So what's your position on the homeric question, Veeky Forums?

So what's your position on the homeric question, Veeky Forums?

i dont like the gays

He wrote both.

homer was a fag

Opinions are irrelevant, the truth has been lost forever.

Did a person named homer exist at some point in history? Absolutely. Did he tell all the stories he has been attributed? Probably not.

Did you mean(pick one):
Home-rick?
Homo-erotic?
Homo-eric?
Homo-eric's erotic rick?
Rick?
H?
Homeless Merrick?
John Merrick?
Merrick's Johnson?
Homer's Barracks?
Momo-Mama-Meric?
Jamal-von Herrick?
Voltaire?

Millman Perry is right, but he is wrong -pace Benardete

He wears a 1980's American workout headband, probably in a neon color, like all the girls, which raises the likelihood he is wearing a Richard Simmons-esque leotard beneath the frame of that doodle.

So, yea, Homer was definitely an ancient Greek Jazzercise instructor.

The homeric epics were actually crafted by the demiurge himself to lead us astray.

Who cares about the author? It's the work that matters

>all this impiety
this why the republics of this age are dying to muslim terrorists. You have forsaken your ancestors, and do not honor the 'Gods'.

I can't read Attic Greek so perhaps theres something I'm missing but...isn't it quite easy to distinguish aithprial voice? It is for us now in our native tongues. I've read that The Iliad/The Odyssey are written in such an artificial language that was especially for epic poetry and thats why it may be difficult to tell one author from another, but still; we can tell our Pincecone from DeLillo from Rushdie within a sentence. I'm sure scholars just aren't trying enough.

*authorial

It matter hugely. For example, the possibly spurious book 24 of The Odyssey, if in fact written by Homer, paints a picture of both the author of of ancient life thats far, far different to the one we see if we believe its spurious. The incomprehensible caprice of Athene, and bizarre cruelty of Odysseus towards his Father; if Homer saw this as a natural conclusion to his epic then he (and the ancients) were far stranger and far more removed from ourselves than than he/they otherwise would be. The whole moral and ethical landscape of the ancient world becomes akin an ant colony or something, where its so removed from our sensibilities that its essentially unstudyable, and all of our criticism of the rest of the epic, and the ancients in general, is darkened by that shadow.

>Veeky Forums is 90% Anglo mongrels
>"descendants of the Greeks"

>we are impure
>our ancestors are lost to us
>only greeks have ancestors
forshame

Anglos are descendants of greeks and the real jews

Sneed

>not adding that Julius Caesar was Cromwell in drag

I turned myself into a gay morty. I'm homo-rick

his name is on the spine so

I try to throw allusions to "speak to me, oh muse, of the man of many turns" into as much of my work as possible. For instance, I'm writing a satirical ode to a cockroach thant includes the line " Chitter to me, oh mouse, of the roach of eratic turns, who wandered aimlessly after the sacking of my ktchen cabinet."

Good Lord Freedomland really was a mistake, wasn't it, its only you who are obsessed with your hyphens and your 'im 1/16 Italian lol' - Europeans are one, Christendom is a unitary culture, outside the walls are just barbarians and desert.

Don't get too serious. I was just poking fun at the "muh ancestors, muh muslims" nonsense.

Besides that I'm black, you euros all bleed together at some point anyway.

part of being gods chosen people

bring it on

That sounds super interesting. Where can I read more about it?

this is Veeky Forumss official position. He was also divinely inspired. kill yourself if you disagree

homer didnt write in attic greek

She was black.

It was written by Homer and he and the ancients did see it as normal, Socrates was the first to question it. Read the platonic dialogue Euthyphro. It’s 15 pages.

>Alluding to a translation
ISHYGDDT

Talk shit about Americans all you want, we are the ones who are taking a stand to un-cuck our country.

>Europeans are one
lol kys

reddit post

There has been a ton of attempts to analyze the epics' authorship throughout the centuries. Some of the oldest existing manuscripts have commentary that attribute certain sections to other authors. The version I'm reading says every ten pages that this or that section is probably an interpolation. Recently there has even been a translation that tried to truly clean up the text, kicked out whole chapters and shit.
Maybe you're the one who isn't trying enough, if you don't know anything about the problem.

Virgin did it better in the Aeneid
Prove me wrong!

But they lead directly to paradise regained.

>The Virgin Poem
>The Chad Epos

Homer cucked himself with his hexameter being so strict. And Virgil is still an Epic as well

Brainlet Homeric meter isn't nearly so strict as Vergilian.

You guys seem knowledgeable. Could you explain the difference between Homer's and Vergil's verse? I thought they both used hexameter that functions the same

There was 1 Homer, he existed historically, he existed exactly as folktales depict him, he composed both the Iliad and the Odyssey single-handily, and furthermore he did so in the full knowledge that they would be treasures not just for his contemporary society but for all time.

>choosing the imitation over the original.
Virgil is poormans Homer.

>tfw brainlet
I don't understand.

Homer was a woman. Nausicaa is meant to be the author speaking.

Basically Homer's hexameter is much more irregular than Vergil's. Vergilian hexameters usually fall within a specific set of patterns for the first four feet, often dactyl-spondee-spondee-dactyl or spondee-spondee-spondee-spondee. Almost invariably, the fifth and sixth feet are a dactyl and a spondee respectively. Homer on the other hand had much more irregularity in his hexameter. A lot of his fifth feet were spondees, something almost no other author does. He also uses dialectical forms and contortions to fit the meter a lot more than Vergil did, and even after those uses a number of Homeric lines still don't scan according to the rules of hexameter.