The Catcher in The Rye

Is "The Catcher in the Rye" a perfect novel? Here are some famous authors opinions on it and Salinger

Samuel Beckett: “I liked it very much indeed, more than anything for a long time.”

Vladimir Nabokov: "Salinger, J. D. By far one of the finest artists in recent years."

William Faulkner: “Let me repeat. I have not read all the work of this present generation of writing. I have not had time yet. So I must speak only of the ones I do know. I am thinking now of what I rate the best one, Salinger's Catcher in the Rye, perhaps because this one expresses so completely what I have tried to say. A youth, father to what will—must—someday be a man, more intelligent than some and more sensitive than most, who—he would not even have called it by instinct because he did not know he possessed it because God perhaps had put it there, loved man and wished to be a part of mankind, humanity, who tried to join the human race and failed. To me, his tragedy was not that he was, as he perhaps thought, not tough enough or brave enough or deserving enough to be accepted into humanity. His tragedy was that when he attempted to enter the human race, there was no human race there. There was nothing for him to do save buzz, frantic and inviolate, inside the glass wall of his tumbler, until he either gave up or was himself, by himself, by his own frantic buzzing, destroyed.”"

Ernest Hemingway: "Hemingway, on the other hand, is happy to name Salinger one of his three favorite contemporary authors; when he dies, a copy of “The Catcher in the Rye” is found in his library. "

Phillip Roth: The response of college students to the work of J. D. Salinger indicates that he, more than anyone else, has not turned his back on the times but, instead, has managed to put his finger on whatever struggle of significance is going on today between self and culture.” Roth also has "The Cather in the Rye" listed as one of his 15 favorite novels.

As for me I think it's the greatest thing ever written, nothing written before or after it has come close to the characterization, narration, prose style, and emotional resonance and tenderness of this book. I'm always sobbing whenever I read the final two chapters.

Solid fallacy thread. Good book tho

No, I haven't read it but it's shit

A true piece of postmodern literature and the rise of interventionist existentialism. Literally guided the USA national culture into becoming the world police.

"interventionist existentialism"? can you expand?

The part where he rapes his sister was just too uch for me. Didnt even finish

Holden was obsessed with the injustice and suffering of this world. So he became the catcher in the rye who would save children from falling off the edge of a cliff. Though, these children were all people incapable of protecting themselves, from our mortal coils. People incapable of reazligin the truth of reality and crime, and governments, and states. So he, and he alone, as a metaphor for the USA and states, would intervene and act on their behalf whether they wanted it or not. Because it was the right thing to do. Its what he found meaning in, intervening in people's lives so he could help them regardless of their wishes because they didn't know.

OP here. I have two quotes from Murakami to add.

Haruki Murakami: "I was constantly astonished by how good it all was. I was just impressed, you know, and kept thinking “so it was this great all along”. I’m a novelist too, but I couldn’t write a work like this. Definitely not."

"Nevertheless, [...] Catcher did remain inexplicably entrenched my heart. Throughout my life, Catcher was always inside me. That makes it makes it a pretty mysterious novel, doesn’t it? It isn’t easily forgotten. It just persistently kept building up in my peripheral vision."

Nabokov was an utter hack in his literary criticism.
He deserves respect for Lolita, but the stuff he wrote on Dostoyevsky and Thomas Mann is just unforgivable.
*spits*

It's a fairy story, not an allegory.

That's a somewhat bizarre interpretation, but if you think TCITR was responsible for pushing US interventionism then you're historically illiterate

It formed in the national consiousness a desire to do so and a justification for it under post-demornist existentialism. To say that it was a [president that declared war would be false.

"post-demornist"? What does that mean? I'm not saying that your interpretation is incorrect it's just a weird connection to make, you're assuming that everyone interpreted Holden's metaphor of being the catcher the same way, when I interpreted it much differently.

Also, it was not the most best-selling novel of it's year, it was only #4 on the NY times best seller list. While it increased in popularity with time I don't see how it could have formed an entire national consciousness.

Every seen where a character is talked to from jumping off of a building is a reference to the novel and its ideas.

Are you being serious? That's not true. You're making very exaggerated claims with nothing to back them up.

I have an art and english degree so thats me backing it up. Also, a psuedo-cult hatred of the novel was built after the shooting of JFK so it got a lot of its press during that time.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not. The fact that you have a college degree means absolutely nothing. I do know that the novel got a lot of press and was influential to many shooters, but you're massively overstating it's influence.

*wind blows the spit back into your face*
Faggot.

I’m a big fan of franny and zooey. Anyone else particularly like that book more?

my guy

Are his other books worth reading?

Oh yes

What a cringe reply. Please fuck off back to red.dit asap.

I hated it actually, but that's probably because was not 16 when I read it

Everyone in my class but me who had to read it hated the book, didn't really have to do with the age maybe, just different tastes I guess

It literally encapsulated a time and place perfectly...it was a like a string of american chekhov short stories of one character strung together in a nice digestible novel.

Great book.

Ol Sammy B was in his 50s when he first read it, get yourself some aesthetic appreciation plebe

No, but it's the ultimate pleb filter

It's a terrible book, you pretentious fuckwads.

Explain why

It's a good book. It's also the supreme pleb filter

Huck Finn and The Great Gatsby are good pleb filters as well.

I read it in high school and can't remember anything about it other than the protagonist's name. I don't recall relating to it at all. Maybe I should reread it.

>the stuff he wrote on Dostoyevsky and Thomas Mann
is mostly spot on if too harsh on Mann

Psuedfilters also. Same goes for Hemingway.

>part of high school curriculum
>"I must assert my opinion that this string of pages full of words -often called a book in popular language- is nothing but cheap entertainment for the uncultured masses."
>"Now if you would excuse me, I must have most important matters to attend to. As you can see, Joyce-posting will not do itself."
>.t pseud

It's really just a book about an edgelord with mental issues, if you're into that then by all means have fun

I now dislike all of those authors

I don't know if I like it more, but it's a very good book.