Rome

Best history books on Rome as a whole? I'd prefer a fairly brief overview (300-600pgs) with good, even archaic prose. Or just recommend anything Rome related and post charts

bump

Rome by Robert Hughes

Gibbons rise and fall of the Roman empire is the classic. I also recommend Rubicon and Dynasty by Tom Holland. SPQR by Mary Beard is a popular contemporary overview (wich I havent read yet). Definitely check out The history of Rome podcast too.

HBO's rome is shit. Dont go there

I agree, its not even enjoyable. First two seasons of Spartacus are way more fun.

Love how you recommended Gibbon while posting that image

thoughts on Goldsworthy?

Start with the Mommsen.

Livy from the founding

Dionysius of Halicarnassus
Livy
Plutarch
Polybius
Appian
Florus
Velleius Paterculus
Sallust
Caesar
Cicero
Dio Cassius
Tacitus
Suetonius
Herodian
Aurelius
Scriptores Historiae Augustae
Eutropius
Zosimus
Ammianus Marcellinus
Orosius
Eusebios of caesarea
Socrates scholasticus
Theodoret
Sozomen
Evagrius

Has anyone read Mommsen's History of Rome? How does it compare?

P.S., Peter Brown's "World of Late Antiquity" is a pretty concise overview of the late roman empire (about 200pgs). It downplays the suffering and destruction brought about by the barbarian migrations, but otherwise does a nice job capturing what is unique and interesting about the 3rd-7th centuries.

I second Rubicon. Absolutely fantastic and a delight to read

Is there a particular reason people don't like Gibbon? Is it just the Christian parts?

For what amounts to a detailed and enjoyable history of the world from the Antonines to the Renaissance, covering everywhere from England to Yemen to Mongolia, it seems to get most of the important details right.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with SPQR

A History of Rome: Down to the Reign of Constantine by M. Cary and H.H. Scullard is also good.

J.B. Bury:
- A History of the Roman Empire From its Foundation to the Death of Marcus Aurelius
- A History of the Later Roman Empire from Arcadius to Irene
- A History of the Later Roman Empire from the Death of Theodosius I to the Death of Justinian
- A History of the Eastern Roman Empire from the Fall of Irene to the Accession of Basil I (A. D. 802-867)
- The Invasion of Europe by the Barbarians

He edited Gibbon's book too btw

I don't not like Gibbon. It's just he recommended Gibbon while that image has him crossed out in the top right

>best history book on the entire Roman empire
>300-600 pages

that's dumb. the best history books are comprehensive

As people already said: Tom Holland's books are pretty good.
Additionally I can also recommend Adrian Goldsworthy, although his books are not really an overview and tend to revolve around a specific emperor or period. I read "The Punic Wars", "Caesar, Life of a Colossus", "How Rome Fell" and "Augustus: First Emperor of Rome".