Going to see Blade Runner tonight. What books do I need to read in order to fully appreciate it? The Greeks, perhaps?

Going to see Blade Runner tonight. What books do I need to read in order to fully appreciate it? The Greeks, perhaps?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rVarn-m7o9k
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Philip K Dick.

society of the spectacle by friedrich stirner

Yes, the greeks

I mean in terms of philosophy. I don't read sci-fi because I'm not a pleb.

But you watch it?

>asks for advice on understanding a movie
>gets the book which inspired the movie
>"nah I don't read the genre which I inquired about"

Fine you got me there. Movies are not the same as books.

What philosophy inspired the shitty sci-fi book then?

Pale Fire

K reads it to his waifu

He's called K? LEL Kafka Amerite?

>This

Also, read treasure island.

Is it kino

It looks nice, but it's still a shitty scifi movie for plebs with a swiss cheese of plotholes. Gosling is bae tho.

Visually, it is kino. It fails in many other regards. Does not come anywhere near Batty's monologue in terms of beauty and profundity. Plotwise it's mostly the themes of the first one, watered down, semi-digested, regurgitated and spoon-fed to the unwashed masses. The soundtrack doesn't have any of the magic of the first one.

All in all, it's good, but it's not great. If it wasn't the sequel to such a masterpiece, I wouldn't judge it as harshly.

Well, at least it wasn’t yet another remake. Points for trying something different even though that should be the norm not the exception.

It certainly looks gorgeous in the trailers. Would you recommend seeing it in theaters?

just kill yourself

It's just the ol' determinism vs. free will debate (not as deeply explored as Aquinas, the list goes on) but with shooty pew pew and a shit ton of brooding and neon.

youtu.be/rVarn-m7o9k
It's a bit more surface level than that, the book is all about questioning what is fake and what is real in a world where those lines are blurred, the video I linked gives a good post colonial argument. I'm sure you could interpret it in other ways if you tried.

Stop taking memes so seriously