The Phenomenology of Music

Is ideal music supposed to be experienced as a pure transition of the Dionysian into its ephemeral Apollonian forms, or are specific kinds of representation appropriate to specific pieces of music?

Is there a "pure" appreciation of pure music? Is some music purer than others, like a perfectly harmonious Mozart concerto or mathematical Bach sonata, compared to a narratively structured Wagnerian Gesamtkunstwerk or dissonant and impressionistic Stravinsky piece?

If so, what is the relationship between "pure" music and "story-music?" Is it like the relationship between literature and popcorn cinema, with the latter being considered degenerate or adolescent?

What is the correct(est) way discovered so far to phenomenologically experience pure music, if it exists?

If it exists, what relationship does it have with attempts to find other musical grounds and expand the range of what we consider music to begin with, like atonalism? Is the correct phenomenological approach to pure music perennial and Pythagorean, or is there a deeper phenomenological ground whose range of listening has to be expanded?

How about you ask fewer questions next time.

No, then people like you would show up and start shooting from the hip with random opinions. I'll kill you in real life.

I second this, OP. How do you expect anyone to be able to give a good response without being one of those autists who greentext every point and respond individually?
I agree with neechee though.

The relation between "pure" music and "story-music" is the history of music

Is dissonance pure? If dissonance is not pure, I want nothing to do with "pure" music.

No

>Stravinsky
>Mozart
nigga listen to something good like Neutral Milk Hotel or The Pop Group
not even joking

>Neutral Milk Hotel
>The Pop Group
nigga listen to something good like Gorguts or Nile
not even joking

Let me write a book real quick...Piece of advice: if you have a difficult and wide ranging question, the only way you'll get a serious response is to post something substantial yourself, first.

Put in some Deathspell Omega and Ulcerate while we're at it.

Don't listen to corporate produced crap, pick something indie and support it

>corporate produced
>Neutral Milk Hotel
>The Pop Group

You never listened to any of the bands listened you poser.

>Neutral Milk Hotel
This is such a fucking meme band. I don't know why people like it so much. I'll stick to my weeb shit thank you very much.

We choose what we see.

The terms you are looking for are "absolute music" and "programme music", and "liturgical music".

I get it but Neutral Milk Hotel is pushed so fucking hard by /mu/ like it's the savior of music as a whole and it really isn't and when called out they just go "lmao shit taste git gud"

>like it's the savior of music
It's much more than that.

Thank you for this. This is exactly the kind of thing I have been looking for in response to my questions. Do you have any recommendations for debates over absolute music, particularly within the German idealist tradition?

This has been killing me lately.

herewegoagain.jpg

Perhaps Wagner vs. Brahms