Have you noticed that all the people who have genuine intellectual achievements like Elon Musk or Bill Gates or famous...

Have you noticed that all the people who have genuine intellectual achievements like Elon Musk or Bill Gates or famous scientists have a "childish and nerdy" demeanour that is laughed at by snarky females, journalists, humanities majors?

Similarly with many sci first writers, genre fiction writers, athletes, tv show creators, rappers. And not because those are intellectuals. And it's not a "Reddit" attitude because that implies morals and tastes handed down from corporations.

The common denominator is an honest pursuit of their own tastes. I mention this on Veeky Forums because this common denominator is absent in the stagnant world of literary fiction, English literature, and humanities academia, with its focus on sterile worship of older works, herd mentality that discourages praise of contemporary work unless it conforms with the concrete straitjacket of tradition, and relentless promotion of endless critiques that are either leftist screeds or nonsensical dirge.

It's fucking tiring seeing you guys talk about the same authors endlessly because you've been told what to think.

Academia is too obsessed with the image of sophistication and authenticity, and thus will always struggle to know the real thing. Weak minds get mastered by it, strong minds make it work for them.

DUDE LETS JUST ABANDON THE RICH TRADITION OF A CERTAIN FIELD OF STUDY

Why can't Rick and Morty be a valid field of study such as the works of English lit suh as Paradise Lost, Beowulf and t.S elliot cat porms

because it’s shit. Degradation of cartoons. They went a step back rather than a step forth with that one.
take a look at Samurai Jack, which at least has a meaning.

reddit spacing

>Waaa I'm incontinent why can't we just reduce everything down to a basic power structure since we're all brainwashed and unable to think for ourselves?

>DUDE FUCK TRADITION
>DUDE LEFTISTS LMAO

how does someone get to this level of cognitive dissonance?

>implying its possible to think for yourself

YGOTAS > Ulysses. No contest. Considerably less pretentious, yet far more allusive. Nice meta elements. Actually funny, too.

I am writing on my phone, so cant do the obvius parody of saying it with your own words, but here it goes:
Notice how common people - including great musicians, sportsmen, actors etc. - believe in astrology, homeophaty and such? Isnt Veeky Forums too elitist for ignoring those perfectly legitimate areas????
Answer: homeophaty doesnt work!
Yeah, and Rick and Morty is probably shit. Next question, please?

The fact you dont find Ulysses funny tells a lot about you.
Heres the problem with these people: they lack the education. Once you grow up in a cartoon/videogames environment, it will STICK to you until the end. Our first experiences are the parmanent ones. I am so glad I had a farm and an encyclopedia to balance out the evil effects of entertainment... Your sensibilty is developed very early and it stays. If it arises from reality, great lit will be excellent to you if you have the means of understanding it. If it arises from videogame, reality as well as lit will be alien to you. I suspecr this is one of the causes of the so-called "pussy generation" and "grownn-up kids" of today: videogames have nothing to do with reality. This is also why folk art tends to be very good, and becomes great art once you add great intellect to it (its common for great composers to use folk tunes in their works, and making it great art by creating innovative structures, developments and timbers, thus translating the folk into the universal language of the mind).

Sorry foe typos. Very small phone

You're a pseud.

~Sage-chan

>Heres the problem with these people: they lack the education.

>Has numerous typos and grammatical errors and blames it on the "phone".

hahahahahahhahaha

The reason you study old works is because our canon is self-referential. Can't understand Shakespeare without Chaucer and Ovid; you can't understand Melville without Shakespeare; you can't understand Virgil without Homer. It's a conversation that's been happening for thousands of years. If you wanna give up that conversation in order to allow something new to exist, that new thing better be as spectacular as what you're giving up. No contemporary writer is as spectacular as Shakespeare or Virgil.

>The common denominator is an honest pursuit of their own tastes.

The "taste" these people cultivate is just enjoying popular media. You're not developing your own taste if you don't have to go out of your way to look for something. Otherwise you're just enjoying what's already put in front of you.

I can write in four languages and always better than you. I am a grown man with big fingers.

Reading canonical works isn't exactly going out of your way either.

In 2017 it absolutely is. Very few people nowadays read canonical works outside of an academic context. And true understanding of a work requires more time than what's available to you when you're in college taking multiple classes at once.

big words from a small man. I hope your ego keeps you warm at night and when you walk the streets with peasants.

Elon musk has carefully manufactured a certain public persona that appeals to nerdy redditors. He has carved himself out a place in the media spotlight through identifying certain trends and presenting himself a certain way. Do you think he really watches Rick and Morty and enjoys it, or do you think he has a team of publicists that run his Twitter account so that he maintains his status as the masses favorite billionaire technologist entrepreneur?

Gross dude.

Well, I'm sorry, user, that I don't find your favourite tale of a Jewish cuck to be all that amusing. I liked Don Quixote, though, as far as humorous books go. I also happened to read quite a bit growing up. People can still have their own likes and dislikes, regardless of any status attached by academia. I'm sure many well-read people have their own views about Shakespeare's plays and which ones are best for instance.

>take a look at Samurai Jack, which at least has a meaning.
Jordan pls go.

i find the normie appropriation of "shitposting" abhorrent

guess i know how them injuns feel now

Do you think he thinks this will save him from the guillotine when the revolution comes?

Elon Musk is exactly the kind of mediocre bugman that would watch Rick and Morty or post on reddit, I believe it is entirely genuine.

higher IQs among STEM types. literary types have lower average IQs and are perpetually insecure about it. most literary types are also cultural leftists.

>genuine intellectual achievements like Elon Musk or Bill Gates

this.

Just because you post on lit and bemoan pop culture doesn't make you an intellectual. You're just another cynical sheep who thinks their better than everyone.

>tfw not allowed to step out of bounds even slightly
Veeky Forums pls

oh this is just a shitpost about rick and morty
cool

I would love Rick and Morty if it was funny, but it mostly isn't. There are plenty of contemporary comedy television shows that are popular that I think are fantastic, Nathan For You being one example.

Many people enjoy stupid shit unless you are a genuine autist. The highly successful have nothing to prove to anyone, that's why they can indulge in all kinds of stuff and openly admit it.