Literary red flags thread

I'll start, whenever you see someone beyond the age of 18 reading this book you know they're lolsodeep xD people who read blogs to find out what's cool and spend all day on facebook.

Why did Gaddis hate it so much he made it a running joke in The Recognitions?

>whenever you see someone beyond the age of 18 reading this book you know they're lolsodeep xD
How the fuck do you even come to that conclusion? My guess is that whoever reads that book is socially awkward and wishes to change that.

Have you read the book?

found the htwf&ip reader.

Desu my brother paid for a Dale Carnegie course and that was his main reason, he wanted to hold conversations at parties better.

Yep, it's all obnoxious fake sleight-of-hand to make yourself feel like the lifehack champion of socialization. Perfect marketing for autists wishing they could be a CEO chad.

Essentially, it's PUA for ''entrepreneurs''

tell me user, where is he on the spectrum?
Did he get a gf through his totally subtle yet Machiavellian convo strats?

He was alread married and had a good job before he took the course, while you and I are making minimum wage and shitposting on an anime board, so...

Yes. I doubt anyone would think of it as deep.

yes user, I too am either a minimum wage cuck or a NEET. only options possible. Very creative thinking. Clearly posting on Saturday because I'm not at home from a week of doing eng field. work, but waiting for my Burger King shift to start.

Kek. You flip those damn burgers.

Sorry bud, you likely flipped one for me.

Don't backsass me, boy. I could buy and sell you.

Now I want Burger King. Thanks guys.

I neither blog nor facebook and htwfaip is great

so do you sell used cars and live the incel life instead?

I sell insurance

just got a whopper after reading this thread..good work lads

are you sure? I think I'm a little bit more (((kashrut))) than you.

close enough

I guess shilling really does work out on this horticulture enthusiasts BBS

How is any of this "obnoxious fake sleight-of-hand"

"It's obvious", he says. No one, I repeat, no one takes all that advice to heart. That's why you read it.

It parallels PUA writing so strongly. Especially the sleazy roundabout ways of supposedly attracting people, such as telling them what they want to hear and talking only towards them about their needs. This is such an over-saturated and obvious way of advertising to people that they tend to automatically feel repulsed. Read over some of the example dialogues in the book. Wouldn't you feel greasy if someone did that to you?

I'd much rather something like the Toyota way where you learn about improving your quality of product and employee satisfaction through changing the environment and supply chain system then superficially schmoozing people.

All my friends tell me they appreciate my criticism, and I appreciate theirs, just don't be a massive flailing cock about it.

ITT: People judging a book by its title.

Its literally just social, sales, and persuasion advice. Nothing profoundly innovative, but it is a thoughtful book with good advice.

Mechanization of the human experience. Interaction as a mere tool towards an end

What do you recommend as an alternative title?

I go on Facebook for the dog nail maintenance group. It's very important to learn to keep your pooch's nails the right length to help prevent arthritis in the wrists and paws, and other injury.

I loathe the pop-psych phenomenon of self-help, self-motivational quackery being published and stacked on coffee tables at a pace liable to kill off a rainforest as much as the next guy, but if there were ever an example of legitimate psychology and "life coaching," Carnegie's book is an example of it. I found your low grade psychoanalyzation of its readers rather unfounded.

Read the book, you might learn something about not coming off like a retard.