Is there a name for the philosophy that getting shit on by life is a necessary fuel for human growth...

Is there a name for the philosophy that getting shit on by life is a necessary fuel for human growth? That when bad stuff happens its literally the only meaningful catalyst for bringing about self worth or deep, life ruining regret and that while success of the event is not guaranteed you shouldn't try to avoid strife at all costs because it is the very thing that makes your existence worthwhile? That when you live in a way that avoids strife, where you are absolutely dependent on another human to shelter you from life you aren't really living yet?

I'd like to find some books related to this subject. I've been fascinated by characters in shows and books that take the harder path just because they don't want an easy path to success.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1ZSHEuvfU3w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't know, but I also find the idea really interesting.

"Facts"

Neetshee

Fedorarich NEETsCHA

Dostoevsky

There's meaning hidden in pain.

The Myth of Sisyphus for sure. Also try some Schopenhauer and Nietzsche.

Stoicism.

>recommends life denying philosophy to someone who wants the opposite
wew

Cosmic Cuckoldry: Stoicism-Christianity-Nietzsche's drivel.

How is stoicism life denying?

Better cut off my legs. Walking is too easy and i have to suffer.

A better example would be someone offering to give you a ride during a marathon and you turning them down because there's no point in finishing the marathon if you don't do it right. Another example would be trying to find a real job when your legs are removed and still trying to provide for yourself rather than just accepting your role as a helpless cripple and letting that define your life. You can accept the role of the victim who is fucked by life and give up, thinking that everyone else is lucky, and thinking that your the only one who is unfairly suffering, or you can choose to accept that everyone has hardships in life and overcoming them is what allows us to advance beyond the person we were yesterday. Conflict and strife are what define heroes.

Most of Veeky Forums's reading is done on Veeky Forums, anything else is mostly skimming wikipedia articles.
Although to be fair he's probably a Nietzsche fan who takes every one of his attacks too seriously. Nietzsche did attack stoicism in a similar manner due to their supposed asceticism but anyone who actually reads the stoics will find them to share quite a few conceptual similarities with Nietzsche himself.

"According to nature” you want to live? Oh you noble Stoics, what deceptive words these are! Imagine a being like nature, wasteful beyond measure, indifferent beyond measure, without purposes and consideration, without mercy and justice, fertile and desolate and uncertain at the same time; imagine indifference itself as a power—how could you live according to this indifference? Living—is that not precisely wanting to be other than this nature? Is not living—estimating, preferring, being unjust, being limited, wanting to be different? ….But this is an ancient, eternal story: what formerly happened with the Stoics still happens today, too, as soon as any philosophy begins to believe in itself. It always creates the world in its own image; it cannot do otherwise. Philosophy is this tyrannical drive itself; the most spiritual will to power, to the “creation of the world,” to the causa prima

>proceeds to quote Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil
Called it. You should really read a few stoic texts for yourself and see what concretely stoicism is in practice. Nietzsche, and I don't blame him at all, liked to pick his targets as an excuse to make his own point and to make it with style.

look into Boethius' thoughts about the wheel of fortune

That sounds dangerously Calvinist. Beware of conflating the need for struggle with the need for suffering. Read some Camus, Nietzsche and Schopenhauer if you want but I'll also suggest Hume (which is not necessarily related to this theme) if only for you to realize martyrdom is not quite what you're thinking of.

Seneca would be perfect for you.

I'm not refering to martyrdom. The act of being a martyr is something I'd associate with trying to sacrifice yourself to make a change in the world for the benefit of others. What I'm saying is that life IS going to shit on you at some point. You're going to lose family members and friends suddenly and without warning. You are going to be tasked with unfair responsibility and overworked at your job. It seems to be popular for philosophers to channel the frustrations into works about how to "fix" these problems through changes in the governance of men and their ideologies. In my opinion there's no point in trying to fight against the reality of unfairness in life, but it isn't wasted effort to turn the unfairness into a catalyst of self improvement and understanding. Your life isn't over until your dead and I hear so many young adults my age act like their life is over, and so many older adults that stop really living once they reach the age of 40. They spend all there time thinking about the mistakes they've made like they were some pivotal ending point in their life and they never see it as just a step along the character that makes them growing person. Embracing the hardships of life and meeting them head on seems to lead to happiness.

Most Western philosophy says this basically.

I believe it's true, but I just sometimes find myself asking why? Why pain?

youtube.com/watch?v=1ZSHEuvfU3w

You don't need philosophy for that, just roll with Camus

You could look at Nieztsche like all these other sperglords are suggesting. Or alternately you could look at Irenean theodicies and those that build on them. The one that jumps to mind is John Hick's soul making theodicy. Read "Evil and the God of Love" to get a sense for what's going on here. The back-of-a-postage-stamp idea here is that humans couldn't be created perfect or it would be an empty perfection, and so have to perfect themselves and be perfected by suffering. Good shit, I think.

For believe me! — the secret for harvesting from existence the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment is: to live dangerously! Build your cities on the slopes of Vesuvius! Send your ships into uncharted seas! Live at war with your peers and yourselves! Be robbers and conquerors as long as you cannot be rulers and possessors, you seekers of knowledge! Soon the age will be past when you could be content to live hidden in forests like shy deer! At long last the search for knowledge will reach out for its due: — it will want to rule and possess, and you with it!

dat good nietzsche shit.

i applaud you op, for your interesting and courageous outlook.

>being an empty funnel that others project their will onto the world through

I think you're thinking of stoicism

>I've been fascinated by characters in shows and books that take the harder path just because they don't want an easy path to success.
Examples? Funnily enough, I only know of a real person like that, with no knowledge of fictitious examples.

Goro in Major is like that.

See:

>(a voluntary abstinence from worldly pleasures), which enables a person to develop clear judgment, inner calm and freedom from suffering (which it considers the ultimate goal).

That doesn't sound right.

Living a life of austerity and toiling on a farm is hardly living, user, regardless of how difficult it is.

Read Keats