Autodictact

Is being an autodictact worth it? I feel like I will never be able to understand philsophy without a curriculum

autodidact is code for "stupid"
stupid people will dispute this

As much as people bitch about uni, a lot of that is laziness and people not actually approaching uni with comittment and engagement and pushing themselves, then complain about it not giving them anything.

It's like an apprenticeship, only alongside WAY too many other people. But as you progress through uni those people whittle away until it really is you being personally trained by a handful of professors. It's pretty sweet if you actually take it seriously and don't act like an entitled cynical fuck just trying to extract a piece of paper from the man.

Of course, even if you attend university courses you are still learning by yourself. The trouble of being an autodidact is in not consulting the right sources (aka bibliography) and the discipline factor.

You will be able to understand philosophy more WITHOUT a curriculum.

More people bitch about the cost of uni more than anything. Too much debt for all the bullshit you have to deal with.

There is nothing in life except dealing with bullshit, and putting off dealing with bullshit to eventually deal with more bullshit later.

Money for uni should be thought of as an investment, because educated people tend to make more average income.

Wrong and dumb.

Don't even try to drag Aphex Twin down into the pepe gutter

If anything, being an autodidact will increase your love for learning. High enough and you can commit to university where you'll be an unstoppable force.

There's resources, books, videos, summaries, and MOOC out there. Use them.

See that again has this attitude that the idea is to "beat" university. But it's there to serve people during a specific time of their life, i.e., transitioning into adulthood and learning how to learn well. If you've already taught yourself how to learn effectively (including communicating effectively) then you're in no need for uni except that piece of paper. You won't enjoy it because you've sapped half the purpose away.

Uni is not about proving yourself it's about fucking learning a skillset.

there are entire university courses posted online for free

Yes because they don't care. As long as you don't have their certificate you will probably earn less

There are far better investments to make than uni. Like marketable skills and creating your own portfolio/business.

For all the money some people used to go to uni, others have made fortunes from the same amount or less.

I honestly don't understand the point of college in the internet age. Unless you are doing a skill like medicine or engineering. But simply to learn philosophy or history? Seems utterly pointless to me. People will claim that you can only truly learn it in college, it's just not the same as teaching on your own, that there is some magical element to learning in university that cannot be achieved elsewhere. But I think it's hogwash. I am not convinced that university will actually turn you into more of a critical thinker.

David Jones, greatest modern poet, never spent a day in an english program

>I am not convinced that university will actually turn you into more of a critical thinker.
Of course it wont, just look at the current state of UC Berkely, which is one of (if not the most) expensive schools in the US. Ivy Leagues are degenerating as well.

The truth is people go to college for the image and "connections", but mostly the pussy.

It all depends on how you utilize it. Uni allows you to learn for many year without social stigma. A good opportunity for some people, but many will just abuse it to slack off and party

you're a faggot
>In 1909, at fourteen, he persuaded his parents to allow him to abandon traditional education for art school and entered theCamberwell Art School. There he studied underA. S. Hartrick, who had worked withVan GoghandGauguin, Reginald Savage and Herbert Cole, and who introduced him to the work of theImpressionistsandPre-Raphaelites. At Camberwell it was mandatory to study English Literature, and in addition to his art studies Jones also developed his knowledge of literature

>In 1919 he won a Government grant to study again at Camberwell Art School.[4]From Camberwell, he followed its headmaster,Walter Bayes, to theWestminster School of Artin central London, where he studied under Bayes andBernard Meninsky

This. Most philosophy proffesors suck ass.

>blocks your path

you either 1. go to a great school and are fortunate to be ignorant of this fact or 2. are self taught and download syllabi offline and teach yourself and therefore undercutting yourself or 3. are an idiot.

you know he was rich and steeped in higher education since childhood right?