Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenosis
youtu.be/-srD1Deh9Xg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do what God tells you

Oh ok

Seize the love which you have for the world to preserve to love of Christ

How do I seize love?

If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Luke:14:26

Do you really wish to be a Christian existentialist?

For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
Ecclesiastes:1:18

Make the test here: forget Christianity for a moment and think of what you ordinarily know as love; call to mind what you read in the poets, what you yourself can find out, and then say whether it ever occurred to you to think this: You shall love? Be honest, or, lest this disturb you, I will honestly admit that many, many times in my own life it has utterly amazed me, that at times it has seemed to me as if love lost everything thereby, even though it gains everything. Be honest, admit that with most people, when they read the poets’ glowing description of erotic love or friendship, it is perhaps the case that this seems to be something far higher than this poor: “You shall love.”

“You shall love.” Only when it is a duty to love, only then is love eternally secured against every change, eternally made free in blessed independence, eternally and happily secured against despair.

Life isn't about happiness, it's about meaning (even if in many cases meaning comes with happiness).
I understand, I must make my love my obligation to Christ, and in obligation and commitment I find more meaning.

Not OP, this is deep....

Yeah I understand but being an individualist and a Christian existentialist would make you look like a wierdo irl.

First thing: Thou shall never watch anime

The well rounded man carries a strong sense of universality, individualism, and faith.

Also people already think I'm a weirdo irl

>“You shall love.” Only when it is a duty to love, only then is love eternally secured against every change, eternally made free in blessed independence, eternally and happily secured against despair.

o fuck this is what I have been looking for

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenosis

Why haven't I heard of Kenosis before, at first glance this seems to be exactly what I need.

Good luck OP, I've tried to be an individual and an existentialist but ended up in despair and losing friends. I wish I were surrounded by people like you and me irl since it would make us look normal.

The answer is a combination of these three; Eastern Mysticism, existentialism (christian existentialism in my case, what religion and if you become religious depends on the individual), and absurdism. I'd also like that last part though.

Interesting, I bet you love the book of Ecclesiastes! Am I right?
Pic related might interest you, but I guess you've read it already.

Thanks, but I'm nit really into self-help shit

It's not self help book, here's a quick run down.
It's all about existentialism.

youtu.be/-srD1Deh9Xg

Not even Christian, but Works of Love is one of the most powerful books out there.

Never heard of it, will look into it now. Also that guy wasn't me. Gonna go to bed now cause it's late. Nighty night.

Good night, user.

You can only gain knowledge of how to become one if you stop coming to Veeky Forums and continue to study Kierkegaard. Unless shitposting is your goal.

Start with despair

I went to the bar last night with my friend and we got fairly drunk, and one of his friends came up to his and started talking to us, and we got to talking about Kierkegaard's knight of faith and teleologically suspending the ethical and I told him I didn't get it. I kind of get it, but I don't get it. I tried to compare it to Blake's idea of Christ as "alogos," as greater than any attempt to reduce him to discursive understanding, similar to some medieval ideas about the possibility of describing God metaphorically. And I mentioned agape, pure Christian love and brotherhood that overcomes everything else. But no matter what, I couldn't understand teleologically suspending the ethical. I was too drunk to ask him to explain and he took off shortly after so I feel like I will never have it explained to me by someone who is really passionate about it.

I told him about the Jewish character in Simmons' Hyperion, how he also couldn't get the Abraham and Isaac story, but he hadn't read it. I wish he had stuck around and explained it to me. I told him, "If Jesus told me to kick a puppy, I would tell Jesus to go fuck himself" but he left soon after.

Swords?

I remember Kierkegaard writing this, but I can't remember where.

The suspension of ethics refers to concepts such as "good" and "bad" not existing without a force beyond our comprehension (God) being able to define what good is. It's what Nietzsche is always going on about.

Presumably Works of Love

what kierkegaard quotes to use to btfo atheist fedora tippers?

>Atheists say that no one can prove the existence of God and they're right, but I say no one can DISPROVE that God exists

>athiest say that you can't prove god (not true, by the way)but i say: do you think that the universe came from an explosion? roflmao, did the hiroshima bomb spawned a new universe?

You don't.

just call them fat

“Absolutely no benefit can be derived from involving oneself with the natural sciences. One stands there defenseless, with no control over anything. The researcher immediately begins to distract one with his details: Now one is to go to Australia, now to the moon; now into an underground cave; now, by Satan, up the arse—to look for an intestinal worm; now the telescope must be used; now the microscope: Who in the devil can endure it?”