How do you rank the Pynchon books that you've read?

How do you rank the Pynchon books that you've read?

GR > M&D > TCoL49 > V > AtD > Inherent Vice > Bleeding Edge > Vineland

pin-chon

I haven't read any of them

GR > V > 49 > IV

M&D > GR >> V > Inherent Vice >> Bleeding Edge > TCoL49 > Vineland >> Slow Learner

nice list thread, very tasteful
GR>V>IV>Slow Learner

I'm using "A" as the highest, since "A+" seems redundant:

V: A-
TCol49: A-
GR: A
Vineland:A (SERIOUSLY underrated, what the fuck is Bloom on about, did he even read it?)
M&D: A
AtD: A (best novel of the last 17 years EASILY; the critic complaints are baffling, I have no idea how Michiko Katchemallcanmi is still employed there)
IV: A-

... and I'm a brutal grader

>IV: A-
>... and I'm a brutal grader

lol..

gr>49>m&d>v>AtD>>>vineland>IV

Of those that I have read:
GR>IV>TCoL49>BE

though I am reading M&D right now and it is shaping up to be towards the top of this list.

I take it you've never read Chandler or Hammett. Doesn't everyone have a Shasta they lost? Also helps if you've ever lived in Los Angeles (which I did in the late 90's)

v>gr>tcol49>vineland

Against the Day > V. > Mason & Dixon > Gravity's Rainbow > Inherent Vice > TCoL49 > Vineland > Bleeding Edge

Don't hate

Can you give a defence for the forced ending? If so I'd be interested in hearing it.
>Doesn't everyone have a Shasta they lost?
Where do you think you are?

GR > V > IV > Lot49

I'm about 100 pages into M&D and it's hard to tell so far but I think I might end up being stronger than GR. Looking forward to AtD too.

which one should i read first?

I've read v. GR and inherent vice.

all were randumb trash with mediocre prose. 4/10

Trash>Smoldering Feces>Putrified anus>Trash again>Garbage

GR>ATD>M&D>TCoL49>V.>IV

Personally I'd say Inherent Vice

Have a handy-dandy chart, user. I read V. first and am currently reading CoL49. I'll probably end up reading his books in order, to be honest.

V is pretty good, I.V. is pretty much garbage.

V > GR > M&D = CoL49
I haven't read Against the Day yet. I think V. is crazily underrated

Immediately after I finished reading V. I looked around for lectures, essays, podcasts, or anything talking about it in detail. I found next to nothing besides what the Pynchon wiki provides.

GR
Against the Day
M&D
Vineland
V.
Bleeding Edge
Inherent Vice
TCoL49

They are all good though

why does it say the killing yourself thing

is it the same way where i wanted to kill myself while reading infinite jest? this feeling passed after reading a third of it btw

M&D>GR>BE>V>CL49>SL

>a defence for the forced ending?

Happily. Which book?

1. Inherent Vice

It wasn't great. I suppose I wasn't really feeling it at the time, but I was thoroughly unimpressed.

Oops, edited out the part that made it clear. I meant the death of Brock Vond.

I'd call it a dropped ending

I don't hold Vineland quite as highly as you, but i agree that it's mad underrated

GR > V > TCoL49 > IV
Fucking love Imherent Vide regardless though

GR>49>AtD>IV>BE

Crying > Gravity's Rainbow >> V. >>>> Bleeding Edge > Inherent Vice

They fixed the misprints a few years ago

TCoL49

>never read any
>bought vineland because saw it in secondhand shop
>mfw its rated as the worst one

pine-cone

Basically "if you got through these and wasn't put off by the style"

49>Bleeding edge

And both of them sucked.

I didn't read any but I really V the highest

I think most rate BE lower now.

M&D > GR > IV > Vineland > V. > AD > TCoL49 > BE > Slow Learner.

M&D = GR

GR > TCoL49 > Slow Learner

I got V. in the where's wally edition

From what I've heard, the Penguin editions of GR no longer have the error(s) in them. Apparently, if you have an older copy you can send it to them and they'll send you a copy without the misprints.

Crying of Lot 49

GR > AtD > > TCoL49 > V > M&D > Inherent Vice > Bleeding Edge > Vineland > Slow Learner

Even so-called Pynchon-lite (Bleeding Edge, Vineland, and Inherent Vice) are very good and worth reading.

Did the same and read it, enjoyed it regardless. I'm glad to have started with the worst of an author's work. Whatever I read next I'm sure I'll enjoy at least as much as Vineland.

>fake juged mary

Rick and Morty is great, but it can't compare to Pynchon. Pynchons my fav writer for sure because my fav thing in books is goofs, gags, jokes and rambunctious behavior, and his books are full to the brim of it. Every novel is like one of those novelty snake cans, you open the book & POP you get a face fulla snakes and you fall back cackling. The mad mind, the crack genius, to do it! and then you think hmmm whats he gonna do next, this trickster, and you pick the book back up and BZZZZZZZZZZ you get a shock and Hahahahahah you've been pranked again by the old pynchmeister, that card. "Did that Pynch?" he says, laughing yukyukyukyuk. Watch him as he shoves a pair of plastic buck teeth right up into his mouth and displays em for you- left, right, center- "you like dese? Do i look handsome???" Pulls out a mirror. "Ah!" Hand to naughty mouth. And you're on your ass again laughing as he snaps his suspenders, exits stage right, and appears again hauling a huge golden gong.