Be honest, how much of this have you actually read?

Be honest, how much of this have you actually read?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglosphere
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

About 300 pages

all of it
in portuguese

all of it
twice

All of it once and various passages numerous times.

All of it.

The entire thing three times

None, and I probably never will :^)

I don't read shitty Veeky Forums memes or the mediocrity that anglos praise overcompensating for their genetically defined lack of discernible talent.

give me an example of a good book

>Irishman who wrote about Dublin but lived most of his life in Paris and Trieste = Anglo.
Lurk more fgt.

Just the title

The first paragraph. I've read all of Finnegans Wake though.

I've read finnegans wake too. What a ride eh..

>Veeky Forums memes
>implying no one cared about Ulysses before Veeky Forums "meemd" it
You've only known of this site for, at the most, five-to-eight years.

>anglo

wanker

You're not special for having done so

Joyce isn’t worth it

I’d much rather read Melville again for aesthetics

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglosphere

neck yourself, terminal tard

all of it

oi mate, me too. brfag or portuga? I'm the former, read Antonio Houaiss' translation, thoroughly enjoyable. Will reread it in english once I finish 2 more books on my list. Which translation did you read? did you enjoy it?

irish people aren't anglo
they're celtic

>being this insecure

twice through

I read the entire thing but honestly it was a waste for me. Read it when I first came here back when I was 19 and wanted to be able to say I had read it. Forced myself through it without really understanding much of what was going on and not really enjoying it the entire time. I would go back and read it again but honestly I don't want to spend my time forcing my way through it again.

Someone is unhappy

Half-way there

I read all of it for a grad school class. Best chapter is Sirens, worst is Penelope. FUCK Penelope, what an infuriating read. If that's anything like how women think then every prejudice against them is justified. But I suspect it isn't and Joyce was just being a shitter.

I couldn't even jerk off to the scene of Molly taking a shit.

I got about 15% of the way through it (on the kindle) before I had to stop for school stuff. It's okay, there's some parts of it I like

none of it

All of it.

Stop posting qts on my board

I read through a couple hundred pages then dropped it. It was pretentious rubbish.

You're lucky. I had to read this for class and suffer through it.

If English is your first language you're an Anglo.

It's a good book.
The Re:Joyce podcast is a nice way to enjoy it more than whatever amount you did or didn't,

as well as Modern Words, Mythic Worlds by Campbell
and his Wings of Art audio lecture

All of it except the last chapter because I was exhausted.
I've read the first 3 chapters multiple times. Proteus is beautiful.

All of it twice. Great book, maybe the greatest, needs time between reads though.

You're an uneducated moron. Kill yourself

The last chapter is pretty readable desu, but i'm not judging because i definetely skipped around.

br here too. was thinking if i wouldn't be missing too much reading a translation, maybe i should try reading it in english first, and then if i find it too hard then resort to Houaiss. Thanks for tip tho, will look into it

i think the last chapter is the one i liked the least, it drags for too long and Ithaca is a nice ending, my favorites are Proteus, Sirens and Ithaca

reading the replies i don't know if i should read this book asap or never set foot in a room containing it wtf

the first two pages

Run away, user. Run far away.

My girlfriend bought me a translated copy for Christmas. Fucking fortune down the drain.

why tho

All of it,took a unit about Modernism due to the fact that this book was on the syllabus and I was forced to read it.
Got a HD in the final essay with a closed reading of the Sirens episode regarding a question about "Modernist Authors paying a hightened attention to sound" or smthn.

Good book, can recommend.
Protip: read along to the RTE audiobook uploaded to Youtube.

It is simply better not to know. For it is better to be ignorant of the pseud ways than to know what lies within.

That way you can avoid falling into pseudom or have the pseuds come after you for not liking their special book.

Fuck, I felt kinda drawn to it but if it's pseud territory, better to keep away.

No, I am too pretentious to read a difficult book.

I've never read Ulysses someone give me a quick rundown. Is it good? What's it about? Spoil the whole plot.

pathetically transparent samefaggotry

t. butthurt pseud

It's a book about a day in Dublin. It is split into different sections that very roughly connect to books of the Odyssey. It is somewhat autobiographical, as it picks up with Stephen Dedalus some time after Portrait ends.

