Is Melville THE author?

Is Melville THE author?

Whenever Ulysses, GR or IJ get brought up, there is always some sort of disagreement as to whether or not Joyce's, Poncho's or DFW's masterpieces are overrated. But when it comes to Melville, even Nabokov stated he loved him, and I've never seen anybody on Veeky Forums considering Moby Dick a shitty novel (which happens a lot with the meme trilogy).

So is Herman really above them all?

>never seen anybody on Veeky Forums considering Moby Dick a shitty novel
lurk more newfag

I do, and it's a rare occurrence.

also /b/--->

Yeah and they always get called for the plebs they are.

Melville is fantastic. Read Moby Dick, read Billy Budd, read the Confidence Man, read his stories, read his poetry (highly underrated, or at least ignored, desu)

joyce > melville > pynchon
dfw is a ya author so its harder to compare

this actually

>Whenever Ulysses, GR or IJ get brought up, there is always some sort of disagreement as to whether or not Joyce's, Poncho's or DFW's masterpieces are overrated. But when it comes to Melville, even Nabokov stated he loved him, and I've never seen anybody on Veeky Forums considering Moby Dick a shitty novel (which happens a lot with the meme trilogy).
Opinions of some mildly-well-read faggots on an Armenian stamp collecting forum don't have much to do with the objective quality of a work.
Moby Dick is my favourite book of all time, though.

well, less and less people actually read books such as ulysses in this board, and even less people is willing to discuss it. that plus the shitposters + /pol/tards makes it impossible for decent discussions.

a lot of the hate the meme trilogy gets (and similar authors/books, such as mcelroy, gass, gaddis, bolaƱo, etc) is because of people who didn't even tried reading those books even for 1 chapter. they don't read it either because a) they are just lazy; b) they are so convinced it is shit without even having read it so they just trashtalk it to feel better that they haven't read it

I've read Ulysses and it was terrible.

what you didnt like about it

Melville is the only man I love. It's a deep, no homo love. I want to go back in time and talk to him for hours and work the sea with him.

I haven't seen a lot of hate for Kafka despite his popularity.

Kafka was a weird, whingy and scrawny jew with /d/-tier fetishes

I agree but I meant his work

Your life is terrible and it's nearing its end.

He might not like it because it was.... How do the English say? Shit. Too much yanking it and such masquerading as art.

Not if I see you first, little buddy.

>So is Herman really above them all?
Of course. Joyce is sophomoric bullshit, Pynchon is le quirky so-random memes, Wallace is a sad tryhard who couldn't even write a decent sci-fi novel.

>objective quality of a work

how much of each of these 3 novels have you read?

>Joyce is sophomoric bullshit

nice to see that you're done with The Portrait, next stop is Ulysses

Nah m8, been here for a while, Moby Penis is treated pretty reverently overall

that's interesting because I've never seen any of the posturing psueds who praise Moby Dick explain why it's good.

they all sound like the type of people who would pretend to like something so that a man with glasses doesn't think less of them.

Why would you expect a posturing pseud to be able to explain his opinion on anything? He's a pseud, regardless of his opinions. It's all fake.