I just had the worst class about Kant...

I just had the worst class about Kant. Fucking TA let us read the introduction in Critic of practical reason and then asked to students what they got from it. Some hobos suggested the "pure reason" is so pure you're not able to think about it. TA let these people formulate their opinions without shutting them up. 2 hours later and I still have no clue about how pure, practical, empirical and theoretical reason are related.

>being this clueless
ahaha, thanks for the chuckles, user! go ahead, blame the class

Welcome to college! Where the professors force the 80% of the class that doesn't care and doesn't want to be there, plus the 10% of the class that kind of cares but doesn't care enough to do the work properly, to spitball their inane retard opinions so they can pass the time until the class is over, while the remaining 10% with true potential or passion for the subject are smothered out.

ENJOY FOUR MORE YEARS OF IT

AND THEN ENJOY WHEN IT CONTINUES INTO GRADUATE SCHOOL

IT'S GREAT! I LOVE IT! THANKS FOR LETTING ME HERE WHAT RETARD GUY THINKS ABOUT TH SUBJECT I STUDIED FOR 10 FUCKING YEARS AND RUINED MY ENTIRE LIFE JUST SO I COULD FIND OTHER PEOPLE WHO DID THE SAME THING AND TALK TO THEM ABOUT IT. I'M GLAD THAT WE GET TO HAVE AWKWARD SILENCES FOLLOWED BY SOME RANDOM DUDE CHIMING IN TO SAY "I GUESS IT'S ABOUT LIKE... REASON, AND STUFF?"

UNIVERSITY IS GREAT! ENJOY BEING SMOTHERED IN THE BORED CHILDREN OF THE RICH, ALL DAY EVERY DAY, BEACUSE THAT'S ALL IT IS ANYMORE, A DAYCARE CENTER FOR RICH BABBIES WITH NO WHERE ELSE TO GO. IT'S A GOOD THING EVERY UNIVERSITY IS A FAST DEGRADING DIPLOMA MILL FOR CHURNING OUT GRADE INFLATED DICKHEADS

>HMMM I THINK I'LL DO MY MA IN ENGLISH LITERATURE...... I KIND OF LIKE ENGLISH LITERATURE, YOU KNOW? I MEAN I GUESS I KIND OF LIKE IT.. WHY NOT DO MY MA IN IT? HAHA IT COSTS $89,000 A YEAR BUT MY DAD IS PAYING :) I NEED ANOTHER 3 YEARS TO FIND MYSELF

DAY CARE FOR THE RICH

>I HAVE A "PHILOSOPHY DEGREE"

TRANSLATING/..... TRANSLATING.....

>I SPENT 5 YEARS IN COFFEE-DRINKIN' HIGH SCHOOL 2.0 GETTING A B-MINUS AVERAGE IN CLASSES SO DUMBED DOWN THAT THEY ARE DEVOID OF ANY CONTENT
>MY DAD OWNS A SMALL CONSTRUCTION COMPANY IN OHIO SO IT DOESNT MATTER ANYWAY
>YEAH I'M A GRADUATE STUDENT IN ANTHROPOLOGY.... HUH? WHOS CLIFFORD GEERTZ? LMAO I DONT DO THAT STUFF.... I DO LIKE... THE THING ON THE SYLLABUS..... I THINK I READ 10 PAGES OF THAT ONCE..????

Saving that copypasta. Quality stuff. gg

kek sounds like someone went to a shitty uni for dumb people

It was my first day in philosophy, the only philosophical book I read before was Daodejing. You can't expect me to get all of Kant by reading two pages from the introduction of his Critique of practical reason, can you?

Not that guy, but why are you starting with Kant then? He is a notoriously difficult philosopher to read in the original (some people argue he started the trend of "hard to read philosophy" together with Wolff and Baumgarten), not to mention his entire philosophical system is an answer to problems raised by previous philosophers.
Start with the Greeks, or at least some "introduction to philosophy" book. Most universities (in Europe at least) presuppose you studied all major philosophers in high school anyways.

>It was my first day in philosophy
>reading two pages from the introduction
>still have no clue about how pure, practical, empirical and theoretical reason are related
if you think you'll be "getting" anything in philosophy by reading two pages, just drop that course

amerilards dont concentrate on anything in high school. its all general education- mostly just a way to indoctrinate the youth and credential negroes

>presuppose you studied all major philosophers in high school anyways
Is this true? I was always in the most advanced classes from grade 6-12, but we never studied philosophy outside of introductory Plato.

University-oriented high schools in mainland Europe offer (the level of freedom depends on the country. In Italy, it's compulsory for 3 years, in France it's only compulsory for 1 year but you have 3 years if you go humanities-oriented, etc.) philosophy. It generally starts, like in a Veeky Forums utopia, from the Presocratics and it goes all the way to the Frankfurt School and Heidegger, roughly speaking. Some might follow alternative routes (like Metaphysics first, then Ethics, then Politics).
The only schools which don't teach philosophy at all are the "technical" ones (which prepare the students for skilled labor).
Not sure about the Nordic countries and Germany, but other Central and Southern European countries should follow along these lines. I'm honestly not sure how one would be able to follow lectures during your first year without having some previous context. I guess you'd end up like OP.

