Do you track what you've read?

Do you track what you've read?

yes, on Goodreads.

Yes, I buy physical books.

goodreads

goodreads, but writing down all the pages you read/day doesnt sound to bad. Gives you a good view of your reading over a period of time.

Also Goodreads. I don't like it much but don't know of a better site. I like that I can sort my reading list by rating and pick one of the better ones first, but disagree strongly with the ratings.

I use my mind.

I have for over 10 years. In a small notebook I write the date of completion, the title, the author. Just randomly selected May 2013
5\1 Critique of Cynical Reason. Sloterdijk
5\4 Adventures of Ideas. Whitehead
5\9 Ulysses on the Liffey. R. Ellmann
5\12 Ethics. A. Badiou
5\16 Spheres v.1 Bubbles. Sloterdijk
5\20 Primal Vision. G. Benn
5\27 Glare. Ammons
5\29 Stubborn Fact etc. Hosinski
5\31 Aspects of the Novel. E. M. F.
6\1 Dream Time. G. O'Brien

I just remember, I don't see why you'd keep a list other than autism.

I'm afraid you're right, a list is as alienated from its author as the books he wants to remember in it for him.

Yes, I scar sing their names and post on Soundcloud

Actually, it's amazing what all youre able to recall that happened around (you) when reading a certain book. For instance I read In Cold Blood while my dad was taking me off to college, St. Exupery's Nightflight while sitting at graduation, Sotweed Factor when the girl I thought I'd marry broke up with me (it helped).. just seeing the title written down and the date brings back a flood of details from where I was, what all was happening, the weather, even the quality of light- whether I finished some time in the day or the night, whether raining or snowing, etc. Like paving stones or madeleines! Don't know why it works for me but it does. Doubles as a kind of ghostly journal.

I wish my Grandparents kept lists with some indication of good/bad. I feel I would then have a deeper understanding of their character and interior lives. Alas.

I like to write my name inside the front cover and the year I read it in roman numerals. That's usually just so I know if I read it already of not.

I do. Just a notepad list.
Pretty standard.

I used to, then i forgot to do it, then i re-read some books a buncha times, then i started reading fanfiction on the internet, then i restarted because the app i was using kept tabs for me, then i changed my phone and the fucking thing had no backup.
So no. I want to be the kind of person that keeps track of shit, but i'm not.

I genuinely enjoyed this comment

This
Also my memory is bad a list of things I've read will inevitably turn into a list of things I have to read.

My family is full of alzheimer's disease and I know I'm next. Stop reminding me OP!

This. What's the point of reading if you can't remember it? Bunch a goldfish in this thread.

Are you 50?

Off topic, but how is Aspects of the Novel? Been wanting to read it for a while.

I don't know why but "physical books" cracks me up.

Im 24, but It makes not difference. I've some OCD or ADD or some shit so bad that my memory fails me after a week. My entire childhood is gone.
My teens are gone except for a few prominent events. Everytime I try to keep a record I simply cant carry on writing. I get a insatiable urge to simply do anything but that, just like back at school.
I rely on close friends and family most of the time to keep me up to date.

I've kept a Google doc list of every book I read ever since 2008 or so. It's a place to copy in quotes, notes, critiques etc and also helps me track my reading pace over the years. I average 71 books a year which is not great but not awful either. Hoping to get it up to 100 books a year in the future.

Wow, must be annoying

It was at first. Not im just sad about the whole thing. Blowing off steam in this thread has helped tho, so there's that.

Well, being dependent might be a grace.
It's been ages since I read Les Misérables but I remember some interesting remarks about the bishop's blindness.

Yeah. well what I'm hoping for is that excessive reading, pondering, puzzles, number games, etc etc will forestall the disease so that I might have the good grace of dying before it comes.

I've been doing all these things since a young age so Its not like I didn't develop with all these mind games and exercises.

you should work on your rating system user

Yes, you posted my list.

Not really sure tho

It's called a joke

Okay!

Thanks, man. I really do believe that more goes on in the space between one's eyes and the text of a book than is generally realized. Reading is made out to be a far more simple activity than it actually is.

It's quick, enjoyable, but a little thin is what I remember.

Looking on the bright side, at least you don't suddenly wake up at night and remember all the embarrassing things you have done before.

I took it that way. Quick kek at how absurd the numbers momentarily became.

kek