ITT: Military History

What are some top tier military history books?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/13155847-embers-of-war
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Probably the best pure work of military history that I know of that isnt either a narrative history or a biography. Richard Evan's third volume of his Third Reich Trilogy is also very good.

caesar's gallic wars too

We Were Soldiers Once

Together with this: Dispatches by Michael Herr, although that is more journalism

The TV miniseries based on this book is fantastic.

Anything by Antony Beevor

Anyone have any recommendations of military memoirs of post-vietnam conflicts from non-Americans?

I mean post-Vietnam just as a reference point to more modern conflicts, not to focus on an American conflict.

Chester G Hearn has a good coverage of all US Branches except the Coast Guard. It's far reaching and generalized, but to brush up on each branch his books are great.

Also, if you like military shit in general, /k/ has some great stories and experiences between the board. Pic related, a /k/ommando acting as a medic in the YPG.

Check out Embers of War by Fredrik Logevall
goodreads.com/book/show/13155847-embers-of-war

Rick Atkinson is the man. I highly recommend The Long Gray Line.

C L A U S E W I T Z

Supplying War by Martin van Creveld. Good book on military logistics.

Guadalcanal Diary

The Bear Went Over The Mountain/The Other Side of the Mountain (Soviets in Afghanistan from both perspectives, rather technical)

Arkady Babchenko's One Soldier's War in Chechnya

Most books by Antony Beevor and Max Hastings.
If you want the best by both then Stalingrad and The Korean War respectively are their best works.

People need to get off military history's dick. I don't care how many times the NYT puts it on its best seller list, your perspective on WWII and Caesar is not new. Least innovative genre of history right now baka

Im reading this now. Moore was one legit badass motherfucker.

Mostly because he poops on Clausewitz

Chickenhawk is the only war book that matters besides Johnny got his Gun.

One of my all time favorite, because I knew nothing about it, and it turned into an all time great shitshow with very few comparable episodes in history.

Why is that?

The amount of butthurt that military history's continuing unenforced popularity generates among "academic" (i r r e l e v a n t) historians is part of the appeal.

The Guns of August is well researched, vibrant, and really pulls the curtain back on the clown show that was the start of WWI

dont forget its less popular but superior brother

In which things go badly.

CV Wedgwoods history is good too

Worth reading? Is it of a similar style to GoA? I assume it's much more generalized and sweeping, given its scope

After reading this, I still have no idea what the 30 years war was about, or even really the basic facts of it.

This book absolutely drowns the reader in these irrelevant and monotonous details of the time, and completely disregards the big picture. Fuck this hope, i hope it gets a book stroke and gets put into a book old age home to be forgotten and die.

t. brainlet

Couldn't look up all the cool characters on sparknotes, huh?

>£90 on Amazon

I wanted to read this but fuck that.

>"waaa I'm poor"
>buys books on fucking amazon

Give up on reading lad, reading and education are a past time reserved for the rich, and the only way you will get around that fact is by not being a fucking idiot

Absolutely the best book I've read on WW2.

"Stridens skönhet och sorg" by Peter Englund is a great portrait of WW1 but I think his prose loses a bit in translation. He is very much inspired by Barbara Tuchman and has his eye on the absurd logic of war and the cultural context through which it was seen.

filetea DOT me/n3wz3alMs2HRUuxLs5JsNK5vg

pdf of said file, I have azw3 if you want too

The Trojan War: A New History by Barry Strauss

eh
it's ok

best bit was when i read his view on the chariot thing compared to what i heard Donald Keegan say in a lecture I saw on Youtube

Give all formats

Thank you!

filetea DOT me/n3wZsVRDoYXQnO2rCNF5uaxNA

its my own conversion, sorry for any errors

where do you buy books

Gotta love the Beev

>hemmed and hawed on picking this up on abe for ~$50
>now can't find a decent copy for less than $90

fuck

>completely disregards the big picture
>he didn't spend years establishing a broad basis of historical knowledge from which he could comfortably zone in on any European nation or era

>I want to know the big picture of a thing I should already know of as an educated adult
>no details please
>Where should I turn, wikipedia or this thousand page book?

ok

It isnt even that, the book basically a love letter to Tilly, Gustavus Adolphus, and Wallenstein. I have no idea what this user is talking about.