I usually hate caps posts but this one was great. I luv u user, keep doing me ur best.

but that is the majority of them user. Most of the so called academic people from uni just write some shit that only other academic people from their circle read and give them some shitty prizes. Like a circlejerk for academics. They don't fucking realize that being knowledgeable in a subject doesn't make them great professors.

>Some hobos suggested the "pure reason" is so pure you're not able to think about it.

Top fucking kek. New pasta?

berry gud. here hab an upboat!

Start with the Neanderthals.

STEM is the same as well. Pure wageslavery. University is a farce.

Because it's a first term course.
Also I am studying in Europe, but here in fucking post-Hitler Germany you don't have much philosophy in school (final two years of Gymnasium) exept Plato, Stoicism, Utilitarianism, Categorical Imperative and Singer if all people. The universities know that and are equally cucked. There is a single non mandatory course about the Greeks (Plato). The shit I chose for first term were Kant, Hegel and Wittgenstein.

I didn't expect that, but I thought the fuckhead of TA would clear things up a little after giggling and listening to the students speculations about what these two pages are supposed to mean for two hours.

I'm not fucking kidding, it was ridiculous. They just shat out whatever was on their mind with no connection to the text at all. Hell, at least I know what I don't know.

As someone who TAs (although STEM) I'm grateful when I get the chance to run a class with no brain power and can save my energy for research later. Admittedly I normally have labs which involve saving the man-children from themselves because they can't read the protocol so this rarely happens.

europe sounds like a dream compared to australia...

Nah, the Dutch contribution to philosophy starts and ends with Spinoza

>The shit I chose for first term were Kant, Hegel and Wittgenstein.
starting with the easiest ones, eh?

Don't be fooled, classical education is a hugely overrated meme and as someone who actually received a classical formation in high school I can tell you that a scientifically illiterate humanitard is one billion times worse than a philosophically illiterate STEMsperg. The only good thing about classical education is that you're so used to memorizing so much useless bullshit that when you go to Uni you can pick whatever you want and you'll do good because you're good at studying. Also in general classical education in high school sucks because they try to package so much shit in such a limited span of time that this results in you knowing only the basics of the basics of the humanities-related topics that you study.

t. Someone who actually started with the greeks and it wasn't the Veeky Forums meme version of the greeks

Alternatives were Plato, Knowledge and Perception, Introduction to Philosophy, Contradiction, Falsification, Analytical Philosophy, Aristoteles (my bad there were two non mandatory greek courses). Since I'm studying a STEM subject concurrently I wasn't completely free in regards to my time table. I chose the courses I had time for about the authors whose names I read a lot on Veeky Forums. Hell I would have even chosen the spook master if possible.

Where do you study that these are first term choices? I'm german as well and most of the first semester courses are introductory courses (Logic, Theoretical Philosophy and Practical Philosoohy) with electives specializing in specific texts (Republic, Kritik der reinen Vernunft, Tractatus, etc.). I'm currently reading A New History of Western Philosophy as a preparation and it's quite useful, so you might want to check it out.

Having also received a classic education, what should I do to make up for my lack of scientific knowledge? I mean, my utter lack : I barely know pre-calculus, and I know nothing of any of the basic sciences.

Nietzsche's second Alma mater. We have lectures about Theoretical Philosophy and History of Philosophy in first term as well. Of the courses (Seminare) I've listed we had to pick three. The shitfest I talked about in the OP was a elective text comprehension class, I thank God that my actual Kant course (Critique of Pure Reason) is taught by a great Prof. Hell I now even know what pure reason is supposed to be and what Kants objective for writing this book was all about.

Sauce on Miley pic?

>it's a future taxi driver/BISS seller complains that high schools focus on practical subjects more episode
Reine Töpferei.

Nigger, I don't even have a drivers license. And what is BISS supposed to mean. I didn't complain about the STEM focus at all, in fact I enjoyed STEM the most. I would just adapt the curriculum and throw out religion (first 5 years of Gymnasium) for better philosophy (last 2 years of Gymnasium). I also hated music (singing), sports (except running), geography (diashow of my teachers multiple vacations) and English/French (because they didn't teach us a thing). Right now I'm two months short of becoming my license as physician. But in the middle of my studies I got an existential crisis, my interest in humanities arose and now I'm here shitposting on Veeky Forums.

> short of becoming
of getting my license, I mean

>music
>sports
Both essential for growing well-rounded individuals.
>they didn't teach us a thing
>diashow of my teachers multiple vacations
Sounds like your particular Gymnasium's fault, not the system's. You're right about religion, though, but that's in Grundgesetz and not going away anytime soon.

> I still have no clue about how pure, practical, empirical and theoretical reason are related.

How about you read it yourself