Goddammit...

Goddammit, what program has the feature to categorize my novel into chapters so I don't have to keep scrolling to a certain part of my book, i have over 49,000 words!

just make different files for each chapter LOL

or ctrl+f you big dummy

Scrivener, or Google docs with chapters in separate files.

You have to be insane to work in one big file

so how would i put it all together in one file when it's finally complete? wouldn't it be more convenient to just have an index on a program that can separate your work via chapters? having a different file for each chapter seems primitive

>so how would i put it all together in one file when it's finally complete?
copy and paste lol
>having a different file for each chapter seems primitive
its pretty reasonable actually, as said you'd have to be insane not to do so

The point I'm trying to make is that shouldn't there be a writing processor out there that has the feature to section the file via chapters so I wouldn't have to make a new file just for a chapter? That would seem a lot more convenient imo

yWriter

Make different files like first post says, or just use the header function in whatever word processing software you use. If you want specialized software to waste the, Scrivener is cool.

>That would seem a lot more convenient imo
The time you have devoted to this thread has exceeded the time it would have taken to make a couple of new files. Seriously it would only take a couple of minutes at most.

>a couple of new files
may I remind you that currently, I have 21 chapters and over 49,000 words, not including the interludes, and more to come? thats a lot of files,but if thats the only option that i'm looking at, then I guess I have no choice. isn't compatible with Macbook and is outdated, so as of tomorrow, I plan on doing exactly what a majority of posters have recommended. I just wanted everyone to understand my situation is all

Why wouldn't the interludes be part of some chapter? Besides, just store them in Acts. So you'll have manageable amount of chapters in one folder. Works fine for me with 40+ chapters and 5 Acts. Specially with Mac it's pretty nice due tabs in finder, so you can easy switch from Act 1 to Act 3 or so.

Scrivener is basically like yWriter and available for MacOS.

Although I wholly agree with your point, there are easier ways to do it while maintaining a single large file.

Double ampersand at the last place you were working, like so: &&. Ctrl+F "&&", Enter, and you're there.

>Scrivener only has chaptering as a feature in its MacOS version. WindowsOS version only has the function to play with forced chaptering by screwing around with the settings until you find something that suits your ideals for a particular piece -- time-consuming and not really worthwhile.
>MSWord used to have a clickable Table of Contents, I haven't found it in any updates since ~2006.
>If it's a larger piece with a lot of research in it as well, I find MS OneNote is better than Word -- you can separate by 3 tabs for each "page" in a package like so:
"Chapter #
.................Scene #
..............................Notes for Scene"
as well as separating Note Packages into "Book" "Pure Research/Bare Notes" and "Under the Hood/Mechanics/Worldbuilding" for example.

Ahh, I apologize, I hadn't read this far.
With a MacBook, Scrivener is honestly your best bet. There used to be some internet expert/marketing guru assclown who had those skeezy courses for Scrivener but I haven't found any content from any of the article clips I downloaded a couple years ago; if you found his email list thing and used a bogus email you could figure it out pretty quickly.

Good luck OP, you almighty floundering faggot.

Just ctrl+f your chapter headings. Jesus fuck you're retarded. This is obviously just a post for attention not for an answer, you're trying to wave your e-peen around about having written almost 50,000 words.

You can link embed the text from other documents within one file. Write your chapters in their own files. Compile them together into a full manuscript using link embeds.

ctrl+f
>he can't even remember what he himself wrote
a sure sign it's no good

write a script to paste every chapters into a doc file. I bet it will only take a few lines of code, brainlet pls

>not using LaTex

You can use Google Docs. Make sure you put your chapter titles as headings. Then go to Tools, click Document Outline. You can jump between the chapters by clicking on the outline on the left.

>writing a book nobody else will ever read

OP here, thanks for the feedback. I'm obviously not a computer whiz so the "control 5" thing didn't work for me, just double spaced the font. I'll just follow advice and use google docs, which categorized my chapters as soon as i uploaded my story so that was convenient. And no, I didn't just post this thread just to brag about my word count, I'm simply retarded, no hidden motives here

>Why wouldn't the interludes be part of some chapter?
Most of them are irrelevant to the chapters, but the interludes provides more history to the characters in the story and over they're scattered so throughout the book, the reader will slowly piece everything together.

>muh mac
Run it through WINE or use an OS that isn't a steaming pile of shit. yWriter has exactly what you're asking for.