The different sections of the books have very different styles. At some points the prose is difficult to understand, at other times it's easy. Because the book is long (~600 pages) and at times difficult to understand, a lot of people feel superior for having read it, and other people feel superior for having not read it. I haven't finished it btw so I can't really spoil the plot for you.

Also even though I said it is somewhat autobiographical, the book actually follows a poorly drawn pseudo-Jewish cuckold named Leopold Bloom,

I don't read books about cuckolds. Mental poison.

You don't read this, you skip through the pages glancing at print.

The entire thing, half of time with my brain not registering any meaning in the letters that should form words, especially at the very end
The whorehouse and the beachwalk were the best parts of it all

my man, I thought about it before reading the translation and I decided to read in portuguese first. I think it would be a bit annoying to read a translation after you read the superior original one. Idk if I would a translation if I already read the original. nonetheless, as I said, I thoroughly enjoyed it and cant wait to read the original for the first time

good luck

complementing my post

>missing too much
well, cant say exactly because havent read the original yet, however, everything that I've seen/read about ulysses was present in the Houaiss' translations (eg word plays, puns, nasty things, lewdness, humour, so yes, some things are certainly lost, but not all, some will change just how they are presented but are definitely there)

i read the wikipedia page so i could understand Veeky Forums funni mames

I read a sentence and realized it was garbage. Never attempted to read it again.

Hello I'm a very intelligent individual and I'd like to share some of my experiences with this great work
> read for the first time as a 15 year-old boy, admit I couldn't understand everything though
> have been rereading it every year since then ( 12 ywars ago)
> each time I read this bible of English Lit is like immersing myself in a new reality, despite knowing prwtty much everything - go even some parts of it memorized
> have dedicated almost all my academic life to the study of this work and its author

All of it, twice. It was okay. I'll probably reread it again soon.

I read through it twice, realised what a pretentious pseud I was being, then tried to jump off the nearest building. It was a bungalow and I landed in a puddle. I woke up, relieved that the nightmare was over.

I skipped when one of the POV's were at work skimmed read the yes this yes that marry me yes love yes did i brush my teeth yes so about 80% will reread though one day it was pretty good I wasn't ready for it.

the state of this board

Anglo mo thóin, gabh suas ort féin agus na sasanaigh

All of it, and it was shit.

I read the first chapter and a bit into the second

No you blubbering idiot, Anglo is an ethnic term referring to a Germanic tribe, the Angles

>600 pages is long

the absolute state of Veeky Forums

>still havent realised it has no plot
:^

It is
Usually a book is only 600 pages of it's an author's longer works or if he was paid per word

Way too long. Dubliners was enough Joyce for me and it was boring as hell

Zero, i still have Portrait to finish first

lol retard

it sucks

>projecting this hard
How's that related to anything else in this thread?

p.s.: Everyone and their mum has read FW

The edition I read is only separated in chapters I, II and III with no names given to them.

Ulysses is easy. It's an easy read. It's not academic, it's not theological dribble; it's a simple story told in interesting ways, with lots of humour and historical/literary references. If you can't "understand it" or it's "too dense/long" then you have no chance against actual literature.
The absolute Brainlet-ness of this board

All of it.

no wonder you get called 'pseud' or 'pretentious' when you claim to have read and/or enjoyed ulysses or gr or any book longer than 500 pages for that matter

disgusting

Are you being serious? Cuz if you are how did you even get into grad school? Oof

>dribble
hee hee, if it weren't for this, I still would've discerned the b8, have a you for mixing things up

it also means 'English' (language)

words can have more than one meaning

this and the active GR thread prove no one on this board has actually read ‘muh meme trilogy’. Pseuds all of you. It’s a masterpiece.

>and/or

>Sirens
>not Hades, Wandering Rocks, Cyclops or Oxen of the Sun
You have to go back

The Oxen of the Sun part of Ulysses is the most tortuous, un-enjoyable part of the book what are you saying
>Oh but he goes through the entirety of English lit in the space of like 100 pages, it can't be anything other than a masterpiece
Yeah, but what you aren't realizing is that this is Joyce flexing his literary dick muscles at you. Who the fuck wants to read badly translated Ye Olde English for 10 pages before he actually starts to get going into readable English, it doesn't make you smart, it makes you a sado-masochist.

Circe is the best chapter in the book, closely followed by Ithaca.
This is an objective fact...