature sucks" argument. Look at who won during his great years. Contemporary literature always sucks insofar as it is marked out by the intellectual circles. But that doesnt mean great works are being written.

pic related of course

*arent

Twas just bantz. Wästberg (spellchecker suggests Strindberg kek) is a /mu/ trip. Ask Flashback if you don't believe me.

underrated

t. cuck

You're a cuck. Are you going to leave Veeky Forums now?

Someday I will write the definitive essay on why Dylan is not a great poet, not even an average one. I will post it here. Maybe in a year to two. I will need at least some 30 pages to explore the subject and prove my point.

Dylan is American.

Gravity's Rainbow turns Gentiles onto the Kabbalah. He's never getting a Nobel.

- Jewish
- has the correct political views
- Prize committee is made up of boomers i.e. perpetual children constantly trying to relive their youth
- makes for a attention grabbing stunt in a world turning away from reading

They gave it to him AGAIN?!

>Someday I will write the definitive essay on why Dylan is not a great poet, not even an average one.

lol, of course he's not a poet dummy! hes a lyricist, lyrics are literature remember tee hee

Plan for my essay:

1. Talk about Dylan's fame and the claims in favor of his status as a poet, thus proving the usefulness of my essay;
2. Quote some Dylan lyrics and say what's good in them, applying some of the best-known criteria for aesthetic judgement developed by such well-established critics as Horace and Pound;
3. Quote some poems by contemporary poets, including average ones, and compare them to Dylan's best loved lyrics - also quote Leonard Cohen, Ingmar Bergman and libretti writers;
4. Tell exactly why the average poets, Leonard Cohen, libretti writers, script-writers etc. are better than Dylan.
5. Talk about Dylan more generally, exposing how much of a fake he is, how poor his 'mastery' of the English language, and what the Nobel Committee's choice means for literature in general.

When will people realize the Nobels are a sad joke?

>25% of world economy
>most powerful military
>europe is an American protectorate/colony
Unironically it does.

"To the black folks he was just a crazy nigger. No one doubted that he pulled the trigger."

But did he write that?

>"Hurricane" is a protest song by Bob Dylan co-written with Jacques Levy, about the imprisonment of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter. It compiles alleged acts of racism and profiling against Carter,[1] which Dylan describes as leading to a false trial and conviction.

Now this:

reddit.com/r/bobdylan/comments/1374k9/i_am_julien_levy_son_of_jacques_levy_lyricist/

''Like with all the other songs, my dad wrote the lyrics.

He was already dead by the time Julia and I were gonna play it, it wouldv'e been more for my mom.

Julia and I were gonna harmonize the whole thing. Me on guitar and whistling, her on the ukelele.

I don't know who the special lady is, I think it's probably his wife, Sara. I couldn't tell you.''

15 million other Jews haven't won.

More specifically, hundreds of other prominent Jewish writers (and singers in Dylan's case) are not Nobel Laureates in Literature.

I love Dylan, but I would like to read this essay anyway if you do end up writing it because I've found very few commentaries on his oeuvre . However, I do want you to consider the following points:

Like I (ironically) said in my previous post, he is a lyricist, so complexity is not always in his favour. You have to be able to keep up with the vocalist as he is singing, which is where I find trouble with Cohen. Cohen's lyrics are better suited to the page, but they are still only competently formed verses. It's sort of a jack of both trades situation, whereas Dylan is very mindful of his audience's presence. I feel Dylan also uses imagery to better communicate a story, while Cohen, especially in Songs of Love and Hate, throws everything at the wall to see what sticks.

I'm not sure why you would even bring screenwriters into the discussion. Dylan's not a playwright after all. He adheres to completely different artistic principles. On another note, I can think of a few screenwriters with a fighting chance for the prize, though if I name names I will be forced to deflect ridicule and I'm too tired for that atm.

Also, I have a strong suspicion pure 'aesthetic' merit is mostly meaningless to the Swedish Academy. That sort of judgement call is relative to the writer's language, so they tend to hone in on universal values. That's why I think Pynchon, McCarthy and Roth, the perennial American favourites, won't ever be recognized by the award (I'm still holding out for DeLillo, who I think occupies a league of his own). Anyway, take from that what you will. I would still like to read a purely aesthetic analysis of Dylan's lyrics, but you're missing the point of the Nobel prize if you think that comes into play all that significantly.

>25% of world economy
stopped reading there, I assume the rest of your post continues to prove yourself wrong

are you trying to say he didn't deserve it?

>oeuvre
WHY IS THIS SITE SUDDENLY USING THIS WORD SO MUCH SINCE THE FUCKING NOBEL THIS WEEK?

Pynchon doesn't exist, get over it.

Is he next?

He was a poet.

>implying 2018 won't be Moz's year

Whoops

my man

>implying his cancer won't have killed him by then

Bob Dylan got it for bringing his poetry to millions. He is the bigger name

You're supposed to be impressed by their genius thinking of awarding it to a musician instead of a writer.
It's just more transgressive category destruction B.S.

>2015 - Svetlana Alexievich
>2012 - Mo Yan
>2011 - Tomas Tranströmer
>2009 - Herta Müller
>2008 - J. M. G. Le Clézio

Gee you're right. What budding or contemporary writer hasn't been inspired by the staggering influence and legacy of writers like Naguib Mahfouz and Ivo Andrić? That's a swell point indeed.

Which genuinely should not matter if you are on the Nobel Committee. Sphere of influence or public awareness should be secondary to the literature itself. Otherwise you're rewarding image over substance which makes the whole thing moot.

the Nobel is retarded, but Dylan was a fucking genius, I mean he was the only figure in the entire century that properly merged high and low culture, just as high culture stopped existing.

"high and low culture". You're a fucking pretentious idiot.

Intellectual culture and pop culture are proper terms for this in sociology tho. Intellectual culture is dying, the common man wants to have a say in everything, hence the attempts to establish that masses have a right to determine if science is right or wrong.

Escrement

underrated post

wish I was a big headed jew

Intellectual culture is dying because we've grown so afraid to be called elitists that a lot of potential great artists settle down for relatable mediocrity. The only problem with the ivory tower is that it wasn't tall or shiny enough.

Because a pack of eurotrash thought some nasal shitkicker who doesn't remember the lyrics to his own shit songs needed a little pat on the dick

Bob Dylan won because he is better than Tolstoy, Proust and Mark Twain (who never won it) LMAO
Yeah! Bob Dylan, man! Wooo! '60s! Fight the power!

Rushdie's an irritating smart arse. No one actually reads his work.

That's just ignorant. Call him a smart arse if you will but he is one if the most read literary fiction authors alive today so saying that nobody reads him is absurd

he only won once

Because reading is HARD

Just tell them the thruth: you hate literature

nobel prize for music

youtube.com/watch?v=6TlcPRlau2Q

This, plus the added bonus of undermining and subverting something gets Jews hard.
> Ooff why can't a song be a book goy?

Next year Ariana grande could win for a tweet, why not?

You are actually both retarded and merit nor impact is important

youtube.com/watch?v=8vcOvPnl7wE

Joanna Newsom is the most poetic lyricist alive.

who cares

Ironically, this is how many reviewers describes Pynchon's work.

>The Nobel Prize is literature in itself
WTF