Does Veeky Forums have any specific ideas on how to fix academia, in form rather than content? (ie program structures...

Does Veeky Forums have any specific ideas on how to fix academia, in form rather than content? (ie program structures, class styles, sizes, tenure, campus organization, scholarships etc) Any good books on education?

A sub-theme in Sloterdijk's Spheres trilogy.

Spread throughout the 3 volumes, or in one volume in particular?

Stop debt slavery, nationalize everything

I don't think we should nationalize everything but it's vital that we get the cost down. Throw out the bullshit majors that are driving costs up.

>program structures
actual learning, not just "lol dude, it's party time"
>class styles
harsh discipline
>sizes
miminal
>tenure
deny to leftists
>campus organization
spartan
>scholarships
no affirmative action

>OP couldn’t play the game and weasel his way into the Ivory Tower.

No, I just think certain things can be improved. Maybe "fix" was the wrong word. For example, I think many B.A's and B.SCs could be done in 3 years, if the curriculum is properly focused.

it's not possible as long as having a degree is connected with 'employability'. maybe if you gave someone competent the ability to fire professors at will, but where you would find such a person, I don't know.

Tell people in the humanities that they are here to learn something and not dick around. Once that is made clear very early on the idiots will leave and the humanities wont be degraded and defaced so badly.
Stop the college weapons race for ever more flashy branding with meme lecturers, modules and grounds/buildings.
Cut the fat, cut unessesary staff. Including administration.
Do all this by getting government watchdogs to kick down the door, do their job and make sure the education system works for learning and not for business interests.
Lose the university moniker in STEM courses and make them a techical college discipline instead, because some of those do solely exist for business purposes.
Or at least those are some suggestions, the US system sounds too screwed to fix. Community college or/and structured home learning through the internet is the future anyways. Until automation makes us all NEETs.

so a degree would only be for one's own interest?

More discipline. I do two humanities majors at one of the best humanities faculty in Europe and it is easy as shit. I literally spend all my time blazing and fucking my gf and I still get (the equivalent of) A's easily. Most people do nothing. They come to class unprepared and the teacher doesn't care at all. They pass by writing some mediocre essay and getting a C. You'd be surprised how many philosophy majors actually do not know much about philosophy. Most students don't study the books, just the powerpoints etc. It's a mess. Or maybe I'm just a genius lmao

Teach this in every class.

It's the same in the US. I'm doing english and theology majors at a top tier school, and 90% of my waking time is spent reading something unrelated or shitposting. No-one has any real idea about literature, including many professors, and while theology is better because there's so few students, it's still a mess. We need more rigor

lol ur a retard dude. none of these are actual problems in universities. its shouldnt be the schools job to enforce discipline or pick a political side.

this guy understands. I couldve been done with my major a year ago if i didnt have to take unnecessary classes to fill up a block requirement schedule.

not to mention SPORTS. fuck that shit. my campus destroyed the commuter parking lot to build a bigger training course for the football team. fuck these people. sports should not be a motivator for a school, get rid of sports in school and youll get rid of half of the meme faggots that come to school cause "i bleed school colors bro". i think sports and competition are important from proper development but they should be seperate from academics. fuck you scholarship cause you can throw a pigskin

As far as academics themselves i think the biggest problem is professors are conceited as fuck. by the time they get their phds theyve lost all connection to the outside world, like seriously these guys have not had a talk with a blue collar person their whole lives, they have no common sense about anything and their ideas are enforced because they hang out with the same type of people. grad school is such a shitshow its almost laughable. its should be a lot easier to get into grad programs and they should start earlier. you should do 3 year bachelor and a year and half of grad research and get a degree

My biggest radical view is that education should be a lifetime thing not a 4 year thing. youre not going to learn everything you need to know in a few years. you should have access to academia for life and jobs should be more flexible with doing this. oh also ban TA's and internships. waste of time and my paper should be graded by a professor not a grad student fuck these niggas

>oure not going to learn everything you need to know in a few years. you should have access to academia for life and jobs should be more flexible with doing this.

How would you propose this works?

not him, but just give me lifetime jstor, library, and course recording access and ill be happy.

i mean they already have golden tickets for senior citizens, why cant an alumni below 50 do the same thing? i dont have to get grades, but if i can still go to the library and classes then im good (and it wouldnt cost the school anything). jobs already do this thru grad school programs but its a very limited thing usually restricted to MBA's and some sciences. but honestly i can do a 9-5 job and find a way to do 2 grad classes in my spare time. AT&T had a whole thing about this.research suggests that people that continue their education do much better in the business world.

How about a place to live, food, and maybe a way to pay some of that back to keep you humble for at least a bit of your week. I'd need that anyhow. But online lectures are actually better than in class, except to make it even better would be to have the lecturer have an in person discussion or Q&A weekly or monthly to not only explain content but also spark new ideas on the readings. I don't give a shit about accreditation, though I know it's important. I just want to be more immersed in the content and less in the social aspects of appearing intellectual every time my ego finds someone it thinks it needs to resolve something with at that moment.

>calls others retards
>writes like a complete idiot
Well done, user.

There is no way back. I don't see reestablishment of Western Canon as feasible. I see post structuralism, cultural marxism and postmodernism forever surviving in the dead tissue of literature studies. Even if you put a harsh emphasis on core texts they would still wait for you in the post-grad section.

I've always thought that as far as the classroom goes, they need to borrow grading policies and participation strategies from middle and high school teachers. Nobody wants to hear someone lecture for 90 minutes - they want you to do something involving

>sizes minimal
That means hiring more teachers. Tuition needs to go up, which in turn will cause several students to drop out, which in turn makes Tuition go up more. You planning to do Ivy league here or do you just want to lose money?

>harsh discipline
Oh boy. You really want to get hit with a law suit don't you?

>tenure deny to leftists
Political discrimination. Instant law suit with no chance of winning.

>scholarships no affirmative action
Fair.

>campus organization spartan
Your'e going to have a lot of unhappy students, the guys who pay your bills. Hope they don't go to a different college!!

this guys on to something

A lot, if I wasn't on my phone I'd go into detail about all the changes I'd make

That's how it was for pretty much all time up until the 70s/80s. You went to University because you had the money and needed or wanted to learn something more in depth. Now they're glorified job placement centers.

1) Abolish the capitalist mode of production.

No public funding.

>None of these are actual problems in university
Yeah, other than the fact your standard degree can be completed in 2 years (some unis are finally beginning to offer this) and the first two years are just used to party and "find yourself" so they can squeeze every last dime out of you.
Although, only an infowars watching faggot would say muh leftists, so I'd stick with your guns on calling him retarded.

Burn the institutions to the ground, kill all the academics.

Never watched infowars, but it's funny that leftists bring it up to try and win arguments. Sounds like someone is projecting a little too hard. Agree with the rest, though.

>You really want to get hit with a law suit don't you?
>Instant law suit with no chance of winning.
change the law then

Radically change the admissions process to the most prestigious schools so that they can be something other than institutions of higher nepotism.
Eliminated private schooling.
Remove athletics from academic institutions.

Literally get rid of women and see the academia actually flourish. Not kidding/trolling.

Is a top-tier college worth going to out of general intellectual curiosity or indecision on vocation/future?

Hook everyone to machines and induce comas while pumping chemicals like endorphins.

>Is a top-tier college worth going to out of general intellectual curiosity or indecision on vocation/future?
For the former it's probably great, and I doubt it hurts for the latter.